Longtails at Port Stephens

wise one

Just back from our annual fishing trip to Port Stephens.

We targeted the longtail tuna with some success!

Mrs Wise One caught the first tuna (and her biggest fish to date):

post-4544-0-09601800-1365922004_thumb.jpeg

Caught on a live yacka under a balloon at The Little Gibber. This one was taken on 15kg mono on a Stella 20000SW so was brought to the boat quite quickly!

Current was roaring south and 23.5 degrees - no wonder the tuna were there!

Having put some sashimi in the fridge and steaks in the freezer, the next day we tried for snapper (unsuccessfully) so then went back to the Little Gibber on the next 2 days. However the water had changed, no current and a cool 21.2 degrees... Only a bite off from a shark of unknown species.

The final day, we decided to target kingies at Fingal Lighthouse.

Bait was rippling on the surface and the current was again pushing hard to the south. It looked fishy but we couldn't find a king.

Instead we at first got a decent mack tuna and then hooked what was obviously a good fish - this time on a slow trolled yacka down deeper with a bean sinker on my kingy rod (5-8KG heavy barra and 400 Calcutta reel with 30lb braid).

Anyway after a long hour + fight and some chasing around the ocean (great driving by Mrs Wise One) we secured our second longtail of the week.

post-4544-0-61412300-1365922108_thumb.jpeg

I've caught longtails most years at Port Stephens, but having Mrs Wise One catch one was great (and then for me to catch one too was the perfect end to a great weeks fishing).

So no snapper or kingies, but we certainly had a successful trip on the tuna and brought plenty of steaks back for ourselves and a few close friends!

We also saw the tuna in the bay one evening - so you don't need a big boat!

Anyone that hasn't caught one of these beauties should seriously consider a trip to Port Stephens over the next 3-6 weeks as they are on big time.

Edited by wise one

Good on you mate! I've seen them in the bay this week a couple of times busting up around the anchorage. The weekend however was like a washing machine out front, so couldn't get out there. Where a outs around fingal were you when you got the second one??

Cheers scratchie!!!

Well done mate!

Longtails would have to be one of my favourite fish.... Awesome sport! You just can't go too light on them as they never give up.. Made the mistake of fishing for them on bream gear which resulted in 1 hour+ fight for just a 80cm fish... :1onono:

Always some nice ones around the port if you can find them..

Great work!

Cheers, Tom

That is fantastic, and exactly the report we were hoping to read as I am taking the family to Port Stephens on wednesday

Great you could get your wife onto such a good fish

It is the first time I am taking my boat there and would appreciate any more advise ( location of the bait grounds and possibly if willing a few gpd marks) since most fishing trips this year have not been sucessfull and need to get some sucess to keep the family

My boat can safely go offshore but Prefer not to go more than about 15km from the headland unless im with another vessel

Congrats again

regards David

That is fantastic, and exactly the report we were hoping to read as I am taking the family to Port Stephens on wednesdayGreat you could get your wife onto such a good fishIt is the first time I am taking my boat there and would appreciate any more advise ( location of the bait grounds and possibly if willing a few gpd marks) since most fishing trips this year have not been sucessfull and need to get some sucess to keep the family My boat can safely go offshore but Prefer not to go more than about 15km from the headland unless im with another vesselCongrats again regards David

BAIT - easiest place is NW corner of Cabbage Tree Island. You cant miss it as there are always boats catching livebaits there.

GPS Marks - don't have them and you don't need them. The Little Gibber is probably one of the better spots (on the shore directly inside Broughton Island. Anchor 100m from the rocks and set a livie 2-3m under a balloon and wait for the tuna to swim past (they follow the beaches down the coast and the gap between The Little Gibber and The Sisters / Broughton Island "funnel" them past your waiting livebait).

If your boat can't manage that distance then straight out the front of Fingal Island is good (that is where I got the second one). They are also caught off the rocks at Tomaree (the Southern headland at Port Stephens) so you can anchor and fish here (lots of bait here too but also a few noahs that often steal tuna hooked by the LBG guys).

Finally, if the weather is bad - fish in the bay. 2 options - 1st is to anchor and livebait at the wreck in Salamander Bay, 2nd is to drift with the engine running and keep a look out for the tuna "busting up" then drive over there and cast a 40 gram slice into them and wind like fury.

Edited by wise one

Well done mate!

Longtails would have to be one of my favourite fish.... Awesome sport! You just can't go too light on them as they never give up.. Made the mistake of fishing for them on bream gear which resulted in 1 hour+ fight for just a 80cm fish... :1onono:

Always some nice ones around the port if you can find them..

Great work!

Cheers, Tom

I know the feeling, 3 years ago we chased them in the bay - I hooked up on my lightest rod and fought one for 1 hours 40 minutes before the hooks straightened with the fish circling 5m down...

