Lowrance HDS 5

Ian J

I need to up date my sounder and plotter to something that works :ranting2:

Looking at the Lowrance HDS 5 with the 5m as the second screen plotter. But just unsure on screen size don't want to spend the money and not be happy, have check them out but sitting on the fence at the moment.

The question that I have,

Do you find the screens OK, not to small and resolution etc

With the structure scan is the screen to small to fit all the info on left and right down.

Would love to jump up to the 7's but by the time you throw in a good card, structure scan, transducer its starting to push the budget.

Boat is a 6.1 plate so should have enough room to fit both

After the separate screens so if anybody else could recommend anything else that also would be appreciated

Cheers

Ian

Ian I've just purchased the Elite 5 Combo which is similar to the HDS but with slightly less Sonar definition.

I rarely use the split screen function , it's either the GPS to get to the mark then switch to the sonar so perhaps not a need for two units , ie once your at or near the required location then change to the sonar.

I was concerned with the screen size when shopping around but find the 127mm is more than adeqate.

The Elite 5 comes with the Navionics XL9 Gold card. Is this the card your refering to in your post ??

If you want a larger screen then check out the GME G Series. They have a 142mm screen.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff for your reply

At the moment I'm finding that I'm constantly changing screens from sounder to chart so hence the two screen set up, Was thinking that I would go a 7 and a 5 in the plotter, or should it be the other way? with the over lay that you can do with the HDS, etc

Was thinking the platinum card.

Decisions decisions

cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have a HDS-5 and I find the screen being a little too small to have it split. Does get annoying but you learn to live with it.

My recommendation would be to hold off until you can afford to buy the 7. Enough of a difference in size to make the extra dollars worth it in my opinion...

Cheers.

Funny isnt it we spend big bucks on boats etc but not everyone likes to pay for a good sounder do your self a favour & get a good one, depending on what type of fishing you do but with a 6mtr plate boat id put a hds8 or 7 as a minimum.

My plotter is a lcx 27 7" screen & sounder is hds8

Edited by scaffsta

I have a hds 8 and structure scan too all in a 14 foot abalone centre console and works just great for me . My advice to you is like tv's once you have found what you think is the right size , save some more $$ and go one size bigger