Snappering on the rocks

aidanhoh

With the seas and the wind back down, decided to hit the stones again for another long-range rockfishing session. This time, finally managed to bag a couple of legal (32-33cm) reds after half a dozen failed attempts. Have caught plenty of red rock cod, green eels, and just undersized snapper in the past few months, but different story today. Only had a fillet of salted slimy for bait and only had two hook-ups, but both were from the specimens pictured below. Just need to upsize the bag now...

post-19022-0-47568500-1363769653_thumb.jpg

post-19022-0-10045400-1363769719_thumb.jpg

With the seas and the wind back down, decided to hit the stones again for another long-range rockfishing session. This time, finally managed to bag a couple of legal (32-33cm) reds after half a dozen failed attempts. Have caught plenty of red rock cod, green eels, and just undersized snapper in the past few months, but different story today. Only had a fillet of salted slimy for bait and only had two hook-ups, but both were from the specimens pictured below. Just need to upsize the bag now...

What kind of rig do you use to catch those buggers?

Re rig, I use a 5oz (140g) snapper lead running on the main line down to a red bead, then a short piece (c.3cm) of red tubing before a knot to a swivel. Then a short 30cm trace to a single 3/0-5/0 hook. The tubing is there to minimise twisting of the trace around the main line on the cast. Trace and shock leader s strength should be at least 40lb as that also helps prevent the trace twisting on the cast, plus it will hold up to the stress of casting the 5oz sinker. I use a threadline and run 30lb Powerpro on it and then tie a 40lb shock trace. You can get away with lighter gear at spots where you don't need to cast too far, but where I fish, I need to put in casts of at least 80m to avoid a definite snag.