tow vehicle

PRED-ATOR

Hi guys,

Does anyone use a range rover sport TDV8 to tow?

Before purchasing a new boat (which will be 3000kg) im looking at a new tow car.

Just wondering how they tow and any problems.

Cheers

Other than the price and ratshit resale values, nothing wrong with them at all.

Tuffy

For a tow vechile I don't think you can go wrong with either a Toyota 100 Series 4.2L 6cy Turbo Diesel (151 KW@3400rpm/430NM@1400-3200rpm)

or the 200 Series v8 4.5L Twin Turbo Diesel(195kW at 3400rpm/650Nm from 1600-2600rpm), both have a 3500kg capacity.

mate they are a beautiful car to tow with and drive in general . Are you going 2nd hand or new? If 2nd hand just make sure its had the required service history, a well looked after land/range rover will serve you well. All in all a very nice car, you could go the toyotas but they dont look as classy for every day driving

There's a reason why everyone in remote Australia drive toyota's. They're the best, cheap to service compared to the European cars and have a much better resale value. Also, rangerovers and landrovers have a reputation for failing whenever they get even a whiff of water. Kind of funny considering where they come from...

Edited by abecedarian

Hi Predator,

Just a tip Make sure it has warranty then pay for the extended warranty, So far my sisters 2008 tdv8 has had to have the rear brake system replaced twice as they kept locking up when driving resulting warped discs and an expensive repair bill (under warranty). Also Both Diffs have had to be replaced under the extended warranty. The car has done 85,000ks and they have never towed or done off roading with it. Besides these issues looks good sounds great but way to expensive for what you get.

Nath

Hey guys,

thanks for all the info. I would never buy one brand new due to the massive depreciation, but its this fact that im taking advantage of. you can get a second had one for very cheap with very little km's.

I have also been looking at the F250 and land cruiser 200 series. F250 seems really good with alison transmission and engine replacement is only like 10k compared to landcruisers 22k.

But the F250 is no good for everyday driving (i work in the city). I have heard that range rovers run into alot of problems, but their torque figures and engine stats seem like a very good engine (on paper) and they do have a host of features.

I cant seem to find anywhere if the range rover has low range?

Hi. No experience with the TDV8, but we've had 5x TDV6's at work (3x2006 & 2x2009 models)...they are very comfy and awesome looking cars, however VERY expensive to service & maintain... One of them went through 2x sets of discs & pads within 70,000kms :1yikes:

The boss often uses his one to tow a 20ft glass boat to Lake Mac with no issues...

90% sure the rangev sport comes with a low range box but i have been wrong before. They have that terrain response selection that actually works suprisingly well offroad and also the speed limited descent control for steep down hill work meaning low range isnt required, but im guessing you want it for pulling boats up ramps? In which case the traction control will have you covered but yeah pretty sure they have low range. I do a fair bit of fairly difficult 4wding in a modifies hilux and have seen a couple of sports out on the easier tracks (lets face it for that type of money you dont really want to use it for bush bashing) and they go really well. The comment regarding them playing up in water applies to all modern 4wd's that rely on an ECU, iv seen 200 series toyotas lose their traction contol after water thats not too deep. If you just want the car for boat towing and every day driving comfort you are on to a winner.

Hi,

I tow my 625 Outsider full of gear and full of fuel (240L) with a 100 Landcruiser V8 (would be nearing 3000kg) with no problems, effortlessly. My brother also tows the boat with his Landrover Discovery (2008) 2.7L diesel and it's does the same job as the cruiser - hard to say which car is doing it easier. I think the more recent Range Sports has the upgraded 3.0L diesel motor which has heaps of pull but the land cruiser is bullet proof and cheaper to maintain.

Cheers,,

Rabs.

Hey guys,

thanks for all the info. I would never buy one brand new due to the massive depreciation, but its this fact that im taking advantage of. you can get a second had one for very cheap with very little km's.

They are cheap second hand as basically once out of warranty they are too expensive to repair, I think you would be a lot better off in the long run buying a Toyota or Nissan etc, better value for money and hold real their value.

Lol so true ,plus repair costs as everyone has eluded to.

I have a rodeo which tows like there is nothing on the back :)

What model do you have?

Earlier on I had a 94 model 2.6lt petrol and even though I never towed with it I used to dump 1 tonne of soil etc from the landscape yard in the back and I'd hardly know it's there (until I went to stop). They were good models for smaller towing.

More recently I had a 2004 the RA 3.5lt petrol which I thought would tow like a beast but was a slug and I think the fuel tank must have had a hole in it.

I got rid of that and upgraded to a diesel hilux and the towing and fuel consuption are chalk and cheese with the rodeo. However for general driving the rodeo handled and braked better.

I'd go for something bigger though if I was towing the 3000kg mark.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone had a look at the Great Wall X240 Diesel or v200 Dual Cab Diesel ? We're still looking for something above the 1600kg towing cap which wont break the bank, and also these are only a 2ltr Diesel, they are listed with 1700kg brake and 2000kg brake towing....

Am going to be doing a lot of google searches, but thought there may be more knowledge in here about their towing abilities.

Neighbour has the 4x4 great wall it's about 2 years old

It has rust comming out between the cab and tray and the transfer box seized te first time he used 4x4

He tows a one tonne loaded bike trailer and sits on 100 ok but big hills you have to drop gears early and keep the revs up

I have a ht-50 dual can 4x4 auto and went away with him towing my camper trailer about 1500kg loaded and comming up mooney mooney I passed him like he was standing still

Our insurance company at work will not cover them for rep use due to the poor cash ratings

As a comparison I was offered 22k trade in on a new bt-50

Mine is two years old and has 120,000 km

anyone had a look at the Great Wall X240 Diesel or v200 Dual Cab Diesel ? We're still looking for something above the 1600kg towing cap which wont break the bank, and also these are only a 2ltr Diesel, they are listed with 1700kg brake and 2000kg brake towing....

Am going to be doing a lot of google searches, but thought there may be more knowledge in here about their towing abilities.

Cheap shit rubbish! you get what you pay for, they are under powered poorly built bits of rubbish.my old work now sells them, they are trouble.