Plenty Squid - Plenty Bonito - Plenty Salmon - Plenty Kingfish dustings !

dhype

Hey Raiders

With all the surface action happening atm in the Bay i headed out to give them another crack

I also heard the other day that there were some fat 85cm - 90cm kings swimming around too... more on that later

Heading into the main part of Botany I could see the water splashing in clumps everywhere.. sure sign of bonnies feeding.

Anyway drove pass all the surface action cuz I had to get a few squid before everyone else does.. i managed to get 12 in 90 minutes :biggrin2:

post-10545-017985300 1327789428_thumb.jpg

post-10545-068889000 1327789431_thumb.jpg

(i have 2 bait tanks on my small polycraft)

Back to the surface action and there were plenty of boats chasing the fast move schools... it was pretty much start motor, zoom across to schools of fish, 4 or 5 casts, land 1 or 0 fish ... do it over again!

schools were made up of bonito, smelly salmon and bigger tailor

post-10545-066006600 1327789440_thumb.jpg

post-10545-024880700 1327789461_thumb.jpg

They were all feeding on these..

post-10545-022829700 1327789452_thumb.jpg

my boat was littered with these small "glassies" when the fish spat them out... I tried small chrome slices but the clear plastic out fished it by huge margin... maybe 6 to 1.

Ended up landing countless bonnies, 4 salmon and 2 tailor....most fish released and keep a few bonnies for the smoker box/sashimi

Now to the kings... a bloke at the ramp earlier said there were big kings about 90cm in the bay taking large live squid.... mmmm... might give that a go I thought to myself.... Now, with near zero reports of legal kings in the bay I have not been bringing out my downrigger rod/reels combo on the boat - wrong move!

Anyway, set setup my DR and use my heaveiest combo I had on the boat... a Tcure snapper rod, a 3000 reel with 15lb

post-10545-076303000 1327789434_thumb.jpg

Let just say there is some big kings in the bay right now but I can't show you any! I got dusted like to wouldn't believe... :1crybaby:

At a certain spot I would get a hit on every pass and they were big fish... the fish would run of cover but i did not have the weapons to stop them... bust off everytime! Lost 4 or 5 good fish as i was fish close in and was unable to turn there heads... :ranting2:

This lasted for only about an hour before the moved on... spooked due to the lost fish?

Next week I bring out the big guns! There will be no escape! :devil:

Even though i did not land any kings it was still a very good day on the water and took home a small feed as we11

post-10545-073316000 1327789466_thumb.jpg

So boy and girls... head to the bays cuz there is plenty of action happening.

Cheers

Trung

Edited by dhype

Thanks for the great report Trungy.

Ive got these powerbait minnows which look exactly like those glassies, i might put on a resin head jighead and give it try on the bonnies next time im out on the bay.

Shame about those kings, Im gonna try to get out there later this week to catch those ones you lost.

Dang

Nice report. At last it sounds like the fishing is improving and the kings might be starting to get a little more consistent.

Just a word of advice... I wouldn't be trusting any of my gear in a plastic rod holder when I'm down rigging. It might feel secure but believe me a decent king will show no respect for plastic rod holders. If you are using whole squid to target better fish it will only be a matter of time before the inevitable happens and you lose a rod over the side! Do yourself a favour and fit some ss rod holders!

:biggrin2: Good report Trung sounds and looks like you had a good day apart from getting dusted by big kings.

hahaha - getting dusted by the kings was what made it a good day!! All part of the fun... If we landed all the fish we hooked i do not think we would get the urge to do it all again to seek revenge the next trip!

I love reading your reports, always plenty of action. would love to come along one day to see it all. I live right on Kogarah Bay and get out on BB whenever I can but never with the action you get...

good haul.

Hey Benums.. it is all about time in the water... I only started fishing the bay in the last 2 or so years and did not catch anything for a good 6 months. I persisted and made it a task to target 1 species untill i got good at that and then target another species...

I found if i went out to catch whatevers there with no plan I would end up catching nothing!!! I pretty much got the flatties, kingfish, squid sorted now... currently working on the jewfish.

Also, start using lures if you are not doing so already ... Soft plastic especially have been a game changer for me.

Stick with it mate and sooner or later you will crack the botany bay code!!

Nice report. At last it sounds like the fishing is improving and the kings might be starting to get a little more consistent.

Just a word of advice... I wouldn't be trusting any of my gear in a plastic rod holder when I'm down rigging. It might feel secure but believe me a decent king will show no respect for plastic rod holders. If you are using whole squid to target better fish it will only be a matter of time before the inevitable happens and you lose a rod over the side! Do yourself a favour and fit some ss rod holders!

