Dollies one week... Hairtail, Squid , Flatties, Tailor the next !

dhype

Hey Raiders

Back from a quick holiday and managed to find the worst charter in Hawaii. Caught a stack of Dollies on the troll on 6 million sized rod/reels... the gear was that heavy rod never bent and we just winched in all the fish... i would rather mow the lawn than to go out with that mob again. Also, found out the "captain" of the charter boat owns all the fish that is caught even though you pay $800 to go on his stupid charter!!! (they sell the fish to the local eateries i was told).

Here is a picture of me with the captain's catch!!! Cock..

post-10545-056638400 1341750701_thumb.jpg

Anyway, back to Sydney was with all the reports of Hairtail I had to give it a shot. Being a complete Hairtail virgin with absolutely no ideal what to do, where to go I flicked Quintrex480 a PM for some help (thanks mate!). A few emails later and a quick read of the fishraider hairtail article off we went in the polycraft to Cowan Creek for a crack of these cool looking beasts.. Left home late, a bucket of KFC and missing the turn off to the ramp meant we did not get into the water until 9:30pm.

Rigged up a few rods and even before our balls had a chance to freeze due to the cold we on! High fives all round when the first fish hit the deck! Landed a few and dropped plenty also... had a good run which we suspected was a good jew. All up a great night out and happy with our first attempt at hairtailing :yahoo:

post-10545-052542500 1341752178_thumb.jpg

post-10545-067098600 1341752193_thumb.jpg

Sunday, had nothing to do so hit the Bay at 2:30pm to see if there was anything around... meet Formosan and Aeroguard at the ramp as they were about to head home, good see you guys again! The plan was to get to squid and flatties for dinner... fished till sunset and got 3 massive squid, 4 tailor and a small 50cm flatty home for dinner. Happy days once again, so good to be back in the water :thumbup:

Cheers

Trung

Edited by dhype

Hey Raiders

Back from a quick holiday and managed to find the worst charter in Hawaii. Caught a stack of Dollies on the troll on 6 million sized rod/reels... the gear was that heavy rod never bent and we just winched in all the fish... i would rather mow the lawn than to go out with that mob again. Also, found out the "captain" of the charter boat owns all the fish that is caught even though you pay $800 to go on his stupid charter!!! (they sell the fish to the local eateries i was told).

Here is a picture of me with the captain's catch!!! Cock..

post-10545-056638400 1341750701_thumb.jpg

Anyway, back to Sydney was with all the reports of Hairtail I had to give it a shot. Being a complete Hairtail virgin with absolutely no ideal what to do, where to go I flicked Quintrex480 a PM for some help (thanks mate!). A few emails later and a quick read of the fishraider hairtail article off we went in the polycraft to Cowan Creek for a crack of these cool looking beasts.. Left home late, a bucket of KFC and missing the turn off to the ramp meant we did not get into the water until 9:30pm.

Rigged up a few rods and even before our balls had a chance to freeze due to the cold we on! High fives all round when the first fish hit the deck! Landed a few and dropped plenty also... had a good run which we suspected was a good jew. All up a great night out and happy with our first attempt at hairtailing :yahoo:

post-10545-052542500 1341752178_thumb.jpg

post-10545-067098600 1341752193_thumb.jpg

Sunday, had nothing to do so hit the Bay at 2:30pm to see if there was anything around... meet Formosan and Aeroguard at the ramp as they were about to head home, good see you guys again! The plan was to get to squid and flatties for dinner... fished till sunset and got 3 massive squid, 4 tailor and a small 50cm flatty home for dinner. Happy days once again, so good to be back in the water :thumbup:

Cheers

Trung

hahah you serious buddy? you paid $800 for the captain to keep the fish?!?!?! WTF! you can pay me $50 to come on mine and I might let you keep a bream or something! :biggrin2:

well done, you've lost your hairy virginity! top session for your first time! all good with the help buddy.

welcome home! now just for summer to come so we can get onto them kingies again! can't wait!

Guest hawkesbass

Unlucky on the charter but well done on your first hairtail session there is some qaulity squid around at the moment

Off to Hawaii in December so i'll have to look out for those sort of boats! Great work for a first time mate! I also went for a first go saturday night but 0 for me... ah well

They all charge around that much if you want a private boat. $300 will get you a half day reef bash with other groups, an almost guaranteed morning of tangles and frustration. Worth spending the money and booking a game boat, you won’t watch someone else pull in your fish either. All the charters carry massive Pens/Tiagras and if they put you on a 200lbs Ahi you’ll know why. Keeping the fish is standard, most will give you 25-50 lbs though. Still cheaper than the charters in Northern QLD!

$800 for a charter is cheap compared to Australian Charters. I was paying that for half the lines in the water when trolling besides the bottom bash in QLD.

How did you handle the change in climate back in Sydney at night. Good to see you catch a few hairtail for your efforts. Back to the days of the sixties. Bring it on.

When fishing at Lord Howe Island years ago, paid for the charter (cannot remember the price now) and caught plenty of kingies. Were only allowed to keep one kingie each, the rest were sold to the various accommodation units, the club, etc. Had an argument with the captain's wife because I wanted 2 fish (I caught plenty, more than most others) but the captain gave in and allowed me 2 (his wife was still snarly). Put the fillets in the freezer, and they travelled back to Sydney on the plane almost still frozen. Lord Howe kingies taste much better than NSW kingies, even the frozen fillets still tasted very good.

Yeah all the charters there cost about 800 bucks if you have them to yourself... you can always split the charter with a number of people and share the cost/rods. The charter I was on had the worst crew you could imagine... Was going to do a few more charters but first one left a bad taste in my mouth so kept my money in my pocket instead.

The operators get between $10 - $15 a lb for fish they sell so it's a big money spinner for them...

BTW- ate the hairtail and it was great! One of the better tasting fish out there.. was very surprised cuz I thought it would be tough and fishy.Yum!

Not sure about Hawaii but I know that because Lord Howe doesn't allow any commercial fishing, the charters provide fish for all the eateries on the island.

So I understand where they're coming freom, but they should explain this better when booking the charter.

And like YOWIE, if you catch a heap you should be able to keep more!

Nice Hairtail!

Now what are you going to do with all that Dollie in Hawaii? Did you have a vacuum packer with you?

Judging by the photo you were out on Sea Hawk (Maggie Joe charters). I have been out on that Charter and all though the fishing wasn't great the young skipper was good and did his best to find us some fish. We got some good Dollies though and he offered us some good cuts from the fillets so we can get a Restaurant to cook it for us and even gave us some advise on which Restaurants would do something with it. Did you ask for some? Or just assume you were getting some?

You are trying to apply Australian charter operations to a US based operations. They don't operate the same way, ALL the charters over in Hawaii are the same, the fish they catch get sold to the restaurants. I have been on a few out of Honolulu and on Maui and they are generally the same, fish get sold to the restaurants and all have offered some good cuts from the fillets (off Maui we got some Yellowfin and Big-Eye, YUMMMM).

Also remember the skipper and deckies don't get paid a great deal and depend on tips and selling the fish to local restaurants.

Cheers

Windy