Report from the Bay - 14/02

quintrex480

Haven't been out to the bay for a while and hoping the time away has allowed the big kings to show up. Got onto the water at 9:30, first stop, yakka's, got a tank full in no time.

Second stop squid grounds, but decided to sound out channel markers on the way, and I am pretty sure they were kings (some fairly big ones as well, picture attached), so put down a yakka but no interest was taken, if only I had some squid!!!!

So off to get some, which was almost as easy as scoopong up prawns from windang got a tank full in 30 mins, enough for kings and a feed, so I left them biting :D .

2.5g Yamashita in orange and just some advice to anyone who wants to take it. The base colour of the jig is paramount when squidding. I had 2 rods out, both with 2.5g orange, but one was rainbow base and the other was gold. The gold didn't even get a touch, whilst the poor rainbow base ended up like it's been on the battlefield. So the tip here is, have a range of jig colours but also have them in different bases as well.

Off to DR some of these squid for kings, some really good showings but the squid kept on getting smashed by pickers (later found out to be jackets!!! :ranting2: :ranting2: ). I am fairly sure if the squid could stay on the hook long enough, the kings would have a chance. Did manage to get 2 rats though, left enough squid to make rings for the kids.

Water temp 22.

post-16665-0-01922400-1360886169_thumb.jpg

post-16665-0-95087200-1360886180_thumb.jpg

Edited by quintrex480

Good effort mate.

I Went out on Thursday morning sounded nothing. Caught several throw backs, Went out off Bondi, the sounder looked like the Sahara.

Returned under Capt. Cooks bridge and caught 1 BIG BREAM!

Go figure

No yakkas :mad3: No Squid. :mad3: 1 Bream :sun:

Always next time I suppose :chair:

Dam leather Jackets, they are the size of a yakka and they eat and school up like a PIHRANA. Lower a bait down first and slowley wind it up to check if the jackets are under you. The squid are on the chew with the sephia in pure white being my favorite at the moment.

Hey buddy great effort! Wher a outs in the bay did u get the yakkas and squid?

pm sent

Where abouts did ya get the squid mate, bare island? Aslo were you drifting or casting? Gonna have a crack tomorrow

pm sent as well

Nice looking squid.

Im looking to get out tomorrow afternoon. Might skip squid and yakkas and throw some sluggos around, I'll let you know if that wakes them up.

yes, definitely give them sluggos a go! I would have done the same but didn't have them on me.

Good effort mate.

I Went out on Thursday morning sounded nothing. Caught several throw backs, Went out off Bondi, the sounder looked like the Sahara.

Returned under Capt. Cooks bridge and caught 1 BIG BREAM!

Go figure

No yakkas :mad3: No Squid. :mad3: 1 Bream :sun:

Always next time I suppose :chair:

hey mate! too bad about Thursday and yes there is always next time.

nice work there

should have scooped those squid coming through the channel too at windang

saw a few

wow! squid pass through as well? I need to keep a better look out next time I am down there.

Dam leather Jackets, they are the size of a yakka and they eat and school up like a PIHRANA. Lower a bait down first and slowley wind it up to check if the jackets are under you. The squid are on the chew with the sephia in pure white being my favorite at the moment.

oh man! I got a diver mate who tells me he never ever sees anything take a jacket. No wonder why there are so many of them! as for a pihrana like behaviour, we put down a decent size yakka, brought it up a couple of minutes later, and I swear you not, all that came up was the skull and the back bone. Every little bit of flesh was eaten!!! couldn't believe it.

Edited by quintrex480

Nice Squid, I hope we hear more king reports in the next couple of weeks, this year has been extremley slow on the kings, not sure why they are not in mass or on the bite as much.

Your right about those jackets i was fishing sydney harbour a couple of days ago and had the usual small snapper bites and as sometimes they eat and sit there and notice them on the line when reeling to check the bait. I had 4 small snapper came up dead, with no eyes and pieces missing of them.

Those look like kings mate.. Good mixture of squids there..some stonkers and some tiny shit, perfect for DR.

Similar story for me too.. Cant get those little shitters easily in winter,

You guys never throw back! that's why the rest of us find it hard to get some..

Hi Quintrex480

Some nice echos on the sounder. definitly kings.

Pity about the jackets. They dont give you a chance. We got squid and yakkas no problems as well on sat, headed out to the peak. some good arces on the sounder to but as soon as you drop the livebait down it raveged by jackets!

Hi Quintrex480

Some nice echos on the sounder. definitly kings.

Pity about the jackets. They dont give you a chance. We got squid and yakkas no problems as well on sat, headed out to the peak. some good arces on the sounder to but as soon as you drop the livebait down it raveged by jackets!

hey Bluefin, you don't know how glad I am to hear that I am not the only one that is suffering from jacket-ni-tis!! hehehe I was starting to think that someone had attached a jacket magnet to the bottom of me boat!! :D