Port Hacking Sunday 26.2.12

Pongrass18ft

Hi Raiders,

Hooked the boat up for its first trip of the year and headed out to Cronulla. Headed straight to the heads to gather a few live baits which we found easily. We then headed to the in-close reefs in search of some fish for the families. We managed a couple of Morwong and a huge Sergent Baker from the live bait which went back to fight another day. We used burley to see if that would bring any fish to the trail, bringing only one large shark to the boat. We pulled anchor and tried for some flatheads on the drift but only kept getting millions of undersized fish. We then went to Plan B and headed into the Hacking to have a fish in South West Arm. We anchored up and started a burley trail and we couldn't even get a bite off a yellow tail, it was dead...I have never seen South West Arm so dead in all my life but then strangely enough cruising around in our burley stream came another shark of good size....two citings in one day so there are definately alot of sharks around Cronulla at the moment.

Left South West Arm for zero's and headed over to Yowie Bay. We put about an hour of fishing in there for more zero's in which we would have normally picked a few fish up in here. We then headed up to our last spot, North West Arm which saved the day and gave us both a nice catch to take home.

My mates bream was the catch of the day measuring 36cm taking a piece of Pilchard off the surface in which he was trying to catch Tailor with. That hungry bream came all the way from 50ft deep to the surface, how hungry he must have been :yahoo:

Was a great day out and nice to be out in the boat again.

Chris

post-13990-066652400 1330302188_thumb.jpg

Hey Chris,

Long time no see.

A pretty good effort for last weekend I reckon.

Fishing was slow for me and I was curious to see what the rest of the civilized world was catching.

It seems you put a much bigger bag of fish on the table than me.

Plenty of yummy smoked trevally and tailor fillets there.

I'm surprised you didn't get a nice flatty or kingie, or a decent jewie in the hacking at night.

Still, can't keep a good fisho down.

Tony

Well Chris,

I have been having trouble pulling out a lot of fish as well.

Fished another spot off Lilli Pilli early this morning, for 1 just over size and 1 just under reddies, on salted tailor baits, and 2 large yellowtail.

Cut up strips from a yellowtail, and they only attracted a few pickers. A fresh squid strip did not attract any bites at all as did a pilchard. Both baits on the hook for over an hour. F***ing hopeless.

Pumped some nippers for 1 flattie and 1 whiting for about 2.5 hours work.

Spoke to another fisho who landed 2 flatties to 55cm drifting the main channel for a few hours. His mates were fishing outside off Cronulla and landed little spiky flatties when he phoned them. Nothing worth keeping.

Dave.

Hey Chris, welcome to my world, now you know how much problems Ive had catching a decent flathead lately, for every 20 or so small flathead Ive been getting one or two decent size keepers, as for the reef etc its been dead, I reckon we need to go to deeper cleaner waters let me know when your ready ay.

I have been squiding at wallys recently and watching the tinnies comming out to the boat ramp at the hacking and they have been cleaning - filletting their fish which have been snapper, kingies and jews. They have been the same 3 or 4 boats all the time that produce, which to me it seems that they are locals and know how to fish the system. Getting some tips from the locals may help on those slow days.

Well done on the Catch after all the Moving Around!!!

Thats something I need to do when I am on the water cause I hate moving around but sometimes you have no choice and it seems to have paid off for you guys,

Enjoy the feed!

Regards,

Nathan

Nathan moving around is a must in all this murky water , otherwise you will go crazy waiting for a bite.

Was doing alot of moving till i found fish to hook up .

You appreciate fishfinders more when the going gets tough , worth there weight in gold.

Chris.

Just wondering what type of sharks you saw mate?? Good catch on a tough day!!

Hey dpinta, my guess would go to either whaler , bull shark ???.

Murky warm water brings more sharks in , adding to that good sized tailor schools on the surface is why we saw them i,d say.

Chris.