Dead fish everywhere at cronulla beach

kassin01

Hey everyone ,went fishing yesterday to Wanda beach ..saw something weird ..a lot of dead fish on the sand !!!! I counted more then 300 of em ..even when started fishing all dead fish floating on the surface ... They was bream, snapper ,flatheads ,leather jackets .even small gummy charks,cat fish ,and a lot more ..does any one know how us that happens ?

Anyway the water was very dirty over there and fishing is just waste of time .

Hi

I have seen this a few times before but must admit never 300 fish.

As i do quite a bit of surf fishing, i have seen this on the beach.

What I have seen also before is a large amount of dead birds washed up at a beach.

Mother nature is strange

Hey mate it was most probley the run off from a big property with chemicals on the grass.. golf coures are sometimes to blame when we have heavy rain. All that run off flowing into the ocean, I would hate to think what is in the water at the moment! You should have taken a photo of the fish and said you had a great day out fishing..haha! Cheers

Hey everyone ,went fishing yesterday to Wanda beach ..saw something weird ..a lot of dead fish on the sand !!!! I counted more then 300 of em ..even when started fishing all dead fish floating on the surface ... They was bream, snapper ,flatheads ,leather jackets .even small gummy charks,cat fish ,and a lot more ..does any one know how us that happens ?

Anyway the water was very dirty over there and fishing is just waste of time .

Definately a sight fisherman hate seeing :wacko: Has anyone seen this along there fishing spots????

Chris.

Hi Guys,

After all that rain a "fish kill" is very probable. It can be a naturally occurring event, and does not need to have any human influence to occur. But chemicals used on the land like pesticides, herbicides and high nitrate based fertilisers take all the oxygen out of the water, and are definitely man made problems

It seems more likely than a trawler's by catch, as they are all estuary species, and there are not much of that in the Sydney harbours these days (to my knowledge).

Having said that, we all see reports of commercial guys dragging a fly screen through the water all over the world. It can be a wonder that anything survives those unsavoury types in our waters.

I've mentioned this before in a couple of posts, but a couple of years ago we crossed behind a trawler leaving Bate Bay and headind south around dawn. In his wake was a trail of dead fish - mainly small whiting, flathead, and bream. It was one of the saddest sights I'd ever seen off Cronulla. I've since been told by locals that they've seen pros working throughout the night in Bate Bay, especially around Wanda and Greenhills.

My money is on trawler bycatch.

what i saw Friday morning was one big trawler working just as you come out of port hacking its years since ive being out there but memory serving me correct their is a reef as you come out they were working that area for a reason all the fish were coming straight out to the cleaner water but was very dirt close in about 11 i think may be earlier i saw them throwing fish after fish back in the water 100% it was the trawlers but not one but two one appeared later on it threw a large amount of fish as well with all the fresh water they were just waiting in ambush to all the fish coming out of the system its a shame you see this thing but what can you do i wanted to take a photo but to busy with work .

Firstly with the colour of the water and the amount of run off, the water is de-oxygenated. Fish Die no oxygen. Secondly the trawler that was in Bate Bay is not a trawler, they were also there sat morning. The vessel if im right is red in colour and is called Kaybeeana it is a longliner and they were there to catch bait, they do not trawl. They are legally allowed to do so. Was talking to the skipper back at the wharf late sat arvo.

If you do see a trawler working the area simply take down the name of the boat and Ring Fisheries. Ocean trawlers are not allowed to work within 3nm of the coast. Unless you personally see them doing this and have the PROOF to state your case then it is heresay.

Edited by finin

-Far North Coast

209 illegal crab traps seized

-Coffs Harbour

Fisher fined for using net in habitat protection zone

-West Haven

Three fined for using excess crab traps

-Myall Lake

Fisher fine for using illegal net

-Wallis Lake

Commercial fishers fined using illegal nets

-Towra point

Three fined for offences in the aquatic reserve

-Gerringong

Two caught with 52 abalone prosecution pending

-Sydney

Two fined for trying to sell prohibited sized fish through sydney fish markets

-Windang

Several fined for catching undersize fish

-Southcoast

Man caught with 161 shucked abalone. Prosecution pending.

This is out of the Sunday Telegraph not to mention the trawlers back at port hacking the other day Wednesday i think it was yes i do have a photo

Hi

I have seen this a few times before but must admit never 300 fish.

As i do quite a bit of surf fishing, i have seen this on the beach.

What I have seen also before is a large amount of dead birds washed up at a beach.

Mother nature is strange

The dead birds are most likely mutton birds. Their annual migration from Australia north to Alaska then back via Japan sees many of them pretty much exhausted as they run down the coast to their breeding grounds. Couple that with a bit of nasty weather and you have lots of dead birds washed up on the beaches.

KB

3 long liners boats have been working Bate bay for the past 8 or more weeks and legally annihilated the entire slimie and yakka population by nets rowed out from the mother ships.

Why this is allowed beats me.

kaybeanna and the other longliners have always baited at cronulla as well as a dozen or so other designated bait grounds in the metro area.They are legally allowed to do so.Trawlers have to operate outside the three mile limit,so doubtful if they were there.Another boat around at the moment is the diana,an autoliner with an automatic baiting system.I am unsure what these guys use for bait other than yellowtail or slimies.I dont see a problem with baiting as there are always heaps of fish to go around in that respect,despite numbers being lower due to the big freshwater input these last few months.The nets used by the longliners are only 2 metres deep max,so they cant get that many other fish in.most of the species mentioned are bottom feeders so i'd guess it was more than likely a runoff problem or chemical spill of some kind.Also ,the scraps and frames from the tuna caught by longliners is used to produce the fish oil so many of us have used over the years,as well as fishmeal for the farmed sea fish,so it all filters back to whether we want to eat fish or not,and whether we are prepared to catch our own or buy fish at market.These guys would not be fishing if they had no demand for their product.I also like to think that at least the longliners have the decency to bait a hook and toss that into the ocean rather than drag a great big bag through the water as the trawlers do,destroying the sea bottom as they go.And yet the trawlers still cant figure out why there are so many leatherjackets out there.dumbasses.

I saw a dead MASSIVE fish, approx. 1m, near the rock wall along Brighton beach (I think it was a jewfish, not sure). I was in awe of the size and sad that it is no longer alive for me to "potentially" catch. :wife: