Polarised Sunglasses

SargeRX8

Hey all,

Well this topic I'm starting is in relation to a pair of polarized sunglasses I bought. Before buying them I looked at the range and they went from say $10 all the way to $300+ I didn't have much to spend and after looking at a bunch of youtube videos and pictures of comparisons I went for a pair of Fuglies which Ive read some good things about and they were pretty cheap. I bought them in smoke with pale gold mirror.

I took them fishing a few times and find my self never using them as they don't seem to do anything. I put them on and the everything goes a little darker but refractions don't seem to be cut down. There is a small portion, maybe 20% of the field of view which seems to have more effect but more or less, they almost feel useless. I went to the shops to try on an expensive pair but how on earth do I see if they work in the real world situation.

Ive seen alot of pictures of comparisons and I would like to believe what they claim to do but most of what Ive seen seems exaggerated. e.g theres a picture of someone looking at a glass window of a building and you can see a big reflection from the light and a mirrored surface. Then they show a polarized version and they can see through the glass, as if there is nearly no reflection at all.

Do I need to wear and adjust to them or are these cheaper pairs no comparison to a more expensive pair.

Edited by SargeRX8

Save your $$$$ and get yourself a pair of Costa's I think i paid $350 at a popular fishing store in the central coast ...haven't looked back since ! And I do a lot if driving for work so I use them as everyday sunnies too work a treat !

Mate I wear spotters polarized sunnies all the time as I reckon they do a really good job of cutting out the glare and allowing me to see into the water. They are a little expensive though..

A few months back I left before sunrise with boat in tow and it wasn't until I was on the water and the sun was coming up that I realised I had forgotten them!! I tried to put up with it but by 8.30 I couldn't take it any longer. Luckily for me there is a tackle store around the corner from the boat ramp at this particular estuary so I asked an old bloke to watch me boat whilst I ducked around the corner. I went inside and found a cheap pair, (not sure of name as I have lost em now) $45 from memory and headed back fishing.

I could instantly tell that they were not as good as the spotters.. All they really did was darken the area a little and remove a very small amount of glare.. So in my opinion It's like most things really.. U pay for quality

Hi Mate, I usually just get a $30 pair of the Ariel brand from any servo.

They work great, I'm usually spotting Trout which can be very tricky given the light situations on any given day.

That said, my next pair will be a pair Spotters.

Great polarized sunnies, and for under $150, good value.

Although $30 is hard to beat, especially when you don't have to worry about scratching them up!

Maybe there was something wrong with the pair that you had! The polarisation makes a huge difference in being able to see the shallows & sand spits, particularly in estuaries, where it is easy to run aground in a boat if you are not familiar with the channels.

They don't work well in muddy or dark water - the clearer the water, the better - they also cut the reflected sun glare off the water. They are worth their weight in gold ........ but I hate paying big bucks if you don't have to!

I've had expensive glass polarised sunnies & find them to be too heavy for my liking. I've accidentally knocked others off into the water & lost them, so now make sure I have them held on with a strap.

These days, I just go to a chemist & get a pair of 'fitover' style polaroids for about $10. So long as you wash them carefully after each outing and dry them with a soft cloth (making sure there is no sand on the lens to scratch them .....) they last for ages. Being off the face a bit (because of the fit over style), they don't fog up either. When choosing a pair, I also make sure that the 'ear piece' sections (at the end) don't actually touch the inside of the lens - otherwise they will scratch the inside too!

Make sure they are not too snug along the side of your face. They can cause a real headache after a long day on the water if they are!

If you need prescription glasses, the Fitover Style just fit straight over your regular glasses, making them into polarised ones! Too Easy!

Yep cheep ones do the trick for me, I also bought Fugglies on line found them very uncomfortable, less then a month after getting the Fugglies I was told to try "dirty dog" brand I ended up buying 3 pair for $25 or $30 in the shopping complex at Homebush that has all the name brand Clarence shops. (can't think of complex name).

