Pyrmont Point landbased.

reeling

Hello Folks!

Did about 90 minutes at Pyrmont Point today, on the running-out tide in overcast weather and very rippled water just using frozen prawns. We caught some undersize snapper, whiting, and finally a decent sized bream - around 28cm and VERY fat. :clapping: It was hooked only on the outside skin of the lip :huh: , and my hook actually came off the line about 3 seconds after I had it on the wharf! :blush: I'm actually incredibly lucky that I landed this fish because I also had no landing net, and it was a ~150cm hoist up from the water! Was lots of fun and had a couple of strong runs, and is the biggest fish I've caught in a loong while :thumbup: . However, I think that my reel is carking it 'cause it keeps getting stuck whilst I'm trying to wind in :mad3: , which gets temporarily fixed if I wind backwards and then immediately forward.. anyone have any ideas what may be wrong with it or how to fix it?? a a few weeks ago it got submerged in salt water, and then a week after that it was winding very roughly, so i washed it out with tap water... and didn't use it for 2 weeks or so... :unsure:

I'm using the Improved Clinch for all of my knots, and monofilament.. would anyone recommend any other knots to avoid them unwinding like this?

post-21292-059254600 1327668333_thumb.jpg

Edited by reeling

That's a nice looking bream, I haven't so much as seen a decent sized bream in a while. Mind you that's probably a problem on my end though.

As far as the problem with your reel is concerned, the saltwater may have done its damage despite you trying to wash it. A post from this forum seems to cover it pretty well.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=51154

I wouldn't recommend stripping it down if you don't know what you're doing though, if you're anything like me it will probably end up as reel parts in a container :1prop:.

Knotwise, I've just been using the uni knot and making sure it has been lubricated before tightening so as not to weaken the line.

Hope that helps!

Edited by t3zza

the smile says it all your having fun and thats what its all about buy a good reel i think shimano reels have a five year waranty but more importantly buy good line as for knots theres a good link on the top of the page called knots check that out good luck and try peeling the prawns and using very little split shots for weight free spool your bait that will upsize your bream and should increase your catch 5 fold cheers gary

Hello Folks!

Did about 90 minutes at Pyrmont Point today, on the running-out tide in overcast weather and very rippled water just using frozen prawns. We caught some undersize snapper, whiting, and finally a decent sized bream - around 28cm and VERY fat. :clapping: It was hooked only on the outside skin of the lip :huh: , and my hook actually came off the line about 3 seconds after I had it on the wharf! :blush: I'm actually incredibly lucky that I landed this fish because I also had no landing net, and it was a ~150cm hoist up from the water! Was lots of fun and had a couple of strong runs, and is the biggest fish I've caught in a loong while :thumbup: . However, I think that my reel is carking it 'cause it keeps getting stuck whilst I'm trying to wind in :mad3: , which gets temporarily fixed if I wind backwards and then immediately forward.. anyone have any ideas what may be wrong with it or how to fix it?? a a few weeks ago it got submerged in salt water, and then a week after that it was winding very roughly, so i washed it out with tap water... and didn't use it for 2 weeks or so... :unsure:

I'm using the Improved Clinch for all of my knots, and monofilament.. would anyone recommend any other knots to avoid them unwinding like this?

post-21292-059254600 1327668333_thumb.jpg

Maybe ur anti reverse is on the little clip under the spool that when u flick it ur reel can go bakwards, Or the salt has probably stuffed it up what kind of reel is it?