tasty salmon

smiff

well i finally decided to bring home a salmon(bled straightaway) after failing to locate a decent drummer.

i didn't tell the mrs what fish we were eating and thankfully she didn't ask.anyway i was nervous as hell about eating salmon so i let the mrs eat 1st while i slyly watched from a distance.i did a simple fillet with parsley,butter,salt and pepper and a few fish cakes aswell to mask an apparent horrible taste.

anyway to cut to the chase the salmon's taste and texture was fantastic and i'm not that into seafood.can't wait to have more!

hopefully the frame and head is currently tempting a nice mud crab into me trap out the back of my place

This is why it's important to try every fish you catch at least once. You'll probably find you like a lot of fish that most people label as rubbish. Most of these 'rubbish' fish are underfished so it would be more sustainable to be eating these than chasing after the more heavily sort after species such as jew, bream, flathead etc. Personally, salmon for me are perfect for fishcakes. Soft flesh and the right strength in flavour once the bloodline is removed. When cooked as a whole fillet I find I prefer other fish which have firmer flesh. Each to their own.

Salmon is an interesting bycatch if you're chasing drummer? :wacko:

I've had them a few times before and they're hit and miss, one tasted amazing but another one was very average both were well bled instantly and kept on ice, maybe cutting out the blood line could guarantee a better taste. I definitely agree with the above regarding different people have different tastes. I prefer bonito I've kingfish (sashimi style) which works well for me cause theyre a hell of alot easier to catch, cooked is a different story though.

Nothing wrong with fresh Aussie salmon, Smiff!! (Just don't tell too many people, eh?) Keep it our secret! biggrin2.gif Specially the smaller ones!

I also smoke mine too - either filleted or whole (if a smaller model.) It came up a beautie when I made it into Smoked Fish Pie last time! thumbup.gif

Cheers

Roberta

Salmon is an interesting bycatch if you're chasing drummer?

i should have explained a school of surface fish turned up while fishing for drummer so i rigged up a lure same size as the bait fish and every cast got a hit,all pacific salmon