Coast guard App

Scratchie

Was watching tv today as there was no fishing to be done and I seen an App for iPhone, not sure android, but you can log in and off on your phone and the coast guard can track you via satellite.

The App can be found in the App Store under coast guard and its free. Even if you forget to check back in they can track you home. Might be helpful to some!!

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I used the system on the weekend as a test. It worked well then I rang VMR Jervis Bay to enquire if they had seen my log on and I was surprised they hadn't, but don't panic.

I emailed Coast Guard to enquire who was tracking our movements. Whilst the local VMR may not have seen our log on we were certainly being monitored by Coast Guard. Their reply included a screen shot from their file of our track and our emergency contact information. Their reply even included an estimate of cost per trip after the trial of 20 cents, I think a fair price for piece of mind even at double its still cheap.

System gets a thumbs up from me.

• 4 weeks later...

Today we used the app for out trip from JB to Greenwell Point. Attached is the download of out trip from the website, works well, certainly recommended.

On a side note

If anyone is familiar with the area, what is with the current as you round Beecroft Head.

It looked like either the outgoing tide or the EAC was running out of the gap between the headland and the Banks. Each time we have passed prior we have been wide so haven't seen it, today it was a washing machine.

Is it always like that as I was taken by surprise.

post-6888-0-12704300-1365325498_thumb.jpg

Today we used the app for out trip from JB to Greenwell Point. Attached is the download of out trip from the website, works well, certainly recommended.

On a side note

If anyone is familiar with the area, what is with the current as you round Beecroft Head.

It looked like either the outgoing tide or the EAC was running out of the gap between the headland and the Banks. Each time we have passed prior we have been wide so haven't seen it, today it was a washing machine.

Hi guys ,what a great app,if we think about it ,most of us wouldnt blink an eye to hand over a 5ver for that fish tale scooner at the end of the day ,and for 2 bob ,that someone made sure we were able to do that,. is more than just great

On a side note

Hi David,

My mate was out there on the same day and said that it was mostly flat and glassy and then they came upon the washing machine area as well. He was trolling through this but couldn't keep up against the current so they decided to bring in the lines. He put his son on the wheel as he wound in the lines. As he was doing this a wave came out of nowhere that broached the boat. After that scare he looked behind to see another one coming and yelled at his son to hit the trottle and get the heck out of there.

They were in 15 to 20 metres, he hasn't seen it that bad before especially being so calm in most other places but apparently this does happen from time to time with the current pushing to go over into deeper water ans usually happens on the western side of the banks going south.

The lesson is you need to always be on the look out.

• 4 months later...

Tried this app the other day!

Tracked us to 1300 fathoms no worries.

Detailed track available on the website is great with time and vessel speed. Even showed a zig zag where we had a hook up on stripies.

Coast guard boys stealing our fishing spots haha..