Snowy Mountains Fly Fishing

Hi Raiders,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted as I haven’t wet a line for some time.

Unfortunately, I had to cut my Eucumbene trip short as my 4 year daughter was rushed to hospital after an asthma attack. So I’m writing up this report at the Children’s Westmead Hospital. Anyway - onto the report.

On day one (Wednesday), I fished a couple of hours with a good friend and caught the one brown just before dark.

post-13314-072214600 1337407557_thumb.jpg

One day two, I bumped into On Strike and his friend Rob while fishing the river. They arrived a day earlier and have had good success. On Strike and Rob were using lead split shots to get the fly down to the bottom, similar to Czech Nymphing technique, while I was using weighted flies. They’re hook up rates were a lot better than mine, so I decided to borrow/pinch some gear from them.

As we were fishing one pool, both On Strike and Rob were getting stuck into 5lb+ fish, while I was only pulling in 1-2lbs little ones…... very frustrating. I than hooked this one fish which pulled like a freight train. Just before we could get a glimpse of him, the fish took off downstream with On Strike and I followed closely behind. The fish took us 100m downstream until finally On Strike slipped the net under my trophy.

post-13314-021696800 1337407585_thumb.jpg

post-13314-075815500 1337407597_thumb.jpg

The fish weighed 8lbs and measured 70cm.

Hey Stewy, could you please upgrade my brown trout fly record?

Thanks On Strike for lending me some gear, sharing your tips and landing my fish. Without you, I wouldn’t have landed him. I owe you big time….

Here are a couple of other photos from the trip.

post-13314-075633700 1337407573_thumb.jpg

post-13314-021992400 1337407611_thumb.jpg

Yours Sincerely,

Caddis

Edited by Caddis

Hi Chris,

We had a great time didn't we and caught some cracking fish too. Glad I could help you land that beauty. The photos really dont do it justice though. It is a beautifully coloured and conditioned fish. It was great to meet you and share some banter as well. We will do it again some time soon. Hope your little one comes through ok

On Strike

Paul

( P.S. You forgot to mention I gave up my spot to you immediately before you caught that fish too:)

Edited by On Strike

Cracking Brown Caddis :thumbup: The Euc has been throwing up some of the best quality Browns I have seen in ages, plenty of fish up to 12lb are being caught.

Also hearing some interesting rumours about big fish in the Thredbo too :biggrin2:

Keep up the great reports.

Windy

Awesome fish there, Caddis!! The river would have been freezing - it looks like you beat that cold snap, tho?

Beautiful markings & a magnificent specimen!! Well done. Hope to hear your daughter is OK soon!

Cheers

Roberta

Daughter is doing well and back at pre-school. Thanks Roberta and slinkymalinky for your concerns.

It certainly was cold, but nothing a good pair of thermo underwear won't fix.

The Eucumbene river is relatively easy fishing. Unfortunately, I didn't have my switch rod with me as spey/double handed casting would be perfect on the river.

Best

Caddis