My first Kings

dacosta74

I've be trying to catch a kingie for about 18 months now. I've spent way to much on tackle and boat hire, don't tell the Mrs.

As it was my birthday I decided to bite the bullet and invest in going with someone who actually knows what they're doing. I went out on Monday for the day on a charter.

BLOWN AWAY!!

We picked up live yakkas from Rose Bay wharf first. Then headed to the markers just before dawn throwing poppers around. Nothing happened at any of the markers. Tried for some squid a bit further out but it was tough with the mucky water.

Then headed to North Head. Got Matt to show me how to downrig, need to buy a downrigger now! We were doing passes along the cliff face of North Head when we picked up two 80cm kingies. Couldn't believe how much they pull, awesome fight, such a great experience and highly addictive! Both were caught on the downrigger with live yakkas.

Photo attached, I'm half smiling, half straining at the weight of holding them up!

After that it went a bit quiet. We headed to a spot off South Head where Matt found a big school of bait and kings. We then did some jigging, which was something I hadn't done. That certainly gives you a work out!...

Must have picked up 15 60cm kings, all went back to fight another day of course, but unbelievable sport.

We finished up doing a few passes at a spot off of Quarrantine where I finished possibly my best fishing trip ever with another 60cm, great fight, and of course he went back in the drink to grow for next year.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to do it when I go out on my own now!!

Can't wait to give it another go.

Cheers

post-16053-073289200 1331983000_thumb.jpg

Would you be able to provide me with details on the charter via post or PM? I am interested to go on one, especially after reading your post!

And if you don't mind passing the details and price as well? Looked like he had a blast!!!

Would you be able to provide me with details on the charter via post or PM? I am interested to go on one, especially after reading your post!

Please do not ask to have Charter details "posted" as they may not be site sponsors and would be in breach of site rules - if necessary this info by PM only.

Blood Knot

Happy day's!

I can't wait for my first King. I need to get a downrigger as well.

I've noticed that most raiders are using and catching the kings on them.

Together with a sounder to mark the depth you can't go wrong.

J.H

P.S :1happybday:

Edited by J Hooked

Awesome report mate. Would you mind also messaging me the details of the charter? I hooked up a couple on the weekend but was only using real light gear so after a few good runs they busted the line. :ranting2:

This has only made my hunger for a kingy even stronger.

Nice report and good catch :thumbup:

You can never spend to much lol, Im lucky in the fact that my mrs doesn't mind me spending money on the fishing stuff, in fact she wants to come out fishing with us when her back injury is sorted.

My brother caught a kingy in the shoalhaven river about 18 months back, measuring about 30 - 35 cm. Put a soft plastic next to one of the red buoys and bang kingy on.... ripper of fight from that little tacker so 80cm would be awesome.