Sydney Blue marlin Sunday 19th

wacko

Hi everyone,

What a surprise to finally get some nice conditions after all the weather we've had!

Bill and myself took advantage of this and headed out in search of Mr.Beakie :)

The plan of attack was straight out of the harbour and head for the horizon in Bill's boat........mind you it's a 4.75mtrs aluminium Centre console with a 70hp outboard! Hardly a marlin battelwagon game boat!

But....armed with good safety gear, plenty of water and PLENTY of spare fuel and oil, we were confident to roam out-wide and bask in the glorious conditions. ( you could have waterskied to New Zealand!)

We pulled lures to the 12 mile and headed north/east out and beyond the shelf to 295mtrs.....there we found some really good current breaks and good temperature readings....

No sooner than I said 'looks real good for a marlin bite'......the shotgun lure cracked off and we had an angry blue 'wind-shield wiping' at the back of the boat. It then took off at warp speed.......headed deep... and Bill got ready for a good fight....

Fish was boatside in around 40mins......beautifully released, with video taken......Bill was a happy boy! :)

We did'nt even reset the lures for another 30mins after the fish swam off......we turned the motor off and just drifted the currents.......enjoying such a nice day.....and recounting the capture....:)

For those interested:

Fish was hooked on a 9inch Pakula sprocket (old version with soft head)...run at shotgun position (blues love shotgun run lures!)

On Shimano Talica 20 overhead reel loaded with 50lb Iron braid.....FG knotted to 30ft of 150lb Jinkai leader (top shot)

Bill was strapped into an AFTCO harness and 'muscled' a stubborn, deep slugging Blue marlin with this outfit...... very capable set-up.

Cheers,

Wacko.

post-13416-016681100 1329727735_thumb.jpg

post-13416-050541100 1329727761_thumb.jpeg

My back is MEGA sore still! God DAMNNN what a workout!!

Still jumping out of my skin....

So Beautiful up close and personal. I had jack hold it while I engaged what could only be described as fish groping!

It was just a surreal experience!

Thank you for the opportunity, and more so because it was out of mr quinnie :)

I cant see how it could get any better than this!!!! :biggrin2::thumbup::yahoo::biggrin2:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