Beach reel .... what to buy?

jshields

Gday Raiders,

Looking at buying a new beach reel and would love some feedback on some good options. Dont mind paying for quality gear. Mainly to chase jews off the beach.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hey Stewy you forgot one, coke bottle with 50lb mono haha, Seriously though, an Alvey is good once you get used to them mainly because you can easily wash them out if sand finds it way into the reel.

I personally use a threadline (egg beater) but I do make sure that is always in a rod holder and my hands are always free of sand and give it a light rinse off when I am finished with it.

I would go for a Daiwa Saltist 4500, 20-30lb braid for your jewie chasing..

I would get an Alvey (650A or C) any day.

Sooner or later fishing the beach you WILL get sand in the reel.

ALvey_ No prob, just wash it in the surf!

Anything else=Major service...

as the Merkat says..."Simples"

Best of luck

Chris

Thanks for the feedback, i currently use an egg beater but it seems the alvey is a popular choice. How are they for casting out big baits. The rod i recently got is a Diawa Surf tournament master 14foot which is a great rod.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I regularly lob big baits on my alvey setups chasing sharks and more recently the elusive jew. Butterflied, whole or the heads of mullet and tailor no probs.

Also on the reverse they cast light weights excellent as well...

I've been fishing years with spinning and casting reels off the beach and have never once dropped my rod or had any sand get in the reel. And that's after more than a decade doing it.

If you're clumsy and drop things then get an alvey. If you are reasonably careful and make an effort to look after your gear then get whatever you're comfortable with.

If you get an alvey it should be because you want to fish with one, not because you're afraid of dropping a reel that may suit better.

My choice would be a sustain 8000. Great reel for spinning and bait. The shimano baitrunner is also a great reel but a bit heavy for spinning.

Alveys are bullet proof. They love a salt water rinse! They are also great of the rocks and very therapeutic to use.....no gears to help you out........I have 4 from the smallest to the biggest and wouldn't use anything else from the sand.

Mate...get an alvey if u will b doing beach fishing...alvey r good off rocks too...it takes a while to get used to but once u get use to it...you wont be using anything else...its very low on maintainance as well...i just got mine service recently after 4yrs for $20...how good is that??? If ever you got a problem with it...just ring up alvey and if you are lucky enough like me...you get to talk to bruce...mr alvey himself...

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice and positive feedback on the Alveys! I have a low mount 12ft Abu Garcia beach rod(cheapy I think) with a fairly thick top end...medium to heavy action. I'm thinking I'll get an Alvey and get into the heavier side of beach fishing with bigger baits. It seems pretty simple and hassle free. The rod was given to me so I might as well use it.

Thanks for the motivation!

Great advice and positive feedback on the Alveys! I have a low mount 12ft Abu Garcia beach rod(cheapy I think) with a fairly thick top end...medium to heavy action. I'm thinking I'll get an Alvey and get into the heavier side of beach fishing with bigger baits. It seems pretty simple and hassle free. The rod was given to me so I might as well use it.

Thanks for the motivation!

The difference between a low mount and an alvey low mount is the position of the first runner. On a rod made to suit alvey reels it will be near halfway up the full length of the rod, this is to facilitate casting and the resistance placed against the line from a runner situated closer to the reel seat

Fishingphase

The difference between a low mount and an alvey low mount is the position of the first runner. On a rod made to suit alvey reels it will be near halfway up the full length of the rod, this is to facilitate casting and the resistance placed against the line from a runner situated closer to the reel seat

Fishingphase

Thanks, I'll go out and check it now. A low mount barge pole of a rod with anything other than an Alvey reel seems useless.

What Alvey have you decided on?

I have quite a few models, but find I always come back to the 650a5 version, it has no drag but is so simple to use. A good all round drag model for beach and rocks is the 650be or 650c5 - be has the handles on the reel, the c5 has them unattached to the reel. I feel more comfortable with handles on the reel especially on the rocks, but have used both successfully on some good sized sharks, rays, etc... Haven't scored a jew yet but is my target at the moment - will be using the 650a5 spooled with 7kg and 10kg leader and the 650e5 (same as 650be except stainless steel back) spooled with 10kg.

Would like to hear how you go!

Cheers.