Townsvile-airlie Beach To Mackay Holiday

Livie

We have booked the flights to townsville :1clap: at the end of August , We will only stay a few days there as Ive been there :badair: and its to show the wife :wife: around.

Then we have another ten days to travel down to Mackay in a hire car.

My problem is; (as ive not traveled south of Townsville) How many days do I book at Airlie beach and how many do I book at Makay?

What area is the beter to spend time with two very young sons :tease: (one and four),Inc Mum :wife: , and also sneak off :beersmile: for a land based fish and the odd guided fish?

We then fly out of Mackay back to crapsville(Sydney) :1badmood: .

Any ideas or experiance from you lot would be greatfull.

Mick

Edited by Livie

Guest Jewel

The :wife: and I were up in Airlie earlier this year, its a great place but we only spent 5 days there :thumbdown: . It seems like all types are catered for from backpackers to families. It also is a good base to explore the Whitsundays from.

Shore based fishing is a little difficult but the wharf at Shute harbour can provide a bit of fun!

There are a couple of good charters or you can hire boats from the harbour.

Thanks mate, I decieded to halve it down the middle, 3 nites at Townsville, 5 nites at Airlie and 5 nights at Mackay.

Now its time to find a good two piece 6-8kg About the proportions of the one in you pic.

I figure my two piece steve Starling squidgie bass rod and somthing for the bigger fish(new two piece) teamed up with a 3000 and 5000 Shimano Spheros respectivly should do :1fishing1:

Mick

Edited by Livie

spewing, i just cancelled my whitsundays trip for august :thumbdown:

there are heaps of places to check out on that part of the coast. i would strongly advise on checking out teemburra dam just west of Mackay. its great for the kids plus your in with a chance for a barra or a sooty. you can drive right down to the waters edge. just turn right when you drive in.

on the way im sure the kids/wife will love the tame platapus' at eungella. its a great national park. just beautiful

mate, get onto bobj, we dropped in on our trip to sample his great home brew :beersmile::thumbup:

top bloke and he will show you and probably take you to a top landbased headland.

Hi Livie,

I was just in Townsville and Airlie beach a couple of months ago and had a great time. I had some of the best fishing of my life in Airlie Beach surprisingly.

There were alot of people fishing and no one catching anything, myself included, but by day three i had the place sorted - so here are my tips.

If the water is clear try the end of the breakwall at the marina where all the dive boats leave from early in the morning. I hooked a medium sized spanish mackeral on a big raider but he did me at my feet and also landed a number of Trevally and some other hard pullers which did me on the rocks on bass minnows - i was fishing way too light.

Under the Shute harbour wharf are some of the biggest fish i have ever seen. You can fish there when the ferrys are not running - think it is after like 5:00 in the afternoon. There were Giant Trevally under that wharf which must have gone 30kg. And a Spanish mackeral - which was wierd but he was carving up the bait fish. I hooked a couple of fish on lure there but got wrapped aroun the poles. Fish really heavy!!!really Heavy.

I also got a few decent coral trout out of that wharf on sunset and a wharf on daydream island. They were much bigger than the ones i got on the charter i went on. Once again fishreally heavy with no drag and just bully them up

Still the wierdest fishing experience of the trip was on the foreshores of Townsville we witnessed a Barra free jump out of the water on to the rocks next to an old guy fishing. He simply lent over and slit its throat. He was so excited. It was a good barra 2.

Good Luck Hope this helps.

The tackle store on the main street of airle was really helpful and showed me all the local spots. and also laughed at my bream gear. Telling me that the trevally would smash me.,

Livie

Airlie all the way with the young ones you will be able to spend plenty of time around the lagoon/ pool area in the middle of town and it should be warm enough to do a few laps and check out all the backpackers there working on there sun tans :1clap:. I wish i had of got up there when I was 19 and done my bit for my country :074: so to speak.

Gaven :1prop:

i have been meaning to head up there this year but just havent had time due other commiments and $$$..i have relatives who live 15 mins outside of airlie beach who we visited 2yrs back around august and there was an abundance of surface action around shute harbourl but didnt have any fishing gear with us but all this talk of backpacker talk is making it sound all more inviting to head back up and i just happen to still be in my youth.. :1naughty: looks like better start saving.. :1prop:

Thanks fellas, Here is the joint we are thinking of staying(We need two rooms for the boys)http://www.shingleybeachresort.com.au/index.html

Is that close to the fishing grounds?

I also hope to hire a tinny, So as to fish the wharfs from the "other "side, And pull em out sideways.

Some of the best fun im having is contemplating a HD tropical Two piece(for travel) to handle those GT's.

I really like some of thoes jap Jig sticks, Some are so "finess" that they must be able to cast ok, But Ive not found one in two piece. Maybe Ill just need to make a longer rod travel tube :beersmile:

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Livie

Thanks fellas, Here is the joint we are thinking of staying(We need two rooms for the boys)

http://www.shingleybeachresort.com.au/index.html

Is that close to the fishing grounds?

I also hope to hire a tinny, So as to fish the wharfs from the "other "side, And pull em out sideways.

Some of the best fun im having is contemplating a HD tropical Two piece(for travel) to handle those GT's.

I really like some of thoes jap Jig sticks, Some are so "finess" that they must be able to cast ok, But Ive not found one in two piece. Maybe Ill just need to make a longer rod travel tube  :beersmile:

Cheers

Mick

58453[/snapback]