help me experience catching a fish using a lure lol

therealscrewdriver

i've been fishing at putney every sunday for the past month and a half, and so far no success. i've started off using soft plastics (a noob who just started recently) but have switched to a crank bait after getting snagged at the bottom numerous times. i go there when it's either high tide or around 2 hours before the tide changes. standing at edge of the stone walls, i don't get bites at all. am i fishing at the wrong spot or doing something wrong? i fish with light gear.

I am not sure about the area, but from my person experience, soft plastics and hardbody fishing landbased is very hard to hook a fish. There are food source all around you. But if your in a boat it is a different story. The only fish I have been getting are pleagic fish from land based lure action. Also practice your technique and look how other people who catches fish do it.

i would like to continue using plastics. i really enjoy fishing with plastics and frankly it was a little too easy when i used live/fresh bait. i don't have a boat and plus inshore is a lot easier for me to access. i figured it wouldn't be that difficult seeing some videos of people fishing off a boat casting close to areas like under a bridge that can be done standing in an area close in proximty inshore. my technique is pretty poor, but i think i'm heading in the right direction. i think i'm just in the wrong area. i might try fishing at a spot in middle harbour this coming sunday.

i think the day when i catch my first fish using a lure would be the happiest day of my life lol.

Ive got a theory:

99% of lures work as long as theres fish around.

if theres nothing there, then your just wasting ur time.

give it 2 or 3 casts and switch lures or move spots abit. Harder to do land based i know

I've actually been using lures for less then half a year and let me tell you, it does get easier after the first one. You start to notice a pattern for your technique in your area.

I went this morning on land at sunrise and tried all different lures along the bank, I only had a couple of times where a fish would strike my hardbody but not hookup. I decided to move to the opposite side of the bank to try my luck after a couple of hours of nothing. First cast on the opposite side I caught the tiniest flathead, after that zilch. I decided to use bread after awhile and I caught lots of undersized bream.

Weird how fishing works that way, some days fish are not in to lures and other days they are.

^i think anticipating my first catch with a lure is whats drawing me to fish with them. i fear after that it wont be as exciting. but i have a good feeling about this sunday (like every other week before haha).

Try clontarf beach with softies, theres a deep drop off that runs along the beach.

hey, that looks like a pretty good area to fish! i'll have to give that place a go, thanks for the recommendation. my rod is only 6 ft though. hopefully it's long enough to cast out to the drop.