43cm Bream on plastics! - From the yak!

rjc123

Hi Raiders,

Just trying to get used to the new and improved site. Great job Admin, looking really good :clapping:

Headed the other day with the intention of finding a few EP's. Spent the morning peppering all likely snags and with my ol' favourite Z-man Grubz in "Watermelon Red". Picked up a few smallish bream and lost what would have been my first EP at the side of the yak :devil: Much to my dismay not another fish came along for the morning.

This called for a new plan. I've had the bream sussed out lately so headed downstream to a few of my favourite honey holes. Started slow with only the one legal fish of 26cm in the first hour. The tide wasn't quite high enough for this spot to fish well so moved on to another. After only a few minutes, BANG, hit on the drop. A nice 30cm Breambo hits the yak. Good fun keeping him away from the pylons on 3lb and a 1-2kg rod! Not too long after the grubz got monstered again. This fish really tested me out! Almost got me on the pylons at one stage! Leader was badly frayed when i eventually got him in. 33cm of Bream was added to the bag!

With things really heating up, i was able to fish a little more relaxed and focus on what i was doing. Let me tell you, I needed every fibre in my body focused for what happened next!

Made the decision to change colour to bloodworm, a proven big bream colour for me. As the grubz made its way to the base of the pylon, i felt a big bump on my line. The line began moving underneath the pylon so i knew something was up. Whacked him hard and i can honestly say, i thought it was a school jew with the amount of weight and screaming run i experienced next. It took me under the pylon and out the other side. For 5 minutes, i battled this fish, 70% of the rod was in the water while the fish fought from the other side. By some miracle i managed to coax it back under the pylon and before it had the chance to dive back through, netted a cracker of a bream. At this stage i was so glad i had upgraded from 4lb leader to 8lb! I then paddled over to a small beach as fast as possible for a photo shoot of the fish.

Measured up on the brag mat and he went 43cm. Got an approximate weight of 1.2kg from the lip grippers as well. A new lure PB for me! Popped him in the livewell to make a total of 4.

post-14949-0-40762300-1357972654_thumb.jpg

Had an hour to find one more fish and the pylons had shut down. Headed back to a favourite snag, on the first cast, the plastic was chased by a school of nice bream. Of course, the smallest of the lot (27cm) had to take my plastic. There were a few 35+ fish in that school so was a shame in a way. Can't complain though, it completed one of my best bags in a long time!

The bag was, 43, 33, 30, 27, 26. Was great to release them all at the end to fight another day. Hopefully in a few years time, the 43 will be edging closer to the 50 mark. That's my next goal :soccer_h4h:

post-14949-0-26162000-1357972764_thumb.png

Cheers, Tom

Edited by mulloway man

nicee work mate good report bad luck on the e.p you will get one sooner then later

Yeah, they're a tough little fish EP's. I've heard once you crack a few it gets much easier. It'll happen sooner or later...

Very decent bream. I've still yet to get any fish on any artificial bait/lure.

^ EP is short for Estuary Perch.

Yeah, bream aren't an easy starting point. Flatties are pretty easy. They'll take most lures fished with almost any retrieve. Bream require a little bit of finesse at times and can be very hard to fool. The days you see lots of good bream are often the days you don't catch them. They're a smart fish :-rolleyes

What type of jig head do you use in the grubs? Everything I have tried sticks out too far from the body of the SP and I ALWAYS miss hook ups. i get non stop bites but no hook ups.

Could you take a photo of a jighead you use and how you present a grub on it??

What type of jig head do you use in the grubs? Everything I have tried sticks out too far from the body of the SP and I ALWAYS miss hook ups. i get non stop bites but no hook ups.

Could you take a photo of a jighead you use and how you present a grub on it??

Hi mate,

I usually fish a 1/12 TT Tournament Series Jig Head with size 1 hook on my grubz. Does the trick for me. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it up.

Stonker bream mate, she needs a saddle! That is a fantastic bag as well. Unlucky with the EP, but you're right crack a few and they get much easier. Generally a spot with an eddy and some nice structure will hold them, just fish hard for bream there and you should get them.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Hoping to repeat things in the next few days. Need that EP!

Picked up another 37cm bream the other day too. From the same spot. Loving the grubz at the moment!

Cheers, Tom