Middle harbour reds

Piss'n'Broke

Went out yesterday in some awful weather with Greg, he picked me up at Tunks at 5am after he had spent the previous 5hrs catching us some squid and yakkas. Scouting around for a bit we ended up at a spot in middle harbour that was protected by 80% of the wind and sent baits down. Wasnt long before the yakkas started to shake as the were being haressed and we started to lose a few of them to unknowns! :ranting2:

After about 30mins one of Gregs rods took a big hit with a yakka on it and went for a little run before we could get to it, luckily for us it came back for a second go with it sticking. Greg called it for a rat as it wasnt taking too much line off his tyrnos, it wasnt until it hit the surface when it went from being a rat, to being a small jew, then with a flash it dawned on us it was a damn good snapper!!!!

It was quickly brought aboard and dispatched into the esky for dinner......

It was a new PB for Greg 61cm :biggrinthumb:

The action continued to be hot for the new few hours till 9am when the tide started to slow. We managed to catch strippies, watson leaping bonito, spotted a rat hanging around the anchor chain, had surface action busting up all around the boat, on & off during the morning,,, and missed countless other strikes to what we suspect where more reds as they would take a small run with our yakkas before dropping them.

All in all a great morning out with us smashing through 13-15yakkas in 1.5hrs whilst the squid barely got a hit.

Dan

post-2246-0-12543100-1366494332_thumb.jpg

Hey Mike, I still remember that 70 you got! Great fish, yup striped tuna, almost certain, was very suprised to see them there, but just goes to show you, anything can happen. They are probably in middle harbour due to the amount of bait around at the moment.

Say neither myself or Greg havent seen you at any of your usual haunts in middle harbour since before Xmas last year,,,, you given up fishing inside since yourve gotten the bigger boat?

Dan

Hey Mike, I still remember that 70 you got! Great fish, yup striped tuna, almost certain, was very suprised to see them there, but just goes to show you, anything can happen. They are probably in middle harbour due to the amount of bait around at the moment.

Say neither myself or Greg havent seen you at any of your usual haunts in middle harbour since before Xmas last year,,,, you given up fishing inside since yourve gotten the bigger boat?

Dan

Hey Dan,

Mate I really just haven't been fishing much this year. Been busy and uninspired when it comes to fishing as need to find my mojo. Your report gets me interested so will hit MH leading up to the full moon. See ya out there.

Mike

nice snapper was it caught in the harbour?

Yup, was caught by Greg in middle harbour yesteday at about 6.15am! The rain killed his phone which meant I had to take a very quick pic on my iphone as we only had 5mins of no p@#$IN@g down rain out of every 1/2 hr, hence the cig in the mouth. Smoke em whilst you got em.

Dan

Nice red Dan, that weather was truly awful. Must be why I don't catch big reds any more. Too soft.

David

Understand in a kayak Dave,,,, if you had of had the amount of water in your kayak as we had in Gregs boat your kayak wouldnt have been floating. There was that much that we could have had the yakkas swimming around in the 100mm of water at our feet instead of the bait tank.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg