Got abused on Botany Bay Sunday

Paddy454

I've given up on fishing the mornings or arvos on weekends, even though I work 6 days with Sunday being my only day off, its painful seeing what happens at the ramps, have lost count how many times I see people dropping the boat then waiting right there at the ramp taking up two lanes holding the boat whilst driver parks up... not to mention trying to snake in and jump queue's.

i've had my boat license only a year, but have bred decorum in my DNA since i could speak

its not hard to figure out how to work a boat ramp for optimum efficiency for everyone that wants to use it

i have seen my fare share of ramp hoggers and boat sitters (these boat sitters, appear to spend hours sitting tied to the pontoons or wharf and do nothing at all, excpet taking up precious real estate for the people that wanna depart)

As such i called an early and we launched at 5am, and beat the "googans" (weekend tom foolerys with no idea, taken from wicked tuna show) - and we did beat them, only just by one boat.

Now starting to see an unavoidable trend - now starting to plan 11pm launches and 9am retreives - but now i see an issue with coming back at 9am after a long night, tired - there is no escaping these "googans"

So now i am looking at 4am launches and 4pm retreives - fishing marathons - it really is the way its meant to be done

Edited by kulch

i've had my boat license only a year, but have bred decorum in my DNA since i could speak

its not hard to figure out how to work a boat ramp for optimum efficiency for everyone that wants to use it

i have seen my fare share of ramp hoggers and boat sitters (these boat sitters, appear to spend hours sitting tied to the pontoons or wharf and do nothing at all, excpet taking up precious real estate for the people that wanna depart)

As such i called an early and we launched at 5am, and beat the "googans" (weekend tom foolerys with no idea, taken from wicked tuna show) - and we did beat them, only just by one boat.

Now starting to see an unavoidable trend - now starting to plan 11pm launches and 9am retreives - but now i see an issue with coming back at 9am after a long night, tired - there is no escaping these "googans"

So now i am looking at 4am launches and 4pm retreives - fishing marathons - it really is the way its meant to be done

G'day Kulch,

For years I have ensured I would be out there as often and as early as Dave on the Tuna.com.

I launch alone and often I'm the first one there (but it does help to live 300m from a ramp).

When I return at about 2:00pm or so, I only get the googans on the trip home when I'm not in a huge hurry.

I wait patiently at the entrance (my ramp has a one width car entry before the 3 lanes can be accessed.

If the spot I need is hogged by a googan, I just wait until someone behind me loses their cool and hassles me, whereupon I indicate I'm being held up by said googan.

But I myself, will always keep my cool...

The googans I do encounter that bother me are in fact just like those on the show whereby they drive so close they cut my lines off or drive all over my area scaring the fish away.

When the cooler months come in though, the googans generally disappear but there's always one, isn't there ?

Like some sort of a representative of the collective, even in the depths of winter, they remind us that they shall return when next the summer embraces us...

Tony

Guest Aussie007

fair enough the bloke shouldnt have swore at you but do u actually look around when boating? the broken down boat might have been within a throwing distance signaling for help no mobile, no safety gear ie V sheet, no whistle, no mirror etc.. and u didnt see him if i was in the same position i'd feel a little helpless to

as a skipper your responsible for helping people in desress keep that in mind your excellent morning might turn to crap if u need to spend the next 2 hours towing someone to the ramp but you know you've done a good deed and karma will repay you for it it might not be tomorrow it might not be next week but it'll be that day u break down!

fair enough the bloke shouldnt have swore at you but do u actually look around when boating? the broken down boat might have been within a throwing distance signaling for help no mobile, no safety gear ie V sheet, no whistle, no mirror etc.. and u didnt see him if i was in the same position i'd feel a little helpless to

as a skipper your responsible for helping people in desress keep that in mind your excellent morning might turn to crap if u need to spend the next 2 hours towing someone to the ramp but you know you've done a good deed and karma will repay you for it it might not be tomorrow it might not be next week but it'll be that day u break down!

Gazza,

I am 100% certain as I stated I only just motored from the ramp straight out 1/3 way towards the runway , where as the Moron was towed in from the heads or oil wharf which was a long way away from my movements.

I always look around,it's part of being a responsible skipper and as much as it may ruin your day it is your responsibility to render help when required,that's probably what peeved me the most that I would help a boat in need but got yelled/cursed at for not helping.

I am certain my boat was mistaken for another that may have been in their vicinity.

So not only was this guy a moron,he was a blind moron!

Guest Aussie007

Gazza, I am 100% certain as I stated I only just motored from the ramp straight out 1/3 way towards the runway , where as the Moron was towed in from the heads or oil wharf which was a long way away from my movements. I always look around,it's part of being a responsible skipper and as much as it may ruin your day it is your responsibility to render help when required,that's probably what peeved me the most that I would help a boat in need but got yelled/cursed at for not helping. I am certain my boat was mistaken for another that may have been in their vicinity. So not only was this guy a moron,he was a blind moron!

ok in that case maybe u should have drove up beside of him and asked for an appoligy and saying u only just put your boat in u know verbial abuse is assult these days and people can see them self's in court as i did for a loud mouth mate one time a few years back

Maybe if people got there boats serviced regularly and look after them, then they wouldn't get stuck in the middle of the ocean, when I get out there I want to get the most of my day....

that sounds a bit selfish to me if someone has broken down u should be more than willing to give up your days fishing to help out i guess u dont really care about other peoples boat problems untill u are the one broken down and in desress this can happen to a brand new boat or one as old as a donkey