Snorkeling with a hand line

lostproperty

*** Please forgive my ignorance if this is an illegal method of fishing but I couldn't find anything in DPI website to confirm. If this is the case please lock this thread thanks ***

Just wondering if it's legal to snorkel and fish a hand line? Thinking about it for a bit of fun and watching fish and squid striking bait and lures. I do not intend to do any spearing and this is not related so please don't take this post in that direction thanks ! :)

I think you're gonna need to call up on this one lol. I don't see why it would be illegal unless they throw the safety thing at you say you hook a big fish line wraps around your hand or arm fish turns wraps line around your body and drags you down. Sounds like something they wojld come up with.

Haha yeah I'd only use light line don't Wana get dragged under water by a big kingy or anything haha definitely not the plan ! Think it'd be good to watch how squids come out of the weed and strike a jig and also watch how the fish react the hook presentation ect, would be in relatively shallow water as well about 5m max too

I do this at Forster a little bit. I snorkel over the weed beds and drift some prawn down and watch the fish eat it. I actually get a few good bream doing this. I can't see why it would not be allowed there are people using rods where I snorkel. The only reason I thought of it was that I was fishing and so were a bunch if other people and no one was getting a thing so I grabbed the snorkel stuff and had a look and saw the bream everywhere. So I thought how could I get the fish and hand line went through my head. I ended up taking out my 7 year old brother to watch and he loved it. I have even " trolled" for flathead like this as well. If there is a bit of current I swim with it and put a lure about 20m behind me and go along the weed beds.

Martin

I do this at Forster a little bit. I snorkel over the weed beds and drift some prawn down and watch the fish eat it. I actually get a few good bream doing this. I can't see why it would not be allowed there are people using rods where I snorkel. The only reason I thought of it was that I was fishing and so were a bunch if other people and no one was getting a thing so I grabbed the snorkel stuff and had a look and saw the bream everywhere. So I thought how could I get the fish and hand line went through my head. I ended up taking out my 7 year old brother to watch and he loved it. I have even " trolled" for flathead like this as well. If there is a bit of current I swim with it and put a lure about 20m behind me and go along the weed beds.

Martin

Haha, that puts a whole new spin on the technique of 'trolling'.

Martin

You can't spearfish estuaries/enclosed waters, so I wonder if doing the above is illegal? Can't see an issue in open waters where spearfishing is allowed.

I do this around south west rocks wih pretty good success. When the water visibility is good - you can almost "pick your fish". Whiting/bream are the main catches, caught a small groper once & very quickly realised the slight danger involved if you're not prepared to let the odd fish go!!

If its catch and realease I don't see why not. At Forster there's a little reef that I snorkel using a hand line to catch big bream on bread. The pain is having to swim all the way to shore to realease the fish!

My brother, Cam & I have done this at Forster too - and I've fished with a coke bottle with line wound on it in Fiji! (3/4 full of water so it is easier to hold in the water.) I caught some good fish on SPs & was able to give them to the Fijian workers!

At the top of the tide, you can spot the big flatties & bream & target them - just be careful in the current tho!

Roberta

If it's not in the permitted rules than they say it's not legal.

However you have 1 line with 1 hook which is legal.

The only difference is the way your using the line.

I would say that they if it came down to the crunch it would be viewed that you have an unfair advantage in so far as you can target fish that might not be caught in traditional methods.

That is the same for spearfishing or using a bow or even a cast net.

Jeff

If it's not in the permitted rules than they say it's not legal.

However you have 1 line with 1 hook which is legal.

The only difference is the way your using the line.

I would say that they if it came down to the crunch it would be viewed that you have an unfair advantage in so far as you can target fish that might not be caught in traditional methods.

That is the same for spearfishing or using a bow or even a cast net.

Jeff

I'd tend to disagree, with a spear or casting net the fish are basically being caught because of our action, or an external influence in which the fish hasn't decided for itself... Who's to say being able to see the fish is an unfair advantage? I know when I'm fishing for yakkas, a lot of the time I can see them, or a bream swimming around a warf, I can remember quite a few time when a breams been seen and a baits been sent down and it's met it's demise.

Fishingphase

I'd tend to disagree, with a spear or casting net the fish are basically being caught because of our action, or an external influence in which the fish hasn't decided for itself... Who's to say being able to see the fish is an unfair advantage? I know when I'm fishing for yakkas, a lot of the time I can see them, or a bream swimming around a warf, I can remember quite a few time when a breams been seen and a baits been sent down and it's met it's demise.

Fishingphase

That's right but you are not in their domain. I can tell you now that as a youth I was a keen spearfisher and the fish did not stand a chance. Sighting a fish from above the water is not the same as being in the water with them.

Jeff