FISHRAIDERS. THE JEWIE HAS LANDED!

J Hooked

After so many frustrating nights and after so many runs but no hook ups, I finally landed the one that didn’t get away!

I took my son out for the change of tide at about 1030pm. I checked the synoptic chart and thought the wind shouldn’t arrive until early morning. Yeah right, the wind came in a hurry!

Anyway, anchored under Capt. Cooks, weather calm at this stage, and thought, :064: lets cast out a couple of small rods until we set up the larger ones for the jewie. What a laugh. As I was showing my son how to rig up a squid on a two hook rig the ratchet screamed on my small Abu 6000 overhead. My son said, “Dad your rod!” I thought nah it can’t be. I just chucked it in. Then reality sunk in. Line was peeling off the barrel like there was no tomorrow. I grabbed the rod and tightened the drag. The rod bent over. I’ve never seen this rod bend so much. “It could be a ray?” I said. Damn Ray’s!!! But wait, I felt a headshake, and another, and another. You beauty! Yes! The rays aren’t going to get me this time! :nono: We fought, it ran and ran. I set this rod up for bream and flathead. A 2/0 hook on 14lb fluro carbon leader! I can’t have another bust off. I was kidding myself right? The last bust off was on a 40lb line. This was a 14lb line with a 2/0 hook. Ahhh! I’m in trouble. :1gathering: The fish ran again. It hadn’t come up to the surface yet. The drag wasn’t strong enough; I had to use my finger to slow it down. My son got the net at the ready. The beast slowly came to the surface and revealed a silver shine in the water. Yes, a jewie. My son yelled, “That’s massive!” He went in for the scoop but the beast wasn’t ready yet. It let out another run that pealed off a lot of line. I loosened the drag off a bit just in case. It came to the surface again and I led it into the net.

You beauty! Landed one 89cm jewie! We gave high fives all round. :1clap: I couldn’t believe it. 3 hours before the tide change, on a 14lb fluro carbon leader. But what got me was it took a 5week old dry salted pilchard that was going to be used as berley. :wacko: Go figure. That’s fishing I suppose. :lol:

The wind picked up and tossed us around like a rag doll in a washing machine. You could surf on the waves they were that big. We stayed a bit longer then pulled anchor and sat under Tom Uglies for nothing.

Top night. To bad the wind set in, but there is always next time.

J H

P.S. Thank you to the guy that helped me at Oatley boat ramp. That wind made it hard to dock the boat. Cheers mate! :icon_peace:

post-15631-078444700 1333992480_thumb.jpg

After so many frustrating nights and after so many runs but no hook ups, I finally landed the one that didn’t get away!

I took my son out for the change of tide at about 1030pm. I checked the synoptic chart and thought the wind shouldn’t arrive until early morning. Yeah right, the wind came in a hurry!

Anyway, anchored under Capt. Cooks, weather calm at this stage, and thought, :064: lets cast out a couple of small rods until we set up the larger ones for the jewie. What a laugh. As I was showing my son how to rig up a squid on a two hook rig the ratchet screamed on my small Abu 6000 overhead. My son said, “Dad your rod!” I thought nah it can’t be. I just chucked it in. Then reality sunk in. Line was peeling off the barrel like there was no tomorrow. I grabbed the rod and tightened the drag. The rod bent over. I’ve never seen this rod bend so much. “It could be a ray?” I said. Damn Ray’s!!! But wait, I felt a headshake, and another, and another. You beauty! Yes! The rays aren’t going to get me this time! :nono: We fought, it ran and ran. I set this rod up for bream and flathead. A 2/0 hook on 14lb fluro carbon leader! I can’t have another bust off. I was kidding myself right? The last bust off was on a 40lb line. This was a 14lb line with a 2/0 hook. Ahhh! I’m in trouble. :1gathering: The fish ran again. It hadn’t come up to the surface yet. The drag wasn’t strong enough; I had to use my finger to slow it down. My son got the net at the ready. The beast slowly came to the surface and revealed a silver shine in the water. Yes, a jewie. My son yelled, “That’s massive!” He went in for the scoop but the beast wasn’t ready yet. It let out another run that pealed off a lot of line. I loosened the drag off a bit just in case. It came to the surface again and I led it into the net.

You beauty! Landed one 89cm jewie! We gave high fives all round. :1clap: I couldn’t believe it. 3 hours before the tide change, on a 14lb fluro carbon leader. But what got me was it took a 5week old dry salted pilchard that was going to be used as berley. :wacko: Go figure. That’s fishing I suppose. :lol:

The wind picked up and tossed us around like a rag doll in a washing machine. You could surf on the waves they were that big. We stayed a bit longer then pulled anchor and sat under Tom Uglies for nothing.

Top night. To bad the wind set in, but there is always next time.

