First Drummer

joel.pringle

Having only taken up fishing six months ago, I'm finally getting to the stage where I can expect to bring something home for the pot most times I go out.

Headed out to Bare Island, off La Parouse, today, half-way through the run-out tide I think. Walking over the bridge I got worried, the water was brown and there was a lot of refuse floating around from the rains during the week.

The water on the east side of the island was clean, and I headed over there. It was a bit crowded, and not much action going on. I got bored with the occasional nibbles but no takers after about an hour, and headed across to the west side for some squiding. Caught lots of weed, and eventually a snag caught my $20 jig. I still haven't had any luck with squid, and have more luck feeding the snags than myself. A bit disheartened but I'll soldier on.

After this I was ready to head home empty handed, but the spot around the corner furthest to the west of the island was calling me...

So I headed around to throw my last few baits in, and I'm glad I did. Throwing half a peeled prawn on a size 1 circle hook, I normally add a pea size split shot but made it two because the spot was washy. Second cast, Rock Cod. Back he goes. Next cast, something takes, pulls harder than I'm used to. Up he comes, a 32cm Drummer. My first, and I suspect I'll be back for more. But today, a couple more casts and I was out of bait.

The guy fishing next to me was tops, he had six in the bucket already and pulled in another, so offered it to me. Much appreciated, easier to cook for two if you have two fish. I'll put my Drummer spice marinade in the 'kitchen' forum.

post-21250-087091700 1335099232_thumb.jpg

Hrgh

Edited by hrgh

Well done on the drummer. I don't fish there but go there for my lunch break every now and then. There are a couple of resident fishos fishing there for blackies on the east side of the island. Impessively they catch a lot of good sized fish every time I saw them. I wish I could master the skills as they did.

Well done on the drummer. I don't fish there but go there for my lunch break every now and then. There are a couple of resident fishos fishing there for blackies on the east side of the island. Impessively they catch a lot of good sized fish every time I saw them. I wish I could master the skills as they did.

Hey ABC,

Bare Island is my old stomping ground.

The regulars there are very likely my old mates whom I no longer see.

They do get a lot of fish there but the divers made life hell for us years ago.

Arguments and fights erupted every weekend so I bought a boat and never looked back.

There are some big drummers on the southernmost point but the spot is VERY dangerous as you have to go down to water level.

Waves wash overthe area from ankle height to chest height, depending on conditions...

Autumn is a good time, especially when the westerly begins to flatten the inshore sea.

Burley up the area with heaps of bread and hang on !

Tony

Hey ABC,

Bare Island is my old stomping ground.

The regulars there are very likely my old mates whom I no longer see.

They do get a lot of fish there but the divers made life hell for us years ago.

Arguments and fights erupted every weekend so I bought a boat and never looked back.

There are some big drummers on the southernmost point but the spot is VERY dangerous as you have to go down to water level.

Waves wash overthe area from ankle height to chest height, depending on conditions...

Autumn is a good time, especially when the westerly begins to flatten the inshore sea.

Burley up the area with heaps of bread and hang on !

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yah, the divers are still there but seemed getting along ok with the fishing folks. The spot is still popular with all sort of fishing but I think the the guys targeting blackie had more successes.

I also noticed when the sea is big the east side is pretty rough. I saw a guy got washed in at the northern start of the ledge. he is obviouly not familar with the area and was in rubber sandles... poorly equiped for any rocks. The regulars though are failrly confident and all equiped well for the rock hopping.

Charles