Big Beautiful Squirters

Dangas

Squid Fishing 101:

LESSON 1:

DO NOT POINT THE SQUID IN THE DIRECTION OF YOUR FACE WHEN HOLDING THE SQUID.

post-11346-042591600 1336908237_thumb.jpg

Picture of me after i was violated by the squid. :1badmood:

Anyway, its all part of the squidding experience and provided plenty of laughs for my crew. There are definitely a few very good sized squid around at the moment. These were caught in Botany last week. Notice some of the squid are almost as long as the bait tank.

post-11346-080582400 1336908314_thumb.jpg

We ended up filling the tank in no time with squid and headed out to chase kingies, but it wasnt to be. Ended up with squid ripped up by tailor or being taken by rats.

post-11346-055908900 1336908257_thumb.jpg

This one measured 66cm and was released.

After, several squid being lost, we made a call to keep the rest of the squid for a feast. The phone call was made to get the beers and barbie ready and a request was made for some kingfish sashimi by one of the boys at home. Unfortunately we had released the only keeper king so we decided to get the next best thing around and decided to bait fish for a few trevally. Trevally make some great sashimi and i would consider it on par with kings if prepared properly. With 4 trevs between 35cm-40cm in the bag, it was time to head home and wash the ink off the boat (and off my face)

hahahah - you got Peter North'ed :074:

I went out the other day and all the squid in the Bay are huge.... great size for big kingfish or a great feed!

Nice feed you ended up with there Dangas!

I lost three Daiwa squid jigs to tailor the other arvo

tried trolling for them and got zip :0(

Squid Fishing 101:

LESSON 1:

Anyway, its all part of the squidding experience and provided plenty of laughs for my crew. There are definitely a few very good sized squid around at the moment. These were caught in Botany last week. Notice some of the squid are almost as long as the bait tank.

We ended up filling the tank in no time with squid and headed out to chase kingies, but it wasnt to be. Ended up with squid ripped up by tailor or being taken by rats.

After, several squid being lost, we made a call to keep the rest of the squid for a feast. The phone call was made to get the beers and barbie ready and a request was made for some kingfish sashimi by one of the boys at home. Unfortunately we had released the only keeper king so we decided to get the next best thing around and decided to bait fish for a few trevally. Trevally make some great sashimi and i would consider it on par with kings if prepared properly. With 4 trevs between 35cm-40cm in the bag, it was time to head home and wash the ink off the boat (and off my face)

I lost three Daiwa squid jigs to tailor the other arvo

tried trolling for them and got zip :0(

Squid Fishing 101:

LESSON 1:

That squid didn't miss ! Haha good catch on the squids and the legal king.

Did you DR? So you are getting terrorized by tailors too hey?

Thanks buddy, We were downrigging all over the bay, and it was fairly quiet. went to all the usual spots, breakwall, oil wharf drums. The tailors were just shredding up the squid and they were pretty thick on the sounder too.

HAHAHAHA good one buddy! bet you were turned on with a face full of squirt! :biggrin2:

Awesome job on the squid, hopefully there's plenty around this week :biggrin2:

HAHA you can imagine what sort of comments i got from the crew. luckily i had my mouth closed.

Hey Dangas,

You know this kind of squirt is NOT good for the complexion.

In fact, the bigger humbolt squid ink has caustic properties which can burn skin...

I don't know if the ink from southerns and arrows has similar properties but certainly does stain....

So when you got home and your missus asked you the hard question "What are all those stains honey?"

and you told her, did she believe you or did she start packing YOUR bags ?

:1prop:

Tony

talk about money shot, ive copped it too mate,

i think they aim for the eyes and alot of the time wont ink until they have a shot,

ive found the hardest part is when your just about to net him cos its hard not to give him a shot lol.

also had them squirting ink all over the place so may be wrong. but generally as above.

:074:

Amazing how accurate they are! I've seen them get somebody's face from several metres away. Previous post makes sense! i think they must be aiming for our eyes. Funny how it's usually an inocent by-stander who cops it not the person actually reeling it in.

All part of the fun I suppose.

reeltired

Hey Dangas,

You know this kind of squirt is NOT good for the complexion.

In fact, the bigger humbolt squid ink has caustic properties which can burn skin...

I don't know if the ink from southerns and arrows has similar properties but certainly does stain....

So when you got home and your missus asked you the hard question "What are all those stains honey?"

and you told her, did she believe you or did she start packing YOUR bags ?

:1prop:

Tony

Hi Tony, My missus is a very understanding woman. She knows sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to bring home the bacon, or in this case the calamari rings.

Hi Tony, My missus is a very understanding woman. She knows sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to bring home the bacon, or in this case the calamari rings.

We like an understanding woman don't we.

We would much prefer that they pointed at us and laughed rather than pointed at us and then pointed at the door.

...even though they know it's rude to point...to make their point...

So we give her the calamari, smile and have that shower to make her stop laughing at us....

Tony