Hi Jim

Thanks for the advise on the rod holders... I do have SS rod holders in the shed but have not installed them as i do not like the design of them. I have found that all SS rod holders "hold" your reel outside of the holder tube and over the side of the boat.. there is nothing in place to stop the rod/reel flying out striaght out! If you see the SCOTTY rod holders I use, the reel is sitting inside the craddle and is locked away via the collar. My drag is set "firm" but and not enough presure to where a king would snap the holders. Also, I hate the fact that all the SS holders i have seen cannot be removed.. i hate holders in my way when i flick lures around!

I would like to hear what type of holders others use/recommend.

Hey Trungy,

I've never caught a squid in the Bay (not through lack of trying either :ranting2: )but would love to...where can I start to try and catch these ?.... The only place Ive really tried is on the eastern side of bare Island...Thanks in advance...

Kev

:biggrin2: x 100

Plenty of squid at Bare Island but plenty of people as well = no squid for you.

Find the kelp and you will find the squid.. scout around for your own personal patch and do not just rely on the "well known" locations

i do not think too many people will speak in the open forums about their squid loctions... live squid is worth more the gold when it comes to jew/kings/everything else. Is this the same as asking for someone to post their credit card details on the forums?

hahahah did you say you wont say were, maybe get rid of that photo with the oil warf behind it :tease::074:

that photo was staged !!!! hahahahah !!!!! Location X is actually... :1prop:

Edited by dhype

good one mate! looks like I am going to have to try and get out mid-week as I am sure the bay is going to be a parking lot come next weekend :biggrin2: and as Dangas said, we'll be trying to get the ones you so kindly put back , and about the pic with the oil rig in the background, can we all have a pic of a squid with background as well instead of always in the bait tank :biggrin2::biggrin2:

See you out there buddy!

Nice work Trung...time to get the elephant guns out :yahoo: give those big boys a bit of a touch up

Cheers Stewy

Hey Stewy

my elephant gun = stella 8000 SWPG .. there will be no escape!! chic chic boom !! :thumbup:

good one mate! looks like I am going to have to try and get out mid-week as I am sure the bay is going to be a parking lot come next weekend :biggrin2: and as Dangas said, we'll be trying to get the ones you so kindly put back , and about the pic with the oil rig in the background, can we all have a pic of a squid with background as well instead of always in the bait tank :biggrin2::biggrin2:

See you out there buddy!

"can we all have a pic of a squid with background as well instead of always in the bait tank"

Sorry how unthoughful of me!!! you want a picture of my squid with a background? No problems... here they are with a dinner plate backgroud - ENJOY!!! :biggrin2:

post-10545-038236700 1327835896_thumb.jpg

See you out there!

Trung

Edited by dhype

Hey Stewy

my elephant gun = stella 8000 SWPG .. there will be no escape!! chic chic boom !! :thumbup:

"can we all have a pic of a squid with background as well instead of always in the bait tank"

Sorry how unthoughful of me!!! you want a picture of my squid with a background? No problems... here they are with a dinner plate backgroud - ENJOY!!! :biggrin2:

post-10545-038236700 1327835896_thumb.jpg

See you out there!

Trung

BAHAHA you are the man Trung, love your work.:thumbup:

Nice job Trung. Managed to pull a sambo myself out of the water that was literally boiling yesterday with fish, but dang if I couldn't get into the bonnies. Gotta get me some of those glassy SP's. Which brand are they?

And regards to the squid....yummy....arguably better tasting than any fish. Do you anchor or drift for the squid? The wind picked up big time yesterday and made drifting more like driving without the motor on. Damn that nor' ester.

Nice work Trung, i don't know how you do it! i was out sat night till sunday morning, couldn't find any surface action. no bonnies, no kings. thou i had plently live bait out. trolled for a while got one hit only.. but no hook up, got my livie back with half a face, and the hook that was in it's nose hanging out... :ranting2:

no fish plus i lost my anchor.. :1badmood: you the mang!

Nice job Trung. Managed to pull a sambo myself out of the water that was literally boiling yesterday with fish, but dang if I couldn't get into the bonnies. Gotta get me some of those glassy SP's. Which brand are they?

Ditto on the SP's, cheers mate! We struggled to hook up last weekend in the harbour using metal blades, we did eventually on a few, massive schools busting up, but theyre stomachs were empty when we pulled them in ?? Would love to have a crack with the SP's though next time and see how they go