Contaminating line/bait

Swaz

I see on most YouTube clips and descriptions that people just spray their whole reel with Innox or the like, braid included!

I was always careful not to touch bait/lures with hands that have suncream etc all over them.

What's your take on this? My current routine is to remove the spool and spray the reel and spray a little into the drag washers and avoid coating my line with lube!

Do you think it affects catching fish?

The only areas I spray on my reel are the bail arm pivot and guide bearing, the handles anti reverse lever etc and I only ever use Inox, I always have a small smear of inox food grade grease around the base of the drag knob which should prevent any water getting near the drag washers.

From the Inox website...

The only lubricant in the world with the special MX3 Anti-Corrosion, Anti-Moisture formula for the twenty first century (food grade approved). It displaces, penetrates, lubricates and protects. INOX contains no silicon, acid, kerosene or dieselene. INOX will not harm metal points or surfaces, plastics, paints, enamels, fibreglass, formica or neoprene seals. INOX doesn't dry out, gum up, become gooey or sticky or wash off with water! INOX is non- conductive, non-static, non-toxic, non-corrosive and non-staining.

Most other moisture displacers/lubricants are petroleum or solvent based.

I have heard of people who swear by some of these products as an attractant to fish, but I dont believe it personally, does it make a difference to catch rates? again I dont think so, having said that you have no reason to spray the spool anyway, some warm water in a hand sprayer and a wipeover with a clean cloth should be adequate.

GT

i have heard stories of some people soaking their baits in WD-40...... not to sure how that would go, or what it does to the waterways..... but i have heard people doing it....

Don't try that stupid trick!

Even smokers leave some nicotine on the baits, was told that is no good either.

i have heard stories of some people soaking their baits in WD-40...... not to sure how that would go, or what it does to the waterways..... but i have heard people doing it....

That is just crazy!

I see on most YouTube clips and descriptions that people just spray their whole reel with Innox or the like, braid included!

I was always careful not to touch bait/lures with hands that have suncream etc all over them.

What's your take on this? My current routine is to remove the spool and spray the reel and spray a little into the drag washers and avoid coating my line with lube!

Do you think it affects catching fish?

I avoid any type of chemicals, oils etc from my line, lures and bait, unless its an attractant.

I dont see any need to spray the outside of the reel at all. The spray can penetrate inside and wash out all the good grease lube. The drag washers should have grease inside so you shouldnt spray there either.

Just rinse reels down with fresh water and give them a wipe and thats it. :thumbup:

I spray all my reels ( line included) with inox after a rinse in water , never had any issues. Always use fresh leader though.

I am a believer in the sun cream thing, I brought some aniseed soap that's supposed to help. But the guy in the shop would say that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remove your spool and give it a wash on its own while down any water inside the reel and that's all every year do a service on it and you will be right trust me always work for me and never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The best stuff to use is Ballistol . Its recommended to me by the service team guys at shimano. So far I have had no issues and all my reels are like brand new. Really good gear.