Quick flick at Rodd Point

Kooks

I hadn't been out for a fish for about 2 weeks so I headed out on Tuesday at midday.

Due to my girlfriend having the car I jumped on my mountain bike and rode the 10 minutes to Rodd Point near FiveDock. I've never been there but it has small sand flats on google maps. So I finally get there and the water is a nice shade of brown. :( So my sugarpen surface lure is going to struggle. The plan was to target whiting. This is were it goes wrong. The place seems lifeless. I saw a few jumping mullet and that was it. I spent an hour flicking and gave up. It was a nice interlude in the sun but I'm not to sure if I'll go back.

Has anyone had better experience at Rodd point on lures.

Hey Kooks,

I've tried the sand flats there a few months back on two separate occassions targeting whiting, bream and anything else using small surface lures (river2sea popper and Berkely prawn dog) without a touch both times despite fishing a good high tide :(

As you say, apart from the odd jumping mullet there wasn't much action at all. After persevering for a while with the lures I gave up and switched over to bait and got onto some nice bream.

It just goes to show the fish were there but I wasn't good enough to entice them with a lure :ranting2:

Better luck next time.

Ian

It fairly polluted there. Lots of rubbish and food scraps. So the bream have probably never seen prawn. ;)

Someone should make lures at imitate floating bits of bread or McDonalds fries.

try a bit futher round the bay towards drummoyne at halvemoon bay we catch some stonker bream in only 6ft of water usually around hitide in the 6.00 to 8.00am period as we live locally we target those tides and times which gives us our best chance,cheers dunc333

I must be pretty lucky there then!!! I've caught my pb whiting, bream and flattie there in the past couple of weeks!!! Use soft plastics on the sand flats, like z-man soft plastics or squidgies. Seems to work for me :). A morning or arvo high tide seems to get them active.

Good Luck