North Coast Lizards, Bass and Kings

brendong

Have just come back from the annual family holiday in Nambucca Heads, fantastic weather unlike the last couple of years, waking up to a view like this every day is easy to do.

post-4925-0-16332600-1359196370_thumb.jpg

We have annual family finishing comp, this year my mum took it out with an 86 cm lizard which was returned to fight another day after a few pics. She now has a bigger PB than me...I'm a big plastics fan, so I did cop a bit of ribbing as it came on a nipper. Well that's not quite right, her nipper was eaten by a 30 cm flathead which was eaten by this big girl. The kids section was taken out by Jake a family friend with a 34 cm blackfish also taken on a nipper.

post-4925-0-86410200-1359196757_thumb.jpg

Here are the winners and trophy's.

post-4925-0-62837500-1359199273_thumb.jpg

We did fairly well throughout the 2 weeks, whiting on poppers, lizards on plastics, bream in the racks on poppers. No real big lizards other than the 86 though.

We actually went a few bass trips, the first in the Nambucca river as far a we could go but it was still quite salty, so salty in fact that Coyote got a 59cm lizard on spinner bait and a little later a small Jew on spinner bait....we were absolutely stunned.

post-4925-0-57309400-1359197182.jpg

post-4925-0-99278000-1359197207.jpg

I did manage one bass on a popper that trip went 32. But a massive mixed bag for an intended bass session a sure sign of the amount of salt in the reaches.

post-4925-0-74959900-1359197306.jpg

post-4925-0-58548400-1359199345.jpg

Bass trip no. 2 we trekked down to Kempsey to give the Macleay a nudge. Better session this time with 14 bass most coming off the surface the best going 44 cm to Coyote.

post-4925-0-73901300-1359197620.jpg

Bass trip 3 and we went up one of the other Nambucca tributaries. Though session still a little salty but I managed a 36 cm and the a 47 cm bass (my new PB). Both coming off the surface with explosive strikes fishing the silly 4lb braid and 8lb leader, how they both didn't dust me is a miracle. NW pencils doing the damage on both fish.

Here are a couple of the shots of the PB.

post-4925-0-29216000-1359198355_thumb.jpg

post-4925-0-07474300-1359198556.jpg

post-4925-0-96091000-1359198695.jpg

post-4925-0-93477200-1359198791.jpg

A few other notable catches were coyotes king near the break wall on 4lb, took him 30 mins to get it in and he had to call his dad who was up the river to came and drive he boat for him while he battled the fish.

post-4925-0-38059400-1359198916.jpg

We had a couple estuary cod turn up which were fun on light gear and put straight back.

post-4925-0-87693300-1359199071_thumb.jpg

Bream on poppers were fun in the racks.

post-4925-0-72148500-1359199113.jpg

And it would seem that not even the Nambucca break wall can avoid "The Gangnam Style".

post-4925-0-65798500-1359199197_thumb.jpg

So that's about it, great weather, hanging out with the family for a couple of weeks and with some good fish to be had too it was an excellent holiday. Back to the grind on Tuesday.

Tight lines Raiders.

Sounds like you had an awesome time, mate that bass is a monster must have been fun! You have taken some Awesome pics there.

We always stop at numbucca heads on the the way to Qld when we drive upto Sydney, what a beautiful place

Tight lines,

Shakeel

Hey poddy trapper sounds like u all had a great time and caught some cracking fish good to c your comp gets the whole family involved to and it's funny you say that the big flatty ate the smaller one my mate was at lake Mac through Chrissy and sent me this pic of a flathead he caught on soft plastic he was winding the little one in when he got hit again zoom in on the flatys mouthpost-15740-135923327024_thumb.jpg

Nice work poddy! Gotta love those explosive bass strikes, I can't stop looking at the size of that bass, awesome result and congrats on the PB! Interesting by catch on the spinnerbaits too, might have to try some big cod ones down here, could be the next big thing

Nice work poddy! Gotta love those explosive bass strikes, I can't stop looking at the size of that bass, awesome result and congrats on the PB! Interesting by catch on the spinnerbaits too, might have to try some big cod ones down here, could be the next big thing

I'm badly missing wacking those bass now that I'm back at work. Funnily enough the river would be totally unfishable due to the sheer volume of rain. Glad I snuck in before.

Still can't believe we managered a cracker flat and Jew on spinner, we don't fish them very often other than the dams for bass and Goldens.

I suppose an ep would hit them too?

Thanks for all the other comments, we had a great time and you just can't beat family holidays mixed in with some solid fish.

I'm badly missing wacking those bass now that I'm back at work. Funnily enough the river would be totally unfishable due to the sheer volume of rain. Glad I snuck in before.

I suppose an ep would hit them too?.

It's the same for the nepean at the moment, I am hoping it clears up by the weekend! I need my bass fix!

Honestly haven't tried the spinnerbait for EPs and haven't even really thought about it, but it does give me an idea especially around some of the rock walls in the George's where I know EPs hide.

AWESOME holiday, Brendon! Congrats on your Mum's PB Flattie - HUGE Momma! And also on your magnificent PB Bass!!

You chose the right dates, too, being home by Australia Day!! I think the rivers will be running high & dirty right now!!

Great reports, lovely pics (LOVE that first one!)

I love Nambucca - we always stop there on the way north for our 'first night out' ...... and I will spend a week there some time soon, I reckon, once my shoulder has recovered.

Roberta

You chose the right dates, too, being home by Australia Day!! I think the rivers will be running high & dirty right now!!

I love Nambucca - we always stop there on the way north for our 'first night out' ...... and I will spend a week there some time soon, I reckon, once my shoulder has recovered.

Roberta

Definitely choose the right dates mum and dad stayed this week too. Said the river has looked like a owl of coco pops, Thursday was the first day they saw the blue was pushing back up the river.

Great spot up there...if you spend some time up there and want to target bass just PM me.

Hodgey it was great to see mum take the trophy, she smiling lke a Cheshire Cat when got her hands on it.

Can't wait to get back there next year.

I had an interesting experince with flathead in jervis bay. I caught a small pinky and two flathead followed it up from the bottom. One turned away about a meter under the surface but the other came right to the top. Obviously it was going to eat the small snapper. My son was with me and grabbed the net and bagged the flattie. The snapper went back as it was under size but kept the flattie at 38cm. Son gave me a hard time about being a better fisherman than me as he didnt need to use bait or. lures. Was an awesome sight to see them both follow the same fish trying to eat it.