Barra Nationals Daly River N.T.

Ray R

:biggrin2: G'day Raiders, back from the nationals which were the hardest to fish in history.

The river and the barra were playing hard ball and only those with the local knowledge and Daly river

savvy scored all the glory.

I was one of the 25 or so competitors that did not score a fish whisch was really bad for me as I wanted

to at least get one to put some points on the board.

Anyway it wasn't to be however my team mates Hutcho and Phil got us on the points board, Phil got one and

Hutcho got 2.

The event was top class in the way it was run and although the barra were not there in numbers like last year

there was a record number of meter plus caught, 25 in all out of the 620 caught for the comp, last year saw

about 2,200 fish with 16 over the meter mark.

Anyway it was a top week and quite a few pics taken, we did get a good shot of Paul from Team Pure Fishing

with his 116cm barra, unfortunately this was caught on the pre-fish day and didn't score points for thier team,

still it was a beaut fish.

After the comp had finished and we were back in Darwin at my bro-in-laws place, we hitched up the big red poly

and went mud crabbing, hah at least we got a heap of those big buggers..

So that's it for another year, we did poorly but that's fishing and still had a great time..

Enjoy the pics.. :thumbup:

post-3371-062155200 1336117826_thumb.jpg

post-3371-078309500 1336117839_thumb.jpg

post-3371-059777800 1336117852_thumb.jpg

post-3371-097526700 1336117866_thumb.jpg

post-3371-080670200 1336117886_thumb.jpg

post-3371-061808600 1336117905_thumb.jpg

post-3371-080522700 1336117921_thumb.jpg

post-3371-021370400 1336117946_thumb.jpg

post-3371-017533800 1336117962_thumb.jpg

post-3371-078869200 1336118022_thumb.jpg

Shame about the no-show for fish, Ray!! You don't think the BRIGHT GREEN BOATmay have had an effect on the fish??

Looks like there was lots of camaraderie tho! NICE MUDDIES!! YUM!

There's always next year!

cheerio

Roberta

Hey mate,

Bad luck with the fishing.. But Dom the pics it looks like you had a really good time!! Quick question, what is the purpose of the leaves in the esky with the crabs??

They are mangrove branches, they are there to settle them down a bit, we ended up with 12 in there so twas a tad crowded..

Shame about the no-show for fish, Ray!! You don't think the BRIGHT GREEN BOATmay have had an effect on the fish??

Looks like there was lots of camaraderie tho! NICE MUDDIES!! YUM!

There's always next year!

cheerio

Roberta

Hey Roberta, that is my nephew Shane's old Hulk boat, very nice of him to lend it to us even though it is very bright green HAH!! :thumbup:

Ray I'm jealous to the point I'm about to turn the colour of that boat!!!! The fact that your up that way is awesome when are you due back?? Have you got time to do more fishing?

I've been invited up by a friend to fish the floodwaters next year I'm chomping at the bit and I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can

Ray I'm jealous to the point I'm about to turn the colour of that boat!!!! The fact that your up that way is awesome when are you due back?? Have you got time to do more fishing?

I've been invited up by a friend to fish the floodwaters next year I'm chomping at the bit and I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can

Yeah do it,if you have someone who knows a bit that's a huge advantage, dunno when I'll be back up there, I can sorta go anytime due to family up there in Darwin and all are champion fisho's with the odd boat or 4.. LOL.. :thumbup:

Me and the wife are already stocking gear to go! We've got free accomodation up there and an invite to visit cairns on the return trip if we can.

Just curiously where did you pick up the trick of the mangrove branches in with the muddies?? Does it really work??

Great read Ray. :thumbup:

Shame you didn't add to the points, but who cares?!! :1fishing1:

The mangrove leaves & branches work a treat in stopping the muddies tearing into each other. Mmmmm, mudcrabs. :drool:

Cheers,

Grant.

Welcome back old fella! A shame you didn't do as well as you have in the past but still a great time away. I can see why turkeys are almost extinct up there now :biggrin2: Great report and photos as always. :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian

Wow looks awesome up there!

I'm contemplating whether to head up to Darwin for a fishing trip or to Gold Coast for schoolies when I finish my HSC and seeing these kind of posts is making the decision easier and easier.. :1prop:

Besides Barra fishing what other species are good to target up there?..

Wondered where you 2 had got to :biggrin2:

Looks like a lot of fun and were there any women in that comp?

Plenty of Turkeys on that table there :yahoo:

Hi Donna, yes there was one team of 3 girls, and about 4-5 other teams that had a girl as well...