Hairtail

fishergirl

Hi Guys, hubby and the father in law went out for a fish in WB they we're expecting plenty on boats being a Friday night, when they got there not one boat to be found, they caught 10 losing another 5, longest being 1.8 meters, they got all fish just on dark, plenty of burley a must, using live yellowtail and pillys, they left at 8 pm pic not the best using the phone, tight lines all...

Are hairtail commonly that long? People would often catch pike eels and think they were hairtail.

yup hair tails can get big! plus from what i have seen so far, the size of these mystical creatures have doubled from last years stock :)

yup hair tails can get big! plus from what i have seen so far, the size of these mystical creatures have doubled from last years stock :)

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=12423

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im not here to be an A hole but to me they arent very common at that size ... the Raider record above for instance is well below , If i cant see a pic showing size and actual SPECIES ill just accept it as a maybe :wacko:

sorry Fishgirl :18:

Edited by GaryO

Here is a pike eel caught while on a nights jew fishing outing, ive lost count off how many of these we have landed. As you can see they are very similar .

post-19015-037670900 1337593427_thumb.jpg

Edited by GaryO

Doesnt upset me at all Fishgirl, i was just seeking clafication which u have shown me. As i mentioned i wasnt trying be smart about it. Anyway if there are some biggies about lets hope someone can go about posting up a new record for everyone else to aspire to beat .

Gaz

Got out there last night and got 2 hairies at 1.3 long, and dropped at least 10. They will go on the Barbie tonight at half time. Also released 1 soapie, 4 big greenbacks and a scumbo! Thank you fishergirl for your report it inspired me to get out there! I've got pics of the hairies on my fone and wouldn't have a clue how to upload them.

Cheers

Mim

Them some large hair tail. I was trying to tee up a hairtail session this weekend but plans got canceled. My question is how long do you think the hairies will stick around for? I don't think I'll be going till mid June.. Cheers

Defishent

I went out again last night,landed 10 lost at least 15 id be getting out ASAP they should be around for a bit,its crazy though theres a place i fish a bit and i caught a couple of big hairtail at xmas time just gone, so they have been around for a bit....

for the novices! me being one

hairtail rig that worked for us last year was 3-5kg line to a 12-18inch wire trace with 3-4 gangs dependant on pilly size

we attached a green glow stick but ive heard red work best [cant say either way]

if needed a a weight above trace to get it down

i really should get my 9yr old to tell you he caught em all even though we all had the same rigs

his idea was let dad bait it

let dad cast it

wake up when dad screamed

and just wind the sukker in!

im gonna hit Waratah this saturday and try and get a 2 mt specimen

watch out for hawkwind if ya out

cheers