Hairtail

love2catchem

well went to landbased in akuna bay tonight. man there are heaps of people!

anyway around 9pm one 1.5m+ hail tail came out. big and fat and shinny :)

so they are around but doesn't seem to be in great numbers.

I went out about 4 weeks ago with my cousin and mate from Kincumber, it was approx 7.30 am so daylight.

We stopped just out side the river mouth, so in Pittwater to rig up our rods and while my cousin and I were getting them ready my mate who is a newby to fishing decided to have a few castes with a SP.

Anyway we were head down and the second cast he has ever thrown with a SP the bugger yells that he is on. He fights this fish for 5 mins and finally gets it to be boat. He calls for the net and we land a very nice Hairtail approx 1 m in legth.

Non of us could beleive it with the size if the teeth and we were using 20lb fluro leader as we were going after kings.

It was a great way to start the trip.

They seem to enter the harbour every ten years or so. I remember we scored a heap, for several weeks, in Middle Habour in the late 70s, from the shore, when we were kids. PS some gurus know say try heavy mono trace over wire for more hits.

Live report from warratah bay. Target fish - hairtail. Been here since 7pm... And it's really cold.

End of report. :)

Was ot WB Saturday night from 8:30pm to 2.00am.

6 boats fishing the bay.

Plenty of bait fish.

Zero Haitail.

Was ot WB Saturday night from 8:30pm to 2.00am.

6 boats fishing the bay.

Plenty of bait fish.

Zero Haitail.

Was also there Saturday night in towards the moorings close to the two boats rafted up, where were you? Bycatch only including a bonnie at 930pm. Hope you weren't one of the two blokes in the unlit tinnys. Madness being out there in the dark in 3m tinnys and no nav lights.

Was also there Saturday night in towards the moorings close to the two boats rafted up, where were you? Bycatch only including a bonnie at 930pm. Hope you weren't one of the two blokes in the unlit tinnys. Madness being out there in the dark in 3m tinnys and no nav lights.

No our boats well lit up with LEDs

We didnt fish around the other boats.

We were just up from you guys on our own.

No our boats well lit up with LEDs

We didnt fish around the other boats.

We were just up from you guys on our own.

You the guys with the heap of LEDs and asked if we'd caught anything?

You the guys with the heap of LEDs and asked if we'd caught anything?

No they came up to us first.

They were fishing at JB and got none.

They left us and then joined with you guys.

We were around 150m away down stream in line with your boat.

I managed a few last year and found that I was getting loads more hits on fc trace rather than wire, both using gang hooks. I did get bitten through a couple of times but was getting bites. The other important thing I found was that they were biting very shyly - I fished a bait runner and think that converted more bites.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a mate and i fished JB sat night from 4-10.45 and managed a couple semi hook ups on hairies and lost a cracker at the boat well over 1.5m

some blokes in a houseboat landed one that we could hear. tonnes of bait including tailor, gars and yakkas. one salmon as bycatch just on dusk. will hopefully be out again sat night this week to have another go.

Here is a sounder pic of Hairtails.

The one under the 12.8 is eating my soft plastic that I had dangling over the side.

thanks for that greg, thats pretty much what my lowrance was showing on sat night in cowan except it almost blacked out at times. the bites were few and far between though as it was hard to get past the little tailor getting about.

The one under the 12.8 is eating my soft plastic that I had dangling over the side.

I would never have thought that was a hairtail image. You learn something everyday!

What sounder are you using?

hmm might hit akuna bay again friday night. I wonder how many people will be there since it was packed on week night!

oh it was 99% koreans :) (we love hair tails).

Ps I saw some great improvements in the community (it's been like 10 years). I saw one guy talking about just leaving his rubbish as there are no bins! everyone there heard it and I saw people coming in young and old giving lectures how not to dirty the place.

They said everything I could think of and more so I couldn't throw my 2cent :) lol

Im happy to report the sportsmen ship aussies have rubbed into the korean community.

Pss also happy to report even with many lines there no tangles as they seem to communicate and learn to fish together :) it was great atmostphere thus I'm going again:) (though friday night in only land base for hairtail in sydney... seriously I will report on the line count tomorrow night!)

hi there greg

is that a pic of the lowrance hds7 structure scan.

cause i just bought a boat with that unit and im not really sure how to use it.