J H

P.S. Thank you to the guy that helped me at Oatley boat ramp. That wind made it hard to dock the boat. Cheers mate! :icon_peace:

I remember reading your status update "tonight is the night i get a jew" or something like that. Actually had some sort of flash forward that you would actually get it! Great Fish! Shall i dare say it, this afternoon is the time i get a jew! :yahoo:

I remember reading your status update "tonight is the night i get a jew" or something like that. Actually had some sort of flash forward that you would actually get it! Great Fish! Shall i dare say it, this afternoon is the time i get a jew! :yahoo:

Too right mate. I'll be saying that everytime before I go out. :biggrin2:

bloody ripper mate!

congrats on 89cm of jewie goodness!

would have been an epic battle on such light gear!

It was a struggle, the drag wasn't up to the fight but I took my time. She swallowed the hook right down so I was lucky the leader didn't break.

Very cool that the jewy was predicted in your status :biggrin2:

Great report, top fish ... bloody well done :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

I think I'll change my profession and predict the future. :mfr_lol: What a coincidence, positive thinking payed off. :biggrin2: Lets hope next time it dosn't take that long to land another.

Well done on the jewie!! Great report :thumbup:

I went down that way on Sunday night, but my hopes of catching a fish were gone with the (strong)wind.

The wind was quite violent and not to mention cold. I had a hell of a time trying to get the anchor up. Got to invest in an electric anchor winch.

Top efforts guys,don,t think salted pillies will be over looked in the future :biggrin2:

Enjoy the feed

Chris.

I can't believe it. It was dry and old. After gutting the fish I found two small white baits and a prawn. The fish was starving, that's probably why it took the old bait.

great fish mate and congratulations. I noticed in your post that you mentioned you have had several runs and no hook ups - I dont want to sound like a know it all, and we all have different ideas but I have caught lots of jew over the years and if you set the drag at the tension you want to fight the fish at, and strike hard as soon as it takes the bait you will miss very few fish! another thing worth noting is that you will get more fish on lighter lines than heavier lines! I use 20lb mono(unless I am around structure) and find that will stop most fish if you are patient and dont rush them to the boat. I got a 25lb jew on 8lb line at wisemans ferry a few years ago - it took about 1/2 hour to land but at no stage did it look like spooling me as there was no or very little current for it to run with at the time, if they go with the current just put the rod in the rod holder and pull the anchor, start the motor and idle towards it while you wind line back on the reel, it is amazing how a jew will stop dead in its tracks when you stop putting pressure on it!

hope this helps with your future quests!

once again congratulations on a top fish.

pete.

great fish mate and congratulations. I noticed in your post that you mentioned you have had several runs and no hook ups - I dont want to sound like a know it all, and we all have different ideas but I have caught lots of jew over the years and if you set the drag at the tension you want to fight the fish at, and strike hard as soon as it takes the bait you will miss very few fish! another thing worth noting is that you will get more fish on lighter lines than heavier lines! I use 20lb mono(unless I am around structure) and find that will stop most fish if you are patient and dont rush them to the boat. I got a 25lb jew on 8lb line at wisemans ferry a few years ago - it took about 1/2 hour to land but at no stage did it look like spooling me as there was no or very little current for it to run with at the time, if they go with the current just put the rod in the rod holder and pull the anchor, start the motor and idle towards it while you wind line back on the reel, it is amazing how a jew will stop dead in its tracks when you stop putting pressure on it!

hope this helps with your future quests!

once again congratulations on a top fish.

pete.

Thanks Pete

I was told to leave the drag loose and wait 10 sec or so, but I think the loose drag was making me loose the fish. will be changing my tatics for next time.

It's always great to hear how other people catch there fish. If you learn just one thing then the info is worth it

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Pete

I was told to leave the drag loose and wait 10 sec or so, but I think the loose drag was making me loose the fish. will be changing my tatics for next time.

It's always great to hear how other people catch there fish. If you learn just one thing then the info is worth it

Cheers

Jim

Don't worry about the loose drag, let the fish hit a brick wall and theres a few jews around at the moment, got a mate that gets quit a few if you are willing to put up with the cold.

Can you believe it the one night I don’t go out with youand land this beauty.....great report and great fish....good to see Jnr was outthere with you and off the Playstation.

Looking forward to next time.

Cheers

Rowan

Can you believe it the one night I don’t go out with youand land this beauty.....great report and great fish....good to see Jnr was outthere with you and off the Playstation.

Looking forward to next time.

Cheers

Rowan

Hey Row

I'm still buzzing from that moment. :yahoo: See you when you get back. We will have to organise a trip out. :biggrin2::1fishing1:

Don't worry about the loose drag, let the fish hit a brick wall and theres a few jews around at the moment, got a mate that gets quit a few if you are willing to put up with the cold.

The cold isn't a worry. :frozen: Can't wait for the next trip out.