Finally caught my first Jewie!

GORRRN

Hey Guys,

New member here, so be gentle lol.

Anyway thought i would share a photo of my first Jewie!!! Been trying down at Shoalhaven River for a while now with my brother for the Jew's but we never had much luck. Anyway 2 weeks ago we got up nice and early out on the water by 5am and headed out to try and find a spot. Did our usual drift twice with only my livie getting chomped in half. So we moved up to another spot where the sprat where going crazy so the livies went out and within a couple of minutes the line started screaming out (bait runner) let it go for a sec then picked up the rod and cranked the handle. Got a big pull and then it went loose, waited a couple of seconds and bang the rod bent over. As soon as mine was hooked my brother grabbed his rod to get the line out of the water, 1 crank on the reel and his went screaming off as well (he has caught 2 Jewies off the beach before) but we had a double hook up :) Was pretty hectic but I got mine to the boat and netted it (awesome fight was absolutely stoked). Turned out the buggers had done some zig zagging and got the lines wrapped, anyway we stayed as calm as we could i cut my line and my brother was able to land his as well.

Mine went about 68cm and my brothers went 75cm. Not the biggest out there, but i was pretty dam pleased about that for my first Jewie.

Not the best or most exciting write up so hopefully that will improve as we get a few more fish.

post-22493-042741400 1330571096_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys yeah we definately wont be forgetting those fish.

Edit: We where talking to my parents neighbour (he rocked up shorly after we caught ours and pulled in 2 both at 65cm's) apparently the week before a local pulled in a 47kg jewie. No idea how true that is but if it is thats absolutely insane.

Edited by renegade40d

Thanks guys, all the comments are much appreciated.

And just a :thumbup: to everyone as i feel very welcome, awesome atmosphere and every seems friendly and helpful.

Way to many forums (not just fishing) that are the opposite.

It certainly seemed to be in good condition, and put up an awesome fight, even though i had a decent sized bait runner and a 6foot boat rod it pulled hard and stipped line (decent drag set to). Not really sure how they are meant be in terms of the meat, but my brothers was a bigger fish only by 7cm and was definately a bit thicker, although we noticed it had quite a bit more fat where as mine had very little. Not really sure what that indicates, so if anyone knows

And yes i have definately caught the jewie bug, not sure if thats a good thing though, been checking the weather all week to see if we can get out there this weekend lol.

Edited by renegade40d

I bet the person who wrote "Once bitten twice shy" never really caught a jewie, eh ?

I remember my first jewie.

I think they invented the wheel that same year.

It seems so long ago.

I was so happy I yelled out loud - under the captain cooks bridge...

I think it stopped the traffic above me.....

Maybe even caused some structural cracking in the pylons.....

They should change the toyota slogan for us fishos....

"Oh what a feeling...first jewie".

Well done and go and get another one....

Welcome to the site.

Tony

Hey Guys,

New member here, so be gentle lol.

Anyway thought i would share a photo of my first Jewie!!! Been trying down at Shoalhaven River for a while now with my brother for the Jew's but we never had much luck. Anyway 2 weeks ago we got up nice and early out on the water by 5am and headed out to try and find a spot. Did our usual drift twice with only my livie getting chomped in half. So we moved up to another spot where the sprat where going crazy so the livies went out and within a couple of minutes the line started screaming out (bait runner) let it go for a sec then picked up the rod and cranked the handle. Got a big pull and then it went loose, waited a couple of seconds and bang the rod bent over. As soon as mine was hooked my brother grabbed his rod to get the line out of the water, 1 crank on the reel and his went screaming off as well (he has caught 2 Jewies off the beach before) but we had a double hook up :) Was pretty hectic but I got mine to the boat and netted it (awesome fight was absolutely stoked). Turned out the buggers had done some zig zagging and got the lines wrapped, anyway we stayed as calm as we could i cut my line and my brother was able to land his as well.

Mine went about 68cm and my brothers went 75cm. Not the biggest out there, but i was pretty dam pleased about that for my first Jewie.

Not the best or most exciting write up so hopefully that will improve as we get a few more fish.

Nice going on your first jew mate, the first is always hardest to get, but soon you will get more and more if you keep at it. you gotta learn the place a bit............now that you got one you know your on the right track. keeping records i believe is a must, fish down there next year around the same date you will be rewarded again.

was there at xmas, no jews but got my pb plastic flatty. there was a mammoth of a jew caught in the river about a month ago , went close to 50kg. the bloke is from culburra. they been around the usual spots ive heard lately so keep at it. dont be afraid to run different baits at the same time on different setups either to what you caught these two on. one rod the same as what you caught it on and a second rod with an alternate bait. get your bro to do the same.

anyway congrats mate, your hard work will pay off

mick

Edited by mii11x

Dont worry been itching to get out there again, just hope the weather is kind this weekend (doubtful).

Now i just need to learn how to catch some squid (been failing miserably so far) so we can try some fresh squid as bait as well.

• 3 weeks later...