A good or bad day...I'm not sure

Kooks

I had interesting sunday morning session. I'm still having cold sweats and flashbacks.

I went to my land based spot in the east of the harbour with the hope of catching some kings. Got there before sun up and snavelled a few squid. So I chuck out my squid at bang on high tide. Within a few minutes my reel was screaming. I really need to invest in a baitfeeder as I always have the drag backed off so I don't lose my set up. So I grab my rod and dial up the drag and start winding. Nothing :unsure: So I start winding in all the slack line. when i comes up tight. The bugger must have been swimming back to shore. So it's ON! Plenty of weight and swimming near the surface...so I'm thinking a salmon. Then the fish realised it's hooked and goes on a solid run. I'm talking 50+ metres without even looking like stopping. So I dial the drag up even more and he takes another 50. So now I'm looking at my 20lb mono backing. It's time to lock up the drag on my 30lb braid. I've caught 80cm kings on this set up and have been able to stop them in pretty easily. So I'm calling this thing for a metre plus. So fully locked I try and turn his head as he's heading to some moorings. Then PING! Gone. My 40lb leader popped.

My knees were shaking in excitement, awe and adrenaline. So close...we not even close actually.

I'm out of squid now due to pickers, so I switch to a yakka. While he's swimming I catch another jellybean size squid and chuck him out. He pretty much hit the water and was snavelled up but another king. It's another big one too. I'd still say close to a metre. So same story I'm down about 100 metres of line. So I decide to increase the drag and .... pop! :mad3: Gone. This time it looks like my knot slipped as my leader had that curly look to it. So a good and bad day in my book.

So i'm determined to right the wrongs.

I'm buying more braid. So i'll have about 300m

Buy some stronger leader: 60lb

I'll also be looking at a different knot. Use a blood knot. So I'm think a uni knot is the way to go???

Also I was trying to fight the fish a bit early. I should have let him run more...but then again I was low on line.

Kooks

bad luck on the kings kooks! one knot that never fails me when tieing braid to leader is a bimini twist (which creates a double on the braid) and then doing a reverse albright to the leader. It's the pefect knot when tieing a small diameter line (braid) to thicker leader line. Then use a uni-knot for terminal tackle.

This set up never slips, never breaks, and the only thing you need to worry about is getting the kings off the reefs because once they are there, no knot can save you :biggrin2:

I had interesting sunday morning session. I'm still having cold sweats and flashbacks.

I went to my land based spot in the east of the harbour with the hope of catching some kings. Got there before sun up and snavelled a few squid. So I chuck out my squid at bang on high tide. Within a few minutes my reel was screaming. I really need to invest in a baitfeeder as I always have the drag backed off so I don't lose my set up. So I grab my rod and dial up the drag and start winding. Nothing :unsure: So I start winding in all the slack line. when i comes up tight. The bugger must have been swimming back to shore. So it's ON! Plenty of weight and swimming near the surface...so I'm thinking a salmon. Then the fish realised it's hooked and goes on a solid run. I'm talking 50+ metres without even looking like stopping. So I dial the drag up even more and he takes another 50. So now I'm looking at my 20lb mono backing. It's time to lock up the drag on my 30lb braid. I've caught 80cm kings on this set up and have been able to stop them in pretty easily. So I'm calling this thing for a metre plus. So fully locked I try and turn his head as he's heading to some moorings. Then PING! Gone. My 40lb leader popped.

My knees were shaking in excitement, awe and adrenaline. So close...we not even close actually.

I'm out of squid now due to pickers, so I switch to a yakka. While he's swimming I catch another jellybean size squid and chuck him out. He pretty much hit the water and was snavelled up but another king. It's another big one too. I'd still say close to a metre. So same story I'm down about 100 metres of line. So I decide to increase the drag and .... pop! :mad3: Gone. This time it looks like my knot slipped as my leader had that curly look to it. So a good and bad day in my book.

So i'm determined to right the wrongs.

I'm buying more braid. So i'll have about 300m

Buy some stronger leader: 60lb

I'll also be looking at a different knot. Use a blood knot. So I'm think a uni knot is the way to go???

Also I was trying to fight the fish a bit early. I should have let him run more...but then again I was low on line.

Kooks

Where about did you get the hook up? I`m looking to get my 1st king.

shame you didnt get to see them mate, there has been some solid kings in the harbour. best knot for connecting braid to mono (in my opinion) is the fg knot, bit harder to tie and takes time but its worth its weight in gold you can easily wind your leader onto your spool and still get a decent cast as it is very slim and doesnt catch the guides.

one thing i will suggest if you want to target big kings land based is upgrade your gear i fish 50lb braid and 80lb leaders and get dusted regularly even fishing 80lb braid and 100lb+ leader you wont stop some fish.

I'd definitely be using something like 60lb. Fishing off the land, you don't have the flexibility of a boat fisher where you could chase the fish, move the fish or move your self into deeper water away from snags and structures. Awesome stuff getting the hookups. I do believe, though, that if the kings aren't in a frenzy, they are leader shy.

Second the FG / mid knot. Breaks the main before any breakage at or near the knot, tested on plenty of 30 kg kings and 1 over 40 kg hasn't failed yet . But as Quinterx said you gotta turn the heads, or you will find reef reef and reef. If you feel it running reef play it soft, sometimes you can get em out

Try 50lb braid, 80 lb leader minimum, ideally 80 lb braid & 120lb leader. Get your self some owner jobu's 7/0's or 8/0's and some time in the gym on those forearms if you want he big kings :)

Big squid , big fish. Don't be scared to put a big squid out trust me, Kings in the 30 range will smash the biggest squid you can throw at em

Larger squid need 2 hooks, one in the tip if the hood, next in the hood behind the head

Great to see you enjoyed the run on one of the best fighting fish on the eastern seaboard

Sorry for the formatting bloody iPad

Cheers

Extra

Edited by Extradry

That happened to me and my mate at Sow and Pigs two weeks ago. My mate got busted off on the reef. Mine ran about 100m North. I had about 10kg of drag pressure on it and it stripped line as if there was no drag at all. Popped my 60lb leader around one of the markers.

Run away freight train! :chair:

J