Very first kingfish. Finally. Legal too!

TheGinjaNinja

Its a cliche, but i read the fishing reports on fish raider night and day but have hardly ever posted at all. Very pleased to report i caught my first kingfish early on tuesday morning, after beginnibg my chase last summer!

I Woke up at 4.30 after dreaming of fishing through the night! I just had to get down there for a flick. Seas were down to a metre at the bottom of my road in eastern subburbs so i went down to jig for fresh squid at first light. Got one first cast so sent him straight out on a 2 hook snell rig. Snapper lead to the sea floor with metre long trace the hooks sliding freely up and down. Id heard of this technique for kings with yellowtail live so hoped it would work with squid too. Wasnt happy with position but annoyingly lost the squid on my second cast!! :0 Dammit...

Not another squid came to party after that so it was off to lures. Poppers, feathers, stickbaits and metals all got wet but brought no action. Went to plastics and my 2-4kilo rod with 10lb braid and fleuro. Thats what got me my only real bit of tbe day (except for a very keen seargent baker who literally jumped out of the water onto the rocks at my feet, chasing my squid jig which i brought in at high speed the last 5 metres to avoid a snag - classic!).

After a VERY exhilarating 5 mins with 4 distinct runs, up comes my very first kingfish. I got sight of my first known kingie hooked up a week before on the same outfit, drifting unweighted pillies down the cubed up wash further north. I list it that time as i underestimated its last run from the surfaced and it pinged my 10lb leader. Not this time. Stayed focussed with the drag and took my time. In it came, and stayed as it had a de ebt fight and was bang on legal at 65cms!! Well chuffed!!!!

Gorgeously simple sashimi, pan fried fillets, and now fins, head and carcass being reduced for french style bouillabaisse by my lovely lady.

Caught mid tide, 8am ish on 4" gulp jerk shad in nuclear chicken on a 3/0 quarter ounce head in high spirits.

Pics to follow when i work it out!

Btw, i would have been one of the first to see the red algae bloom in the water that morning. Bright bright red. Almost looked like bloody from a whale kill or something crazy. Anyone got any experience on whether this would affect fish consumed aroud this time, or affect the likeliness of catches seeing as it was otherwise really quiet? Too late for me! I ate my fish reasoning that something that had just blown in wouldnt have had the chance to get into that level of the foodchain yet.

Anyhoo... Tight lines people...

Well done mate.

Where were you?? Sounds like you we're off the beach say coogee maybe??

The algae mainly affects shellfish as the toxins are concentrated through their filtering systems, fish shouldn't be a problem but you would know it by now:)

I'm still chasing my first legal kingie, hopefully this summer??