hookerbruce

Hi

Went to a mates place for dinner on sat night and he had some big slabs of yellowfin in his fridge.

I didn't believe where it came from at first till I got the full story.

His brother in law and nephew were rebuilding the rock retaining wall at the back of their waterfront property backing on to Gymea bay/North west arm. Noticed a large disturbance in the water and saw what they thought was a shark up in the shallows with birds around it etc. On closer inspection decided it was a fish of some sort so ran into the water and managed to grab hold of the fish and hold on until a neighbour gave them help to drag it up onto shore.

Turned out to be a yellow fin which had a head injury hence the reason for it being able to be caught by hand. they estimated it was over 30kg and it cooked up very well.

So next time your fishing Port hacking and hook something huge just think maybe a yellowfin.

Bruce

just be careful

a lot of fish come into the brackish waters to rid themselves of parasites that can only live and thrive in salt water

at the end of the day, would you eat a fish that was washed up on the beach even if it were still kicking? :puke:

just be careful

a lot of fish come into the brackish waters to rid themselves of parasites that can only live and thrive in salt water

at the end of the day, would you eat a fish that was washed up on the beach even if it were still kicking? :puke:

Depends on the type of injury/condition of the fish. If it looks a bit like fungus, would not eat. If it was missing a tail that looks like it was bitten off by a bigger fish, yes would eat it.

A couple of times have caught John Dory by hand in shallow water. They will turn side on, then swim into shallow water to eat small fish, then cannot swim backwards so start splashing about. A free feed.

2 seasons ago i was up Gymea bay and while driving around the corner i saw this big fish foating. At 1st i thought it was rubbish but on closer inspection is was a nice big phat king. It turned around and grabbed it with the net. It went 110cm but stunk so back overboard it went!!! Still the biggist king ive caught til this day! :nono:

Edited by one armed fisho

2 seasons ago i was up Gymea bay and while driving around the corner i saw this big fish foating. At 1st i thought it was rubbish but on closer inspection is was a nice big phat king. It turned around and grabbed it with the net. It went 110cm but stunk so back overboard it went!!! Still the biggist king ive caught til this day! :nono:

hey mate i saw thesame king ur talking bout got a pic of it and it stunk bad

hey mate i saw thesame king ur talking bout got a pic of it and it stunk bad

It stunk alright!

Have you got any of those Jewies i told you about?!?

yeah mate got a few now round the 65cm mark a few kings about lately also maybe the yellowfin come in to chase the sardines. The last 7 weeks there's been sardines everywhere