Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished the deep out from Lilli Pilli this morning. 2 jews of 48 and 54cm, and a just legal flounder. Kept the larger jew, as it had swallowed ganged hooks into the stomach, and released the other jew and flounder. Bled the jew straight away, and as I thought, the hooks had cut a hole along the stomach, it would not have survived.

I bought some small school prawns last night and used the shells and heads for burley. The small jew had a mouthful of prawn heads when I unhooked it, must have eaten just about every one I threw in.

Apart from a bite-off from a tailor, and a stack of little reddies, that was it. Not even a yellowtail this morning. Has gone a bit quiet at my usual spots.

Fished out in Bate Bay on Monday morning for 6 not much over legal flatties and 1 nice flounder, but spent a lot of time to find them among the numerous little spiky flatties.

Edited by yowie

Well done yowie bit quite lately got 2 nanagei at south west arm other day bit of a surprise catch hopefully the fishin gets better in next couple of weeks

Are you sure they were Nannygai?? Would be a very unusual capture. More likely Red Bigeye's which do show up in the Hacking some times and are a bit similar. Post Link

R

Nice work, I fish there most times im in the port but never catch anything.

Looks like I have to persist & burley up more!

Had a good day in the port last week with a mate, we caught more than 50 fish in total, none were keepers though :(

Still as long as im getting a bite im happy :)

15 to 20 years ago, I caught a few nannygai in the deep off Lilli Pilli, over 2 years during spring time. They weighed 1 to 1.5 pounds, bigger than any I have caught outside. Have not seen them before of since, but the fillets were of reasonable size compared to the piddly little ones I have caught off Jibbon.

Have caught a few of the fish called Redeye or Bigeye, which is probably the Spotted-fin Glasseye, Pricanthus macracanthus.

Port hacking addiction, have a look at the above name to see if that is the fish you caught.

Dave.

Well done yowie bit quite lately got 2 nanagei at south west arm other day bit of a surprise catch hopefully the fishin gets better in next couple of weeks

The fishing has dropped off as of late, a good drop of rain would help. Also the fishing drops off a bit around this time of year due to increased boat traffic, February/March are good months due to holiday makers back at work. Still, the fish are there if you put in the time.

15 to 20 years ago, I caught a few nannygai in the deep off Lilli Pilli, over 2 years during spring time. They weighed 1 to 1.5 pounds, bigger than any I have caught outside. Have not seen them before of since, but the fillets were of reasonable size compared to the piddly little ones I have caught off Jibbon.

Have caught a few of the fish called Redeye or Bigeye, which is probably the Spotted-fin Glasseye, Pricanthus macracanthus.

Port hacking addiction, have a look at the above name to see if that is the fish you caught.

Dave.

yep thts the 1 thanx for that

A few fish as always dave even if theres not much around :1fishing1:

Well done

Chris.

The legal reddies that I caught a few months ago are not biting where I am fishing, but no shortage of the little ones.

G/Day Yowie

Congrats on your fish. I also fish The Port on Monday With Andrew ( ICEMAN )

First light went out to Mary's Reef Working Plastics hoping for a Snapper

1 Just on Size By Andrew He sent it back , then all we could find was

Sargent Baker in the 2 to 3Kg range Big buggers ....

Made a move back in the port,worked the flats & the deep water off Lilli Pilly

All quite for us.There was Plenty of bait fish around.

Cheers Tom

Saturday in the Hacking saw us plying our skills for squid. 6 in about 4 hours of fishing all different spots from Wally's to Jibbon.

Note to self, need more skills in fishing for squid.

Next step is the down rigger and the illusive kingfish.

The water was crystal clear with little signs of life expect for the stingrays and the jellyfish. Pretty different from this time last year with lots of surface action and warmer water temperatures.