DEFINITELY my last trip out on the water for a while! PROMISE!

arpie

Hi guys

Well ........ after my outing on Australia Day with Michelle, where she caught that whopper flattie on a bright yellow Sammy ...... I swore NOT to go out again til after I had had the shoulder surgery (which is on Monday ......) then just before the weather went Belly Up, I heard from a yakking buddy who was up from Wagga & she was keen to learn how to do Topwater!!

I met up with her at the Marina, thinking that I could just show her the basics without doing much casting myself ....... and as I went thru the motions of showing her - I realised that I really didn't use my shoulder very much in my cast at all ........ I use a fair amount of 'wrist' to give it that final 'flick' to cast the lure!! I was amazed at how far I was getting my Sammy to go (admittedly with the wind on my back! :D)

I loaned Briana my rod so that she could see what a 'real' rod is like to cast - hers were probably 20 years old & set up for cod fishing! First cast & retrieve & she lands a pike! She was stoked!

post-2231-0-77383200-1361577017_thumb.jpg

SO ...... I broke my own rule & suggested that we meet up on the lake the next morning & have a go for flatties & bream on the shallows, so that she could improve her technique!

I arrived before Briana & headed up the Channel & chucked a yellow Sammy at a likely jetty ..... and it went UNDER the jetty to the 2nd lot of poles & was immediately being smacked at by a bream!! AAaaaggh! Brand New Sammy & I was about to lose it!! I teased it away from the pole, with the bream smacking at it all the way!! Finally it was out in the open & I loaded the rod up & brought it to the yak!

post-2231-0-64651300-1361577109_thumb.jpg

It went 32cm - a nice fat breambo!

post-2231-0-90916000-1361577221_thumb.jpg

By now, Briana had arrived in her Blue Hobie Sport ...... she has only had it for a few months & loves it to bits!

post-2231-0-50312300-1361577283_thumb.jpg

We headed to the flats & started casting for bream & flatties - and pretty soon I was onto a nice whiting! It put up a good fight! Briana was staying with her Dad, so into the 'dinner bag' it went! :D

post-2231-0-93492900-1361577358_thumb.jpg

Another long searching wind assisted cast - and a better fish jumped on - this one I was hoping was a bream or flattie as it took some line! BOY! Did IT want that SAMMY!?? It was only the front hook that stopped it swallowing it whole - it was well & truly HOOKED (on BOTH hooks!) This one went into the bag, too!

post-2231-0-28100200-1361577464_thumb.jpg

Briana was having a slow time of it, unfortunately, not hooking anything, but was at least getting lots of bloops & follows ...... just a matter of time til she hooks up on a more regular basis, I reckon!

In my haste to get onto the water - I'd forgotten to put my gloves on - so was in for a sunburnt hands day ........ then I unpicked some of the seam on the shirt sleeve - VOILA! Make Do Gloves to protect the back of my hands! :)

post-2231-0-26086100-1361577664_thumb.jpg

A couple more 'small' breambos (emphasis on SMALL!) and that was it for the day.

post-2231-0-91868500-1361577748_thumb.jpg

This one wasn't much bigger than the lure!!

post-2231-0-38969200-1361577761_thumb.jpg

I had a fun day on the water with a new buddy - even tho I paid for it that night with - you guessed it, a sore shoulder!!! :( I reckon it was worth it! :whistling:

So that's it from me for a while! I am hoping I will only be off the water for a few weeks, for the shoulder to rehabilitate - and the bream should be jumping out of the water for Topwater lures by the time I get back out - so watch out, Breambos!!

Cheerio

Roberta

That whiting didn't waste anytime trying to swallow that lure. Nice fat looking bream, sounded like a great little battle :thumbup:

Good luck with the surgery and we will be seeing more reports in no time.

:064: yellow lures need to be added to my already growing collection of lures!

.... :064: yellow lures need to be added to my already growing collection of lures!.....

Absolutely, specially when targetting the flats in Forster! Some of the biggest fish caught in ABT history have been caught on them, here!! Even the BIG lures like Dog-x's!!

I cast one of those & the first time, it landed in a tree ....... and it is still there!! Instead of just winding in to the tree to grab it with my lure retriever, I jerked it a few times & the braid busted! Even tho I pedalled over immediately - WIth 3 of us looking EXACTLY where it landed, we never DID find it! :( $30+ GORN!! It was yellow & the mangrove trees all had yellowing leaves!~ :ranting2: I went back a few times, even 'looking for the braid' as it would have been trailing some ...... still no joy!! REALLY ANNOYED!! :mad3: Never bothered replacing it! THey cast a MILE, tho as they are very aerodynamic & heavier than the sammy!

Oh Roberta will us anglers ever learn! Hope the rest up before your surgery goes well and there is a short recovery period.

Nice way to end your break with some good whiting and breambos there. Sometimes you wonder what the Sammy's don't catch, I too often find myself fishing for koalas while on the bass. On the up side I can fish both sides of the river with them.

Thanks guys! Cooking up plenty of casseroles & Spaghetti Bolognaise so at least the first week's meals are taken care of ......... then, if it is up to Keith to do the cooking, we could be doing take aways! :074:

....Oh Roberta will us anglers ever learn!.... Yep - shouldn't have done it, in hindsight, but bloody enjoyed it at the time!! :D

Head down to Lake Macquarie first thing tomorrow morning & have the procedure in the afternoon, so will be out of contact for a couple of days at least - and then tapping with only one hand when back home again on Tues, if up to it. :(

Get out there & catch some on my behalf! :)

Cheers

Roberta

• 1 month later...

Many Thanks, Mrs Groper!

If you ever get the chance, give yak fishing a go! It is SO much FUN! Let me know if you ever get up to Forster - once my shoulder is OK - I could take you out in my spare yak! :D

The shoulder is slowly recovering (it has been 4 weeks now) but it is still painful & has limited range of motion - and the whole arm is very weak as he had to cut out some of my bicep muscle as well. :( I'll have to work on getting the strength back when the surgeon says I can do 'weights' again! (Hopefully pulling in fish!) LOL

I am still hoping to get to Wilderness Island at the end of May, so must be dilligent in my exercises!! :brucelee: THIS is the only exercise I enjoy! :1fishing1:

Cheers

Roberta

Many Thanks, Mrs Groper!

If you ever get the chance, give yak fishing a go! It is SO much FUN! Let me know if you ever get up to Forster - once my shoulder is OK - I could take you out in my spare yak! :D

The shoulder is slowly recovering (it has been 4 weeks now) but it is still painful & has limited range of motion - and the whole arm is very weak as he had to cut out some of my bicep muscle as well. :( I'll have to work on getting the strength back when the surgeon says I can do 'weights' again! (Hopefully pulling in fish!) LOL

I am still hoping to get to Wilderness Island at the end of May, so must be dilligent in my exercises!! :brucelee: THIS is the only exercise I enjoy! :1fishing1:

Cheers

Roberta

Thank you Roberta, if we get a chance to visit my good friend Donna from Nabiac I will give you a call :)