If your boat can't manage that distance then straight out the front of Fingal Island is good (that is where I got the second one). They are also caught off the rocks at Tomaree (the Southern headland at Port Stephens) so you can anchor and fish here (lots of bait here too but also a few noahs that often steal tuna hooked by the LBG guys).

Awesome report and great to see you both getting decent fish.

I personally think if you have a boat then you should use it and access areas where you cant from land. Granted tuna hug the shoreline at certain times of the year but to anchor up infront of a popular LBG ledge is a pretty poor form especially if there are fishos on the rocks already.

Have to agree with smoked1. Don't go near Tomaree and keep a good distance from the ledge to avoid cutting someone who has probably spent the best part of the last month sitting there waiting for that 1 fish. I have been cut off by boats twice at Toma.

Little gibber is good, need some patience, as they will just come through at any random time, with little or no action in between.

In the bay around Salamander is pretty good at first light. You will see them busting up if they are about.

Good luck and have a great week.

Cheers

Scott

BAIT - easiest place is NW corner of Cabbage Tree Island. You cant miss it as there are always boats catching livebaits there.

GPS Marks - don't have them and you don't need them. The Little Gibber is probably one of the better spots (on the shore directly inside Broughton Island. Anchor 100m from the rocks and set a livie 2-3m under a balloon and wait for the tuna to swim past (they follow the beaches down the coast and the gap between The Little Gibber and The Sisters / Broughton Island "funnel" them past your waiting livebait).

Finally, if the weather is bad - fish in the bay. 2 options - 1st is to anchor and livebait at the wreck in Salamander Bay, 2nd is to drift with the engine running and keep a look out for the tuna "busting up" then drive over there and cast a 40 gram slice into them and wind like fury.

Thanks heaps, that great information and what makes this site so good that people help each other

Is time of the day important? Or the time the of the Tide?

Re Putting a bait under a balloon, do you put weight above the swivel and the just set out 3 meters of line and tie the balloon on

Do you use a circle hooks? and pinned just below the dorsal fin or through the nose or tail

Sorry for so many questions but we are pumped to catch a fish of a life time.

Don't complicate it, 3m trace, float on trace, hook... Can add a swivel 1m from hook, but I don't. They come though at random, just gotta have a bait in water.

Again give the Lbg guys room, have been chopped off by inconsiderate boaties more then once. Better places to target them anyway in a boat .

Awesome report and great to see you both getting decent fish.

I personally think if you have a boat then you should use it and access areas where you cant from land. Granted tuna hug the shoreline at certain times of the year but to anchor up infront of a popular LBG ledge is a pretty poor form especially if there are fishos on the rocks already.

Sorry for the inference that you would fish by boat near the LBG ledges - no way intended. Tomaree is a big headland, the LBG ledges are a fair bit round to the South of the headland. If you had a small boat and didn't want to venture to The Little Gibber or even the Lighthouse off Fingal, then I believe you would not be in the way of the LBG guys if you anchored at the Northern tip of Tomaree.

Another spot worth a go is round the North side of Yakkaba near the little rock - you must be careful that you are not in the sanctuary zone but that stops 50m East of the little rock. Again the longtails follow the beach from the North and have to swim around Yakkaba and so this spot is in their path.

In the bay, they can appear busting up on the surface anywhere from the heads to Soldiers Point, so a bit hit and miss - but I have seen them the most nearer Soldiers Point and in Salamander Bay where the water is generally deeper than near Shoal Bay.

Edited by wise one

I use a short double tied to a good quality snap swivel.

I then have a 2-3 meter trace of 60lb fleurocarbon with a 7/0 light guage circle hook.

I attach the trace and the balloon (via an elastic band) to the snap swivel.

I bridal my livebaits to the hook with 50lb dacron using a bait needle - not necessary but I think you get better hook clearance (less chance of point sticking into the livebait) and also the live bait stays alive longer.

Inflate the baloon to about 4-5 inches. It serves a few purposes including holding the livebait off the bottom, letting you know where the livebait is and aiding in drifting the livebait away from the boat (using the wind and/or current).

Fish you reel in free spool with just the ratchet on. When a fish hits the baloon will burst or snap free and the tuna will take line at a fair rate of knots.

Give it 5-10 seconds then slowly increase the drag to set the circule hook.

Then get ready to "lose" the anchor and give chase!

I find it easiest to have a shortish anchor rope with a float attached, so on hook up you can throw the lot overboard and chase the fish. You can return to your anchor after the fight. The alternative is to pull up your anchor before chasing the fish but this takes a fair bit of time by which time the fish might have 200m+ of line in the water!

Its a great fun and challenging fish to catch and (except for sharks) probably one of the largest fish you can catch close to shore.

Edited by wise one

I find it easiest to have a shortish anchor rope with a float attached, so on hook up you can throw the lot overboard and chase the fish. You can return to your anchor after the fight.

Brilliant. Best Idea of the month (for me anyway) off to the shop to get a short rope, for the depth of Salamander Bay.