sea turtles

danlarter

hey guys,

ive recently been spotting heaps of sea turtles ive never seen them around the cronulla area before this year. ive seen them heaps whilst camping up at point plomer but this summer ive seen them in the surf here and whilst fishing all the way up to lilli pilli baths. and one of then was an absolute monster. is this strange?

cheers

Danlarter.

Yes this is quite normal. I have seen them around Northern beaches and in Sydney harbour regularly ever since I was a kid.

....And around Bundeena and over the seagrass beds in Port hacking. I have also seen them swimming on the surface 25 miles offshore.

If you keep a good lookout ( as most good fishos do ) when out on the water you will see them quite often.

Sometimes they move into an area and stay for months or even years. They are usually green turtles but I think there may be other

species too.

andrew

Yes this is quite normal. I have seen them around Northern beaches and in Sydney harbour regularly ever since I was a kid.

....And around Bundeena and over the seagrass beds in Port hacking. I have also seen them swimming on the surface 25 miles offshore.

If you keep a good lookout ( as most good fishos do ) when out on the water you will see them quite often.

Sometimes they move into an area and stay for months or even years. They are usually green turtles but I think there may be other

species too.

andrew

ok cool thanks for the reply, have you ever had any trouble with them taking your bait? ive seen a few posts on here with people saying they have hooked them.

cheers,

Dan.

2 years ago me and a mate were fishing in lilli pilli and he actually hooked one. It was such a dead weight we thought it was a big stingray and got the shock of our lives when it came up to the surface and took a breath. It was a massive one as well. My mate backed off straight away and put no pressure on it hoping that it would get free but he couldn't shake the hook. We really wanted to help it out and get the hook out of it's mouth but it was too strong and kept diving deep so we had no choice but to cut the line an let it go. Felt pretty bad about leaving a hook in such a beautiful creature but found out later that it's the right thing to do as you cause more damage trying to get it out so luckily we only fought it for a few minutes

hooked up to one a few weeks back at Lilli Pilli. Been seeing them for a few years now, but never hooked one. A mate of mine also hooked one around Yowie Bay about 2 months back on an Soft plastic...

I wonder why it took that

Turtles have been swimming about Port Hacking for many years, from small ones to shells about a metre across the back. On a calm day, you will hear a turtle take a breath, see it's head out of the water, then it will disappear underwater for a while.

hey guys,

ive recently been spotting heaps of sea turtles ive never seen them around the cronulla area before this year. ive seen them heaps whilst camping up at point plomer but this summer ive seen them in the surf here and whilst fishing all the way up to lilli pilli baths. and one of then was an absolute monster. is this strange?

cheers

Danlarter.

Great to see turtles around.

Have seen plenty at lilli pilli also :thumbup:

Chris.