Challenging Blackfish

stormy

Decided to head out early yesterday morning for an hour or so off the rocks. The blackfish have been showing up in greater numbers over the past few weeks and the swell was 1-2ft with SW winds predicted. Got off to a late start after being woken by the channel billed cuckoos in the trees near the bedroom window. Got to the rocks in the RNP, after a 45min walk through the scrub, to find near perfect conditions. I knew it wasn't going to be easy fishing though, with a very small swell and crystal clear water.

Baited with a nice curly streamer of cabbage and got a down within the first sixty seconds. Played out a nice fish of 42cm and had him in the keeper net soon after. Cast out again and the float went down about 10ft before I lifted the rod tip. Missed it and the bait was still there. This scenario was repeated many times in the next couple of hours and I haven't seen them do this for quite a while. I hooked the next five fish and promptly had the hook pull as they were washed up on the ledge or at my feet just prior to the swell lifting them over the lip. I saw that they were all lightly hooked. I changed depths a few times, but found the surest way to set the hook was to leave the float under for AT LEAST 10 seconds before lifting the rod. Lots of fish followed a hooked fish and they were all big. I ended up with 6 in the bag and 7 dropped at my feet. Biggest went just shy of 47cm. They had been feeding on red weed and of course the cabbage I scraped in for burley. Still in full spawning mode, as I saw them tumbling around each other in a big 'ball' of fish. It is going to get better and better as the weeks roll by. I haven't seen a run of fish this big for many years and they are fun on the Avon centrepin and 8lb line. Sorry about the blood in the pic - it was an afterthought to measure the fish.

post-11324-017876400 1354660628_thumb.jpg

post-11324-022207600 1354660636_thumb.jpg

Edited by stormy

Kluas,

Steve and I had the same issue on Sunday. After we moved to the second spot they would have the weed off in seconds.

This was strange for this spot as they normally give a very positive down.

I shortend my trace ( from 1000 to 700)and while I did not get as many bites the downs were more positive.

Leaving for 10 seconds is amazing. I've only had to do this activity in esturies.

Like wise they were full of row and milt. It would be great to see them balling. I've only seen it once.

Thanks for the update,

Geoff

G'day Lads,

your right its a big run of fish the skin divers are reporting schools the size of the SCG out there at the moment. who said they are a winter fish? Puts a lot of the so call theories out the door when you see the fish this thick coming into summer! Like you Klaus bets run of fish i seen since the summer of 95 and 96 when it was nothing to get a 100 fish a session off the Kurnell/Cronulla rocks. Bring it on.

Guest hawkesbass

G'day Lads,

your right its a big run of fish the skin divers are reporting schools the size of the SCG out there at the moment. who said they are a winter fish? Puts a lot of the so call theories out the door when you see the fish this thick coming into summer! Like you Klaus bets run of fish i seen since the summer of 95 and 96 when it was nothing to get a 100 fish a session off the Kurnell/Cronulla rocks. Bring it on.

Still keen for saturday royce?

THat's a great run of fish you are having.

What hooks are you using Stormy ? I usually find that bigger hooks help a lot with the bigger ocean run fish, usually using a no 6 Mustad allrounder. I had a day recently where I was losing a lot or missing downs, changed to the bigger hooks on a hunch and it really made a difference.

Matt

THat's a great run of fish you are having.

What hooks are you using Stormy ? I usually find that bigger hooks help a lot with the bigger ocean run fish, usually using a no 6 Mustad allrounder. I had a day recently where I was losing a lot or missing downs, changed to the bigger hooks on a hunch and it really made a difference.

Matt

I almost always use #6 off the rocks. Started off with Mustad Green Sneck and lost a hook in one fish, so tied on a Daiichi #6. What a great hook, but need pliers to de-hook.

Trevor,

depends on what time I finish up at the work xmas party! But at this stage I'll say yes! stormy must be the old fingers mate never needed pliers on the daichi hooks but always on the old mustad 7958A's!

As geoff and klaus said they are still roed up and full very late and later than last year big schools were seen in Yarra Bay near the old bunnerong cold water intake this week theres substantial weed beds there so my theory is they are heading there t olay and fertilize same probably happening n the Port in places like South West arm and the Rathane shoreline.

Trevor,

depends on what time I finish up at the work xmas party! But at this stage I'll say yes! stormy must be the old fingers mate never needed pliers on the daichi hooks but always on the old mustad 7958A's!

As geoff and klaus said they are still roed up and full very late and later than last year big schools were seen in Yarra Bay near the old bunnerong cold water intake this week theres substantial weed beds there so my theory is they are heading there t olay and fertilize same probably happening n the Port in places like South West arm and the Rathane shoreline.

Who'se got old fingers????? Oh yeah me. I find that when a Mustad hook gets taken right down, a sharp tug on the line will often pull the hook right out. Try that with the Daiichi and it is so sharp, that it will dig in deeper or get a hold elsewhere on its way out, hence the (my) need for pliers in a lot of instances. Got your hooks here Royce so let me know when or how to get them to you.

G'day Lads,

I was under the impression that they run in any month that ends in "R" is that right??

I was under the impression that they run in any month that ends in "R" is that right??

No, that would be crabs.

In Yamba May/June July are the top months and even in the harbour, they are usually good months.

Its funny how everyone has different experiences, I find that my fish are rarely hooked anywhere but the lips, but I reckon that's because I rarley use small hooks, actually I use two hooks most of the time, a number 6 Mustad sneck as the normal hook and the Mustad number 6 all rounder when the fish are larger. Very occasionally I have used no 8 in the sneck and other various makes, but have found that the bigger hooks don't seem to adversely effect the catch rates. I hear of people using number 10 etc and don't quite see how it would help.

Matt