Jew Mission accomplished

davegroves68

Hi all.

Its a Middle Harbour Jew report again :biggrin2: . Seems they are just going off there at the moment. I am no literary genius so I will just tell it as I saw it.

I have caught most kinds of fish here since I moved here from Wales. Kings, Snapper, Bream, Flathead etc. But until last night, no Jewfish. I have been busted off on the beach, I even took a mate out in Middle harbour 2 weeks ago and he got his first one.But I was still a Jewie virgin.

So, the plan was to go out on Middle Harbour on Saturday arvo with 2 mates and fish though the night for the elusive Mulloway .First hiccup .. mates pulled out at lunchtime. I decided to go on my own anyway. Onboard by 5.30pm and headed to Yeoland Point. Nothing much happening but I did pull up a squid on a pilchard intended for a flathead or Jew.First Livie I suppose.As it went dark i couldn't even get yakkas so I went back to the mooring in Powder Hulk and filled up the livebait tank. 8.30pnm and back to the spot. Dropped the now dead squid and within 2mins I was hearing the reel sing and I was on to my very first Jew. A couple of good runs and the big slab of silver was onboard. Not a monster but at 65cms, I was happy :yahoo: .

It then went quiet for a while, then around about 10pm after a call from my Jew Guru boss, he said chuck an unweighted pillie in close to shore. Sure enough, 10mins later the reel goes off again. A little bigger this time and a much better fight. I'm running 30lb braid with 40lb florocarbon trace to a 2 hook snelled pilchard. He comes on board and my biggest problem is I have nobody with me to high5.

I broke my PB!!! it's now at 68cms.

I was getting tired now. Nothing was touching the live yakka, so I thought I would get some shuteye for an hour or so. But, just as I was dropping off, I heard my reel go off again :biggrin2: And it was the unweighted Pillie again. Another solid fish again. Put in 2 runs but I never felt I may loose it.

Got him over the side and he came in at 67cms.

All things went quiet after 1am, ( and I slept).

Awake at 4am to continue, but nothing happening. Maybe I wasn't focused as I had more than completed my mission.

Pulled the pin at 7am, but VERY HAPPY. Main lesson learned for me was not to be too worried about chasing yakkas. But if you get a squid, that's a bonus bait. Pillies do OK.

A few pics here . A bit tricky as I was on my own , then the wife took some with a milk container in them so I can enter COTM. Hope that qualifies as a container.

post-10917-089250700 1351421509_thumb.jpg post-10917-068411200 1351421972_thumb.jpgpost-10917-043529900 1351421288_thumb.jpg

Good hunting Fishraiders, my dinner was beautiful tonight. :thumbup:post-10917-097448300 1351421344_thumb.jpgpost-10917-099374400 1351421443_thumb.jpg

Dave

By the way, it wasn't all smiles... I lost 2 good fish aswell :thumbdown:

Edited by Welsh Dave

Hi Dave,

Good onya for cracking the code. We were out sat night as well near you for a jew mission. We had no problem finding the jew but had issues with hooking up. Lost a very nice one but rest were about the same size as yours. Only got one into the boat. The tide and moon was really good for jews and they were out feeding in very large numbers. We fished in deep water at about 90ft. How deep were you fishing?

The jews are nice and fat ATM.

Mike

Hi Dave,

Good onya for cracking the code. We were out sat night as well near you for a jew mission. We had no problem finding the jew but had issues with hooking up. Lost a very nice one but rest were about the same size as yours. Only got one into the boat. The tide and moon was really good for jews and they were out feeding in very large numbers. We fished in deep water at about 90ft. How deep were you fishing?

The jews are nice and fat ATM.

Mike

Cheers Mike. I was fishing in 23 metres at first out from the Port marker, then later, closer to shore.

I have learned quite a few tips from reading your posts...thanks.

• 4 years later...

Hey Arthur,

I think you must be fishing with a way too heavy sinker, as you have pulled that report up from the deep depths of the reports pile, it was from 2012!!!

I think size limits may have changed since then, and I think there may also be a keep limit of 2.

20 hours ago, arthur06 said:

Hey mate, nice job on that mate, careful there though as I am pretty sure the legal limit is 70cm. I am not certain so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct