Hairtail

love2catchem

I caught my first one at coal and candle creek last season.

it measured 1.2m long! I haven't tried this year yet.

I have heard that a few people have caught hair tail in the harbour. Also my brother in-laws cousin took one in Botany Bay! If I didn't see that one I wouldn’t have believed it.

I caught my first one at coal and candle creek last season.

it measured 1.2m long! I haven't tried this year yet.

I have heard that a few people have caught hair tail in the harbour. Also my brother in-laws cousin took one in Botany Bay! If I didn't see that one I wouldn’t have believed it.

We nailed a heap last year starting around mid May.

Got them all at WB in the Hawkesbury.

Heaps of boats out getting them too.

It was lit up like day.

I counted around 30 boats!!! :1yikes:

You would probably have a better chance in the Hawkesbury at this time of year.

I have caught them in front of Lion Island at Easter, last one a couple of years ago.

A guy caught one at Brewora last summer before Xmas.

We nailed a heap last year starting around mid May.

Got them all at WB in the Hawkesbury.

Heaps of boats out getting them too.

It was lit up like day.

I counted around 30 boats!!! :1yikes:

You would probably have a better chance in the Hawkesbury at this time of year.

I have caught them in front of Lion Island at Easter, last one a couple of years ago.

A guy caught one at Brewora last summer before Xmas.

We normally drive up to coal and candle. It's shoulder to shoulder fishing, :( a few tangles, :angry: lots of frustration and arguing, :pokey: and not to mention if you don't get there early enough, there's no parking! :1wallbash:

This time we will try launching the boat and spend the night. :frozen:

Gets doing a night session tomorrow night, haven't fish for Hairtail before. What bait and depth do you fish?

I've used fresh mullet fillet and pilchard on either a two hook rig or on a 3 gang rig. Both rigs were under a float with a lumo stick. I varied the depth through the night but start at about 14 feet. I also ask others that are there what depth they are at.

Hair tail have massive teeth so look out.

Edited by J Hooked

My brother hooked into a nice sized hairtail (guessing 1.2-1.4 metres up on the hawksbury 2 weeks ago, got it right to the boat and bang it bit through his 50lb leader, it took a whole yakka. fished at flint n steel also. hope this helps.

We normally drive up to coal and candle. It's shoulder to shoulder fishing, :( a few tangles, :angry: lots of frustration and arguing, :pokey: and not to mention if you don't get there early enough, there's no parking! :1wallbash:

This time we will try launching the boat and spend the night. :frozen:

Thanks to all for the feedback on this thread...

I couldnt get out last weekend.

How did you end up doing J Hooked?

Anyone else have a go for them last weekend?

Thanks to all for the feedback on this thread...

I couldnt get out last weekend.

How did you end up doing J Hooked?

Anyone else have a go for them last weekend?

Hey mate

Didn't go up last weekend. Spent Saturday arvo in the bay until 7:30pm

Managed a red rock cod, 2x undersized snapper, a small bream and trevally and a large squid. Everything went back except the squid to use as bait for next time.

May try sometime next month at Akuna bay. Got to get there early to find parking.

J.H

i was at flint and steel on saterday and was getting smashed by what we thought were hairtail , ive heard that hairtail are mainly caught during winter ?

Hi Nick

My mate and I normally target them in winter. I've only heard of them biting in the colder months.

Hey guys, love it when a plan comes together! Caught a Hairtail Sat. night up the Hawkesbury. Went 110cm's. Took a live yakka. Got my first Jew as well. was only a soapie but two new species for me!

Thanks all for the info. Much appreciated!

post-23052-051853100 1335773228_thumb.jpg

prehistoric looking creatures ehh . yeah i might try my luck at some jews and hairtail around flint and steel or juno point :)

They sure are! I know of a few Jewies caught on the weekend. Get out there!

i only started seriously fishing for kings and jews a couple of months ago so i havent landed anything :( gotta stay positive :) i will get a jew or king or something :thumbup:

Keep plugging away mate, it will come. All those zeros we get make the day that it comes even more worth while! :thumbup:

It says in today's daily telegraph that hairtail are being caught near the quarantine station (wherever that is) on yellowtail fillets for those raiders asking about hairtail

That's the first bay just inside North Head, just watch where you fish over there cause from memory there is a protected area for the ferry penguins. Been a fair few years since I fished there. Thanks for the info from the Telie.

Seem like the hairtail are all happening in the harbour for some reason..

Seem pretty odd to me. Unless the big schools havnt come into the Hawksberry yet...

Anyone seen many boats anchored in Waratah Bay or Coal and Candle of a night?

Edited by love2catchem

Hey guys, love it when a plan comes together! Caught a Hairtail Sat. night up the Hawkesbury. Went 110cm's. Took a live yakka. Got my first Jew as well. was only a soapie but two new species for me!

Thanks all for the info. Much appreciated!

thats one set of chompers on that lol