DIY Live Bait Tank - Few Problems with Adhesive Mounting Bracket

lostproperty

We have been playing around building a live bait tank for my mates boat and we have got the whole thing set up, currently with a temporary "mounting solution" which involves "doms dodgy repairs" zip tying the bilge pump to a broom pole which is zip tied to the boat. This was only supposed to be for 1 outing but it's managed to last a few while we are working out how to secure the bilge pump to the transom.

Problem.

We don't want to screw into the Transom, there is already a bracket that has been screwed into he transom, the bracket is old and broken, and not too keep to keep screwing stuff into the transom over and over again

We glued a pickup bracket to the transom and it fell off while we were out in the water (lucky we tested it before mounting the pump to it!) The idea of the pickup is it pushes water into the bait tank while we are moving without the need to run the bilge pump. I cant remember the name of the glue we used but we got it from the local boat supply shop and he reckons its the best - clearly not though because it didn't stand up for 5 hours in the water.

We have a bracket that the transducer is mounted to however we dont want the bilge pump operating right next to the transducer as it might cause interference

Anyone got any ideas? Worst case scenario we will need to get another mount welded on the other side of the boat and screw into that but I dont think were keen to go down that path. Does anyone know of any amazing glue's out there

Once we have everything completed I will post up a quick build thread, we are trying to do it on a bit of a budget, using a beer barrel I got of feebay for 30 bucks and the bilge pump was only about 20, the bracket we lost was about 40 bucks tho and the waste of time glue so far was 30 bucks as well.

Any help much appreciated, if anything unclear ask away and I will try explain/take photos if necessary

Can't help with the glue , 2 holes & 20 cents worth of SS screws is a more permenant solution.

For interest , when mounting , the correct position is to have the pick up pipe as close as possible to the bottom , not protruding so when on the plane it's protected from damage from anything passing under the boat or when parked on a beach.

Photo now added

post-731-008927000 1352597286_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

I've got the same pickup on my boat. I screwed mine into the hull, and positioned it so the facing hole on the pickup was just under the edge of the boat but between 2 chines.

They do pickup a ton of water though, they push more than the 500gph pump I got does.

If he's not keen on drilling there is always the method used on timber boats-drill oversize holes,fill them with marine grade epoxy,and scew into the epoxy when it's cured.

Cheers,

Dave.

Haha sorry to laugh but that just sounds funny, Im not too sure if he'd be keen on drilling an even bigger hole even if it was going to be filled.

I suggested we drill, then glue & screw with washers which would seal it but still not keen to do it.

Thinking about making a bracket that is similar to my broom pole but is sturdy enough to hold the pump at all times and sits a bit more flush to the back of the transom, we'll see how it goes.

Was considering also mounting the bracket to a piece of wood/aluminum and gluing that to the transom as the larger surface area would help hold it, but still trying to find good enough adhesive

yes i was at a tradie bbq this morning put on by asa adhesives and they were showing off a new product like silican which sticks all sought stuff from bricks to plastics and can be used under water and is totaly waterproof they had a full plastic cup of water stuck to a tile and no leaks when turned up side down didnt get the name of product but im sure if you google them you will find it,cheers dunc333

Can't help with the glue , 2 holes & 20 cents worth of SS screws is a more permenant solution.

For interest , when mounting , the correct position is to have the pick up pipe as close as possible to the bottom , not protruding so when on the plane it's protected from damage from anything passing under the boat or when parked on a beach.

Have tried to attach a photo but no luck. Will try to post the photo seperatly

Geoff

You might need to post up a pic explaining what you mean mate ? or you can email to to me furiousangles@hotmail.com if that helps

You might need to post up a pic explaining what you mean mate ? or you can email to to me furiousangles@hotmail.com if that helps

Have sent an E Mail. For some reason I can now add the photo. See my earlier post dated 9/11/2012.

Geoff

Screw it on mate!

There is nothing on the market that will stick it on

under that sort of pressure.

Another alternative would be to fibreglass a bracket in.

It is very common to screw into the transom of a tinny.

Quick, easy, permanent & when silicon is used should stop

corrosion between the stainless screws & aluminium.

Cheers,

Grant.

Would cutting out a sheet of water proof ply to fit across the stern/transom of the boat and have the ply bolted to the transom along with having this glue you bought or another glue used to assist in sealing it to transom. Then you can connect what you want to the ply.

You could also cut out a second piece to fit inside the transom and the bolts go right through and again you can fit what you like to that ply.

All up four bolts and four holes and a very solid transom.

Hope I make sense. I did this to a tinny I had and never regretted it. Outboard motor also was bolted onto the board

your after urethane champ, i have succesfully glued my pick-up bracket on to my aluminium boat.

there is all sorts of urethane out there, the sika brand is the best.i fit windscreens for a living so i have an endless supply.

lots of places sell it beias boating and also brunnings.. just rough up the surface a bit with sandpaper first and away you go..:1fishing1:

I used sikaflex as a temp fix for a busted transducer bracket.

It lasted about 6 months before it gave way.

I like the theory behind the ply idea but it will rot eventually.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hhmm we'll have to see how well it works when we try again and clean up the surface for a better bond.

I'm looking at all these great ideas & solutions

& I see weight being added to the hull, lots of time

& effort for varying results that probably will fail eventually. :wacko:

As I said before, screw the bloody thing in & use sikaflex as well

to combat erosion & it will NEVER fail you!

Cheers,

Grant.

The idea for another bracket similar to the transducer mount on the opposite side is in consideration it wouldn't weigh much as but the big downer is cost.

Screwing it is ideal but like I said above my mate isn't too keen to screw another bracket on as there is already one screwed on, however he might change his mind after we lose another $40 pickup if the glue fails again haha !

We'll see how the sika flex lasts with a better bonding surface and let everyone know how it's goes, appreciate all the input and will definately post up a build thread in the coming month

Everyone screws in to their tinny's mate, its not a big deal at all! Your making a mountain out of a mole hole and wasting time and money! What is your mate worried about? He is never going to take the pickup off once there so its not like he is ruining aesthetics by drilling. As you said, use washers and sikaflex and it will be 100% sealed and waterproof.

I used Sikaflex to stick a 5cm odd square piece of nylon/plastic cutting board roughed up prior to glueing it to the transom. When cured I screwed the bait tank pickup to the nylon board. Lasted four years until I sold my boat.

Paul

On Strike.

get a piece of polyethylene not nylon chopping board

sika to back , use a large enough piece and it wont go anywhere

like this I did for my transducer

IMG_9553.jpg

This is straight off the back of a sikaflex pro cartdrige.

"will not adhere to polyethylene, polypropylene or PTFE."

Cheers,

Grant.