Brett

Hi all heres a little trick to see if the sunnies are really polarised or not .When in the store grab 2 pairs of the same model you are looking at buying.put 1 pair on your face and look out into the street. Holding the other pair in front of the pair on your face, turn the pair you are holding 90 degrees to the pair on your face and look through both pairs.You should not be able to see any light penetrating through the lens of the pair you are holding, if you can see any light at all the polarising filter is not working properly.Some cheaper sunnies may have polarised lenses and will do a fine job of cutting out the glare but usually have plastic lenses which can distort the vision and produce eye strain in some people if used for extended periods. cheers troutboy

Its a two sided situation here, some swear by saving up and buying the better brand while others get away with the cheaper pairs. Ive read that other thread Hodgey posted up and it seems fuglies perform quite well. I did some testing of my own just now and I think I have a pair of faulty sunglasses.

Ive uploaded a test video on Youtube for you to watch:

http://youtu.be/Un9UoxOLymg (video will be live shortly)

What I did was look at the reflection on the window outside mine and you can see this in the video. I then put the glasses infront of the camera and start rotating it 90 degrees then back. Moving the glasses out of the way so you can see the reflection then putting them infront of it again. From conclusion it seems the glasses only work when at 90 degrees. Did I get a dodgey pair? Even when I am wearing them on my head looking at the window like normal it looks like no difference, merely some shading out. When I turn my neck 90 degrees I can see almost perfectly past the glare and it looks exactly how I want them to be. I have no reason to supporting that these glasses are not faulty. It seems the polarized film might have been applied the wrong way and this can confirm why I started the thread and the glasses not working.

Anybody able to confirm with me that these are in fact faulty? I can't go fishing standing there with my head tilted at 90 degrees...

Just saw the vid - I think you could see more than I could tho it did look like they went black after being turned 90 degrees ........ but from your description - it sounds like the lens may have been put in sideways (if that is possible!) I am assuming that the test where you hold one set at 90 degrees to the other (and them going black and impossible to see thru, where they overlap - a method I have used for many years) would indicate that there IS a right way for them to be mounted.

Definitely take them back if you can for a replacement pair.

If you don't get any joy from the retailer you bought them from, contact Fuglies direct - I am sure they would put you right, specially if the vid shows there is a problem.

Roberta

I just rotated 2 pairs of mine & they stayed 'clear' at all angles.

Edited by Roberta

Hey Roberta thanks for your reply.

Although it is very hard to see in the video(the fly mesh gets in the way), when the sunnies are turned 90 degrees you can still see through them. They don't get any darker than wearing them in the normal way but the polarized effect only kicks in(behind the window is dark too so its hard to see the blinds behind there) and you can see the blinds on the other side perfectly.

Ive read that polarized sunglasses are a special film either on the plastic or inbetween layers of plastic so there is a chance they're the wrong way. Ive sent Fuglies an email(I bought them off their site) with the video and will wait for their response.

If they decide not to do anything, which isn't likely, I'll be getting a pair of spotters or costas in the new real tree frame!

get Spotters most shapes hold to yr head snugly (they wont just drop off when you lean over the side of boat ) there quite tough , ive had mine for almost 3 yrs i where them everyday ,in car ,fishing ,theyve peeled a little off the nose piece but best sunnies for price by far , massive amount of colours and frames , and you shouldnt pay anymore then $260 for them

obviously you could pay near 1k for carbon oakleys. best to find a outlet and try plenty of types on ive got the white coyote frames with smoke lense,blue mirror.

I just ordered a pair of Otis Prague, Polarised with Photochromic (also known as transition) glass lenses for $50 delivered.

I'll let ya know how they are once they arrive, or you can just grab a pair.

Had to upgrade my ol faithful el Cheapo Dirty Dog plastic ones as they were scratched beyond use :D

If you're just looking for a pair of poloarized fishing glasses the best bet is to grab a second hand pair of Maui Jims off ebay/gumtree.

I wouldn't drop $300 on a pair of glasses and take them fishing.