Weekend Away

CarlRak

All of Friday the rusty swivel that lives next to my monitor tormented me. It sat there curled up teasing me.

“Come on Carl, get out of here, you’re not doing anything productive anyway”. I nodded, mumbled something back to it and ignored the giggles of the bloke that sits next to me. I couldn’t look at the clock again, I’d reviewed my footy tips, I’d run out of fresh Raider content to browse. I sent an email to my boss and did the 4pm dash.

Up the F3, rain coming down, washing the week away.

I thought I wanted to go fishing, my friends told me I really wanted to be drinking. Tired of thinking I went along with drinking.

Saturday lunchtime came, the rain was still coming down but I was back to thinking. Reluctantly I went fishing.

I geared up for the rain, I’m sure I looked like a d*ck but I caught a Bream, on a little HB lure, my first. I should’ve been more excited. Actually I think I was until I returned to the non-fishers (foodies). They asked what I caught, I explained, they couldn’t understand the significance. Small victories friends, small victories.

post-18853-081539900 1330997725_thumb.jpg

Sunday morning Chief Foodie Dave rouses me “Brother, let’s go catch something to eat”. He was serious. He had the look of a hunter in his eye. Maybe he was just hungry.

10 minutes later we’re at the spot, I’m giving basic soft-plastic retrieve lessons. Chief Foodie looks enthused.

5 minutes after the 10 minutes Chief Foodie has put the rod down, stripped to his boxers, exposed his hirsute frame, lit a cigarette, opened a litre bottle of cider and made himself horizontal on a sun-soaked piece of sandstone. It was 10am. I had seen this sight before. The parents of the children playing in the adjacent rock-pools hadn’t. I giggled. The parents looked concerned. I kept flicking.

Every time I caught a fish The Chief Foodie propped himself up on an elbow, took a slow drag on his cigarette, licked his lips, locked his eyes on the fish and muttered “can I eat that”, most times I nodded. He’d reply with a simple “sweet".

post-18853-004898300 1330997796_thumb.jpg

We made it back to the kitchen. The Chief Foodie had got a pair of pants back on. He got to work on some sauce reduction while I did the filleting. Then a while later he strolled onto the back deck with scotch in one hand and a plate in the other.

post-18853-021346100 1330997845_thumb.jpg

Went down a treat. The whole crowd was impressed.

Carl

Terrific read bro!

Just what I needed after night shift. :074:

Glad I wasn't just entertaining myself. Thanks.

HaHaHa, great read mate, nice feed of flatties you got there, looks like Ettalong to me, pulled many a flattie out of that channel

Good onya buddy... :thumbup:

Ray! Bream from Ettalong and flatties from Putty beach. Wanted to buzz you but I was in no condition to do any walking.

Nice catches. That made an excellent read at the office lunch time :) I can't wait for the weekend!

Likewise :biggrin2:

Congrats on the catch. Sounds like a great weekend.

Any chance of The Cheif Foodie doing a cameo and putting his tasty looking recipe onto The Kitchen thread?

Hrgh

Just requested it. Hopefully get a reply soon.