Easter Monday Lane Cove River

ColinP60

After a late start ( 9 am at the boat ramp) headed to my favourite spinning spot. Throw some soft plastics for an hour with a nice result of 2 flatties and a good size Bream,

throw for another hour or so without to much success except a few small Tailor.

I had some prawns in the esky so decided to head up past Fig Tree Bridge nearly top of the tide so i peeled a prawn and started a drift, BANG a nice size Bream, i was stoked with this so decided to keep the drift going another peeled prawn for a few undersized Bream. I thought 1 more try grabbed a good sized prawn and on it went. The rod tip bent and the drag started going. I thought this is a great flattie here, fought it for 10 minutes on a 7 dollar special from Big W. Terrible drag on those reels but after 10 minutes up came the biggest Bream i have ever seen. He was 45 cms and weighed 1.4 kilo i was stoked.

All in all had a the greatest day, beautiful weather and nice fishing. Got some great pics to share.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

post-30083-0-43272800-1364800244_thumb.jpg

post-30083-0-02523100-1364800281_thumb.jpg

Consumption should be very minimal from there. I throw back almost everything I catch but that bream would have been a thrill. I hope one day to catch a thumper like that on plastics. Top stuff. Dont over eat these fish. They still have high levels of dioxins which can do nasty things to the body and take many years to leave the body.

Hope youre kids don't eat the heavy metals fish too regular and big old fish are the worst. Great encouragement to let em swim away though

This too. A bream of that size is probably 15 - 20 years old and could have potentially been exposed to dioxins and other toxins when the river was much more polluted.

It won't kill you if you don't eat much of it at all, but prevent eating it when you don't need to.

wow last time i post on here !!! do a fish report and post the biggest bream ive ever caught and alls i get is "if you eat that fish your going to die". CYA all later peoples. I wonder if the other 35 people fishing off the bank down there throw all their fish away. Lets face it Sydney Harbour is not the cleanest fishing grounds in Australia but i would like a dollar for every kilo of fish that is eaten out of it every year. I think the recommended for this river is 150 grams a month, knowing my luck and the way i fish i wont get another feed for the next 2 months.

Hey Colin,

no offence intended mate

I was a local there in the 70s and eighties.Got some great flatties under the Fig tree bridge...

People these days are more cautious than in my day

That why I am now old and F*cked up and you are still a young fella with a shining bright future!

the earlier poster is right about the age of that fish, if a bit light on.

we care for our members, hence the advice

best of luck on future outings and yes it was a GREAT fish.

Cheers

Chris

Mate it's our own choice what we keep for the table but as a kid we used to see that massive factory at the Silverwater bridge at night shooting flames. Now with age I know it can never be cleaned up. I won't eat any bottom feeding fish west of the big bridge, but have caught some stonkers and big catches from Gladesville area. That's just my choice, but the thought that big lizard or bream may have been up in the silt upriver makes it an easy choice for me. I do think the lower harbour is looking cleaner then ever though. Sorry to offend

Dude no one bagged out your catch. It was just suggested you either don't eat much or you release them and fish for a feed out from cleaner waters. Its for your own good. Those 30 other people probably keep under sized fish and eat everything they catch. This is not something which will make you sick in a week or a month but heavy metals and other toxins are carcinogenic. It is for your own good. Most part of the prize is catching the fish and snapping the photo, dont risk your health and pump the mentality 'I caught it I eat it'. I recall reading some years ago a guy was catching parramatta river bream and selling them to the public. Landed him self a massive fine. That is the bream any bream fisher would dream to catch but knowing whats in that fish is enough to put me off taking it home for a food. Head over middle harbour and you'll pick up a tasty and much safer meal.

When you also take into consideration how these fish live compared to others will factor in too. If you caught a hoodlum say at the gladesville bridge, its probably very safe to eat. That fish was probably there for no more than a few days before it turns around and heads out to bigger waters. Bream are a very local fish. They don't stray too far from one spot their whole lives, as with flathead. If you caught a jewfish in the river, some would question this one, but I think it might be on the safer side. The same fish could swim out to harbour, middle harbour, do some twists and come back around. Some would catch a big jewfish but still be concerned about the meat in the fish, then release it. Too many factors to consider. I either throw back my fish or someone else fishing near by asks for them. I can't educate these people, half of them can't speak proper english, they don't read the signs, they just don't want to understand. If you're capable of understanding that these fish are potentially no good but still decide to eat them.... well.

There are fish everywhere, remember that.

The harbour is relatively clean, parramatta river isnt.

Edited by SargeRX8

Awesome bream! Looks so clean too - I once got a bream off the beach that was really black and dark looking which suprised me - I thought beach bream would be the most clean / silver looking.

I dont think anyone was trying to have a go about your catch and before you stop posting here - which would be a shame - you should at least read this article and see why everyone is so concerned for your health

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consumers/keeping-food-safe/special-care-foods/sydney-harbour-seafood/#.UVmGzrur-Yo

Thanks for the info RickieR, i see bream is up the top of the list 150 grams per month guess i better release the next 2 months worth lol. I am 55 years old so i guess it's not going to worry me a great deal. I would never feed my children any fish from the harbour if they want fish it's a trip to the fish markets. Thanks for the info guys. Ill have to go back to throwing my SP for flathead i can eat a few more of them.

just a question on the Lane Cove River system though, is it and was it ever as polluted as the Parramatta River. I very rarely fish the Parramatta River because i know there were a lot of factories around Rhodes and Homebush. i know the article says any fish west of the bridge so i'm assuming that once the Lane Cove River was just as polluted. Thanks for any info.

When I said West of the bridge it was just my opinion. Fish caught at places like Balmain, Greenwich and the mouth areas of Lane cove river may well be quite safe to eat. Although that river is not the cesspit the parra was it would still have to be pretty bad as you go up river. Some big Bass up there to. I catch good Bass from poluted Nepean waters but I would never kill a bass even if I cought it up north in clean water. To be honest small fish full of bones are a pain in the arse to eat. Cold by the time I pick through the bones or the 2 fish fingers you get off a little legal flattie.

Ill say it again thats a horse bream mate!

How far up the river?

Drummoyne ramp is my local and i love fishing the area to catch and release big bream. Im reluctant to go up the river as its very shallow there in places around FTB.

I get some crackas around the structure on goat island.

got him on the port channel marker west of fig tree bridge just where the channel meets the flats and he gave me a bit of a fight. My good rods still had lures attached so i just grabbed the kids 14 dollar special. Seems to be some good bream around FTB at the moment or was, don't know about now with all this rain this week.

• 4 weeks later...