Alloy Or Glass

BUSTER 1

Just as a matter of intrerest and i am talking about boats in the 4.5 to 5.5 class e/g Quintrex Stacer Ally Craft Clark and so on centre consol, would you consider buying the same thing in glass .I know glass is weighty but alloy boats are geting heavier,and the old story you can knock alloy about and not worry about it. But when these boats are in 20 to 30000 grand price bracket I think you tend to look after them I know I do. I see boats like Poycraft creating a lot of intrest and look good. By the way my boat is a 475 Quintrex Legend and i love it but i think if it was in glass i might love it more. Am I dreaming P/S any body know of glass that fit the bill ????????????

Guest MarkD

Buster,

I've only ever owned 2 glass boats so can not give an educated comparative comment, however in that price bracket the "Formula 15" centre console which is based on a Haines mould is a boat I've heard very good reports of. You may even get the next model up for that $$

Cheers

Mark

Buster

If i was you i would stay clear away from Quintrex and Stacer and take up Whitto's offer and test a Poly out.I went in Dave W's on the weekend and it is great, better riding than the hornet thats for sure.

Rich

I own a 3 year old 475 ALLYCRAFT and I love my boat I use it fortnightly and I havn't bashed her around at all it lives in the garage and the car sleeps in the car port

As a fussy owner the one thing that seems to PISS me off with Alloy boats is the corrosion problems with the paint work under brackets or where the welds weren't cleaned at ther factory .And its not only mine with the problem Ive seen Quinny, Blue fins, Bar crusher also with the problem they drill holes in gunnels and then the paint corrodes sometimes I dont think they even etch prime them either

If the manufacturers Sica flex all brackets I would'nt have had half the problems with her Polly wouldn't have that problem for sure :wacko:

Buster1 Icant give you much advice on glass boats as I've had limited experience

in them . The best glass boat that i had the pleasure in fishing in would be the

FORMULA 233 from haines. theres a mob down the coast that still produce thehull

from 15ft -19ft-23ft great hull shapes. Eden Graft.

As for the alloy boats' well' I might be here all day,but to keep it sweet ,2 problems

crap inported 5052alloy,and paint before fitout.

They must predrill all the holes than paint,aproved silicons that do not eat into

alloy.For softer riding go plate alloy 3mm minimum and spray poly foam to minimize noise. :wacko:

Hazza

Guest Jocool
and spray poly foam to minimize noise. :wacko:

Hazza

58177[/snapback]

Harry, is that the flotation foam that you mention? I heard that you can't put the spray-on foam on alloy as it reacts with it???? Or is it a different product?

I own a 3 year old 475 ALLYCRAFT and I love my boat  I use it fortnightly  and I  havn't bashed her around at all it lives in the garage and the car sleeps in the car port

As a fussy owner the one thing that seems to PISS me off with Alloy boats is the corrosion problems with the paint work under brackets or where the welds weren't cleaned at ther factory  .And its not only mine with the problem Ive seen Quinny, Blue fins, Bar crusher also  with the problem they drill holes in gunnels and then the paint corrodes  sometimes I dont think they even etch prime them either

If the manufacturers  Sica flex all brackets I would'nt  have had half the problems with her  Polly wouldn't have that problem for sure  :wacko:

58167[/snapback]

Wet Patch I know what you mean I look after my quintrex like a baby it 2 years old and has eletrolises spots poping up everywhere and every time you bump something the bloody paint falls off ,why cant alloy boats have gunnell rubbers .I know that I am fussy but I have had glass boats that took a lot less looking after .Is it just me .might be old age catching up : :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2::ranting2::ranting2: :

Hi Buster 1,

Had the same chioce earlier this year and went with the Polycraft 4.55 ... zero regrets  :thumbup:

If you want to take a ride ... just say the word ... Shire boy too  :1clap:

58145[/snapback]

G/day Whitto thanks for the offer would love to have ride sometime ,those Polycraft look very good .P/S ran into a mate [scott] think he has your old boat.us Shire boys must stick together :1clap::1clap::1clap:

G/day Whitto thanks for the offer would love to have ride sometime ,those Polycraft look very good .P/S ran into a mate [scott] think he has your old boat.us Shire boys must stick together  :1clap:  :1clap:  :1clap:

58207[/snapback]

It was love at first sight for Scott with my old boat ... I don't blame him though :biggrin2:

Only thing bugged me with that boat was the electrolysis, did everything in my power to keep it looking great and the paint starts to bubble anyway :ranting2:

I am going to paint an old alloy hull at work this week just to see how much better a real etch/primer/2 pack paint job will be compared to the oneshot powdercoat most manufacturers supply.

Poly is a better way ... for a new boat :thumbup:

Ready to demo mine anytime ... any excuse :biggrin2:

Hi, I have had alloy and now have a Stinger 580 glass boat, finish is excellent , performance is great, the fitout is great, cost me 35K BMT - I have a Suzuki 70 x 4 stroke which gives 30 knots on flat water. Much quiter that my old Qunnie and I just love going fishing in a boat that works well and gets plenty of complements at the ramp. I looked at Poly, and for the money they are not bad, but come nowhere near a good glass boat for finish and presentation, although they cost less I felt that they were over priced by comparison. Stinger BoatsTake a look at the stinger site. Smithie

post-757-1121725948_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have had alloy and now have a Stinger 580 glass boat, finish is excellent , performance is great, the fitout is great, cost me 35K BMT - I have a Suzuki 70 x 4 stroke which gives 30 knots on flat water.  Much quiter that my old Qunnie and I just love going fishing in a boat that works well and gets plenty of complements at the ramp.  I looked at Poly, and for the money they are not bad, but come nowhere near a good glass boat for finish and presentation, although they cost less I felt that they were over priced by comparison.  Stinger BoatsTake a look at the stinger site.  Smithie

58476[/snapback]

G/day Smithie looke like a great boat but ,a bit big foe me

Getting back to the questions surrounding foam.

It's a polyurathane expanded foam. It is an epoxy base material, and being an epoxy it does not harm the alloy.

It's available in 1 kg to 20 kg kit.

Can be poured or you can be purchased as a nosel gun with part A & part B, however costs more that way.

Theres a lot of positives to this product but the only down fall is when a crack in

the hull appears the foam would have to be cut out and replaced.

Hope this helps

Hazza