Botany Bay 17/11/12

350chev

Hi raiders,

It's been a while since my last post, manly due to the fact that I haven't really been getting anything worthwhile posting about. Over this winter I've hit the bay a few times for very little result. Even gave the harbor a go for not much either.

Anyway hit botany yesterday morning, late start at around 8:00am. The trip was manly to test out my new proprietary see how it would go. Put the boat in at cooks river ramp and slowly made our way out to the mouth of the river. Once there put down the throttle and I was pleased :). New prop pushed the old girl out of the water nicely, much better then the old worn out mini fan I had on it before.

Now to the fishing. Hit molli point first, there were two other boats there, one of them was a local charter I think. Anchored up, got the burley going and put out some baits.

We were using hawksbury prawns, pillies and some squid.

We sat there for a few hours with only the odd baby snapper making an appearance. Pulled anchor and shot over to the drums, where a big oil tanker sat quietly. With burley going strong my prawn was taken in a big way on my new rig, 2-4 kg carbon fibre stick and 1000 real loaded with 2kg braid.

After a short and exciting fight I boated a nice 35cm Trevally. From there on I landed 3 more at that size, a 40cm flatty and a nice flounder.

My bro inlaw had a nice touch, and with a strike loaded up onto something not to exciting. Halfway into it the rod loaded right up and things became a little more intense.

Eventually we had a flatty of around 70cm behind the boat. With the net ready, she opened her mouth and of she went.

The funny thing was that there still was a small flatty hooked. Is it possible that the small was the initial fish then along came the cannibal flatty and tried eating the little one??

Anyway top of the tied and things went dead. Went over to the western side of the oil wharf, near a new structure, looks like one if those oil rigs you see out at sea. Anchored up there and fished for an hour or so. The only thing we managed were yakkas. The water was absolutely full of them. Great for bait but we had run out of time.

We where back at the ramp by 3.

Water temps stayed between 17 and 18 deg. Wind was a slight ESE. Back at the ramp there were two chaps, which had been fishing out of a nice Trophy centre console. They showed us this thumping Trevally which would looked more like a small GT. They said they had caught a few like that and a few squid.

Anyway guys things look like they might be starting to improve, so really looking forward to the summer months.

Tight lines raiders.

Cheers Daniel

My bro inlaw had a nice touch, and with a strike loaded up onto something not to exciting. Halfway into it the rod loaded right up and things became a little more intense.

Eventually we had a flatty of around 70cm behind the boat. With the net ready, she opened her mouth and of she went.

The funny thing was that there still was a small flatty hooked. Is it possible that the small was the initial fish then along came the cannibal flatty and tried eating the little one??

Cheers Daniel

Big flatties will eat anything they can fit into their big mouths, including little flatties. Had it happen before, though they don't always hook up, like yours they just hang on until near the boat.

Sorry guys but to me the Bay has never changed for the last 3 or 4 years. When they destroyed the Bay dredging to extend the container terminal it has never recovered. I hope Im wrong but Im not counting chickens. Rather Fish outside the Bay for a while. Tight Lines I hope :1fishing1:

For those of you that say the bay is dead obviously you have not seen the massive spawning run of blackfish thta have been moving in over the last 3 weeks or so we got 30 plus fish yesterday and all were full of milk and eggs - the Yarra Bay weed beds and the container wall are lousy with big fish at the moment waiting to do thier thing and they are hungry!

Dan,

Big flatties do make a meal of the smaller ones - I've had it happen to me and my son before where we know we've hooked up to a little flattie only to have additional weight and a big fight when we're reeling it in. In both instances, the bigger flattie spat out the smaller one before we could see her and all we got was a smaller flattie with a distinct bite mark on the body.

I'm waiting for the Bay to fire up too - signs are promising ...