Nsw water police targeting safety!

shak4g63

Be warned!

Hi guys, just wanted to share my encounter out on the water yesterday, we had a slow day fishing bagging only one decent leather jacket 40cm and a 28 cm bream with hordes of pinkie snapper etc stealing our baits, so we decided to park under gladesville bridge and flick some sps etc,

I own a small 12 ft quintrex with a 6 hp Johnson, there would have been about 3-4 boats with other fishers nearby. The big intimidating water police boat spotted us and came straight over with lights flashing, now I am one, not to break the law. However we were the smallest boat there and hence stood out to them they had a big boom mike and told us we were being recorded and filmed. As we have a small craft it is the law to ensure our life jackets be worn at all times, now our life jackets were at our feet and being a small boat it really makes fishing difficult with our bulky jackets to be worn at all times. Anyway we were issued with $100 infringement each, there is no warnings for this offense automatic fine and given these water proof phone holders with lanyards! Any way copped it on the chin and I wasn't letting a fine ruin a great day in the harbour.

So anyone with small boats please be careful out there.

Has anyone got suggestions for slim fit life jackets which don't need to be inflated, (as I'm not the best swimmer and just in case one doesn't inflate I'm screwed!) Around the $150 mark! This is a serious thing I guess which I need to get rectified and enjoy more fishing!

Tight lines,

Shakeel

If there is 2 or more adults on board you don't have to wear the jacket just have one each in the boat. That rule was passed Nov 1 2010. I would not be paying the fine until you check out the rules, if they have changed then I will be getting fined as we never wear jackets on our 4m tinny when fishing 2 out! It doesn't really matter how good a swimmer you are there is always the chance that you will hit your head, get a cramp or something when you go over. I regards myself as a good swimmer and I always wear a jacket when alone. Regards Jeff

If there is 2 or more adults on board you don't have to wear the jacket just have one each in the boat. That rule was passed Nov 1 2010. I would not be paying the fine until you check out the rules, if they have changed then I will be getting fined as we never wear jackets on our 4m tinny when fishing 2 out! It doesn't really matter how good a swimmer you are there is always the chance that you will hit your head, get a cramp or something when you go over. I regards myself as a good swimmer and I always wear a jacket when alone. Regards Jeff

Thats how I understand it as well, If there is two adults onboard they do not need to be worn at all times.

If you need a good life jacket, get the self inflating ones. They are thin and great for fishing. Just remember to write the date of purchase on the inside of the life jacket. The seller will show you and explain what you need to do each year. The cost ranges from 80 buck to 200. And as for the water police they should know better, I would be ringing them and asking why you should be paying and quoting the offense notice number. With luck the officer will be reprimanded for being over zealous.

as far as i know you only need to wear PFD's if

You are solo, period stop right there, by yourself, get one on

You are outside in open waters and your boat is less then 4.6m in length

I'd challenge this fine or atleast get clarification

I have a small 4.3m boat - i got a warning a few months back for being outside the heads without them on..........i now where a PFD and only yesterday had the police drive past, and ignore me outside the heads

Edited by kulch

as far as i know you only need to wear PFD's if

You are solo, period stop right there, by yourself, get one on

You are outside in open waters and your boat is less then 4.6m in length

I'd challenge this fine or atleast get clarification

I have a small 4.3m boat - i got a warning a few months back for being outside the heads without them on..........i now where a PFD and only yesterday had the police drive past, and ignore me outside the heads

Same thing happened to me. I was in open water in Bate Bay and copped a warning from the MSB - fair enough, I'd drifted over the line between Jibbon Point and that big white pole at Oak Park.

If there was more than one person in your boat then you were fined without just cause. Fair enough if you just want to pay the fine and be done with it, but if it were up to me I'd raise hell. The Water Police have a tough job, but there no cause to be fining people who are doing the right thing.

At night as well if in a boat less than 4.85 mts and on alpine lakes

Reading the hand book again I think your right swordie, we ( my fishing partner & i) were fishing just after sunset, hence fishing at night, so I'm required to wear them when it's dark and not required when out in daylight!

Bloody confusing I'll just get a life jacket.

Well they said they will send the fines in the mail

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Edited by 1 last cast

It's bloody confusing. Why in hell would you be required to wear a life jacket when anchored up of a night . That's how it reads to me and I bet some msb/police will read it that way as well. You said they said they were recording the whole thing, don't be surprised if it's not to do with their new found tv star status. They all think their movie stars now. Lets hope they get back to policing the idiots who break the rules and there's plenty of them.

Regards Jeff

The rules are simple.

If alone anytime in a boat under 4.85 mtrs you must wear a life jacket

If it is before sunrise or after sunset everyone on board must wear a lifejacket in a vessel smaller than 4.85mt

Alpine waters the life jacket must be worn at all times in a vessel of 4.85 mts or less.

SIMPLE wear a life jacket and you wont have any dramas and you just may save your own life one day !!!

It's bloody confusing. Why in hell would you be required to wear a life jacket when anchored up of a night .

Regards Jeff

Because some other fool will be hooning along and ram into you and you will thank your lucky stars you have a jacket on if you get knocked unconscious.

Regards Stewy

i think the confusion reigns because there is not a blanket rule

if you boat is x big, or if you have x people on board, or if you went out at x time or if you are x range from the shore

its a mess and typical of australian regulations - blanket rule should suffice

just wear them - get the inflatables - they are fine to wear (unless its 30+ degrees of course)

Edited by kulch

Hi Guys

I had a accident a couple of years back,lost my boat on long reef scared the s--t out of me and cost a fortune,I was lucky and caught my life jacket as it passed me,since then I'm back on the water in a 4.1 centre console tinnie,with areofloats on each side and wear my life jacket(slim one) all the time, and like car seat belts, feels strange not having it on, so wear one anyway and be safer,now i sometimes forget its on and start to drive home with it still on,

now our life jackets were at our feet and being a small boat it really makes fishing difficult with our bulky jackets to be worn at all times. (as I'm not the best swimmer and just in case one doesn't inflate I'm screwed!)

This is a serious thing I guess which I need to get rectified and enjoy more fishing!Tight lines,Shakeel

No offence mate but if you aren't a very good swimmer you should wear one all the time. Its not going to do any good sitting on the floor of your boat when you capsize and all of a sudden your in the water. The reason the rules are there and are enforced is to prevent accidents becoming tragedys.

If you can afford a boat and to go fishing and you find regular PFDs too bulky, you can afford to buy one that suits your needs. No fish is worth a life and Im sure your friends and family would feel the same way.

I consider myself a very competent swimmer but even I don't wear shoes on the boat if possible because it's a hell of alot easier to swim without them. When I was in scouts we had to swim

50m out into the bay fully clothed with shoes one and tread water for 10 mins then swim back, if you cant do that then you definately need to wear one at all times. Sorry to tell you off but sounds like the fine was justified for your own safety