Line Rewinder

Blood Knot

Bought myself a $10 sewing machine off the web and used the motor (complete with vari-speed footpedal control) to make this line rewinder. Also doubles as a device to put some tension on the line when spooling up as there is a little brake drum inside the square post that is adjustable by the handle at the front of the post. Have got to knock up a cover for the motor and incorporate a reel mount or a spindle to hold the spool that is being stripped.

post-99-027131000 1344688721_thumb.jpg

Cheers Blood Knot

You should add a roteserie motor as well to use it for rod building epoxy work. Just need to change the belt over when u use it.

Interesting suggestion and I did have some thoughts about building another rod lathe.(Could just add another reduction pulley to get the RPM down to rotisserie speed).

My wife was a bit surprised at my sudden interest in sewing machines, she would be sending me off for a check up if I showed an interest in cooking. :074:

Cheers Blood Knot

love the idea.

im gonna copy it, its brilliant,

did all the stuff in yr pic come out of a sew

ing machine.

regards

fitzy

Hiya Fitzy, couple of details for you:

I welded up the post and fitted up the bearings (left over from a previous home work shop job).

Spindle is just a piece of round bar and the pulley was turned up from a piece of nylon bar stock. Having said that reckon you could use the large wheel on the sewing machine as your "big" pulley with what ever mods would be required to fit it to a new spindle.

Use the belt from the sewing machine as I did.

Small self aligning bearings and housings you can get from SKF or CBC bearing shops.

Bent up a bit of stainless sheet to make the additional motor bracket - but you could play around with the one on the motor and possibly make it work.

Greatest challenge was figuring out how the light fitting and switch which were wired to the motor so i could remove and still get the motor to run.

Also had a few foot pedal problems - and had to do a solder repair to the innards to get it to operate across its speed range rather than flat out or stop. Something to look for when purchasing a motor that did not occur to me at the time.

I will put another pic of the other end for you.

Cheers

Blood Knot

Thats awesome I was looking into getting a cheap wood turning leith for the same reason but the problem I was facing was to high speed and no speed control. That's definitely a cheaper and better option. Shame I dumped my my old washing machine last time I did a tip run for her.

• 2 weeks later...