Don't waste your money on lures..they don't work!

dhype

Trung,

My dear friend. It seems you constantly get yourself into awkward situations.

If there is just ONE man in a million with whom there is ANY chance of a confrontation, you can bet you will find him and have an argument with him over something.

You probably singled him out as an eccentric old man and a bait fisho.

Then you picked up the most wacky looking lure and began to talk to the lure, telling it how amazing that lure would be in your very able hands, while patting it on it's head.

That poor old goat would have probably had enough and tried to do the right thing by setting you straight about lures....

He tried to tell you that the only point of the invention of lures is to catch fishermen.

And he was right !

But that was your mission - to get under his skin ....Mission accomplished !

Now that you have your new lure and a newly created enthuisiasm to prove him wrong, fuelled by your recent argument, you have all that you need to get out there... :harhar:

That personal best bream is a cracker fish tho - is it real ? It looks like it has an air intake nozzle just after it's anal fin. You might have to attempt to blow it up for us to prove it's real... :074:

The flatties well yes one guy here saw clearly that it's the same fish from different angles so that one is a no brainer.

Maybe next time I will dress up like an old man and go into your local tackle shop and lie in wait for you near the lure bins....

See if I can get you to bite....

PS - some people say they don't use smelly bait anymore....

That is the laugh of the century.

If they were using smelly bait, the bait was obviously undergoing putrification.

Is there any wonder they couldn't catch a fish ?

So they had to go to the last resort - lures - at least they got rid of the smell of old bait. At least that was an improvement of the situation.... :biggrinthumb:

Actually in all seriousness - well done Trung - that's an amazing catch - especially the prawn on a lure.

Obviously that's what the fish are feeding on. Were you fishing the new moon on a runout tide ? That is my guess.

Lures and bait both have their place and lures are fake bait that require the ingenuity of a keen fishing mind to make it look real and convince the fish to eat it.

That's a real challenge - one that you continually meet - so easily in fact that it's not really a challenge for you anymore.

Wanna try bait fishing ? It may prove more of a challenge for you....but then you would have nothing with which to argue over with old eccentric bait fishos....

Tony

This is just training equipment to play around with...

As for the 146GB drives in the R520... why do you need any bigger locally when there is a $150K+ FC SAN sitting underneath it ? ;)

theres 146gb drives in the SAN too lol

always entertaining your posts

hope you dropped that prawn back down for a nice bream

Funny post :harhar:

I used to catch bream on lures(on small wonder wobblers) in the seventies thought it was a fluke until it became too consistant

Also fished with bait but fished it like fishing with lures live prawns cast unweighted at snags very effective but now much prefer lures

To trung and all the other Anti bait fisherman out there . Here is one for the guys who prefer baits over lures ! I'm not saying lures don't work , they do , but I like to think of them as another option perhaps. ... U guys mentioned stinky servo prawns . Well I don't know anyone who uses them but I use prawns bought from a supermarket FROZEN mind u and my PB breams are 46cm 2.3 kg, , 44 and 43 cm , not bad for a so called sticky frozen prawn hey!!!! Also caught several Jewies on these babies in the bay biggest reaching 6kg. Kingies, flathead and everything else have succumb to these so called smelly prawns lol . Also fish the stones in winter for big pigs and blackfish and caught drummer to 5kg on them . Like to see ur lures around the washes boys .... Now to the bigger stuff those Pelagics! Kingies first up and u should know trung posting several pics of ur kings on here downrigging with SQUID! What's that ? Yes a BAIT ! Lol lets see ur lures land a big hoody king unless u jig with the knife jigs .. Or live yakkas again another bait !!! What about Out wide chasin big fin and marlin! It's almost fin time so yes let's split a block of pillies ?? and several of them to cube for yellowfin and albies , dragging lures around , no way !! Save fuel and time and cube with stinky pillies lol and lots of them! Marlin often get asked the best lure for marlin .... Simple a bridled slimy ! No need to buy lures when the. Bait is out there to catch and it's free!! And lastly fishing deep water for blue eye and gemmies , what does everyone use .... U guessed BAIT ! No plastics, hard bodies or blades but bait! So guys don't knock the bait cause at the end of the day in sum sort of form everyone still uses it .... Cheers

Dont worry trung baits for people who cant fool a fish into taking something fake my dads one of those bait fisherman and 99% if the time i out fish him

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure that the Raiders posting replies are anti bait fishing - most, like me, were just expressing a preference for lure fishing when the circumstances permit. I'll certainly be doing some bait fishing over the winter months - whiting on worms, blackfish on weed, blurters on prawns to mention some possibilities that I have in mind. Hopefully the bonito and mac tuna are around off the headlands like they were last winter and I'll have some fun catching them on lures. I might then use some of them to catch a few lizards out a bit wider. There could even be a soft plastic down there with the baits too.

Remember, Trung started his excellent post post as a result of an encounter with an anti lure fisherman!

Tight lines - no matter what is on the end! :fishing1:

Kel

IMO, it doesn't matter what you use. It's how you use it.

Example number 1: Finding a big school of bream under an urban wharf. One fisherman is fishing a small grub style plastic on a 1/20 jIghead, while another is casting a 4" paddle tail 1/2 head. I bet you know which pulled the 42cm bream from this school.

Example number 2: Both fisherman are targeting big bream on bait. One assumes the fish are "way out there" and casts a good 60m+ out into open water using a heavy sinker to increase distance. The other is fishing ultra light gear (4lb leader) and NO WEIGHT (unweighted) well rigged prawns or small strips of mullet IN CLOSE to the rockwall. I bet you know which pulled a 4kg bag in this situation.

The debate will forever continue as lure technology advances. I myself am a pretty dedicated lure fisho. Particularly when it comes to plastics, although nothing beats the summer topwater bite! I still use bait from time to time (often when chasing jewfish) but when i do i focus on the small things and they make a BIG difference. When i "occasionally" chase bream on bait, i fish almost exclusively unweighted. It makes a hell of a difference, especially in my local system.

Bait isn't always suited to some situations. Same goes for lures. What would you cast into a bust up? A prawn? Or perhaps a metal or stickbait. When the kings are shut down, what would you throw at them? A live squid or a plastic?

Each to their own but it's the small things in our techniques that make the difference.

Back on topic, terrific fish Trung! How are you liking the new certate? It looks the goods thats for sure. Definitely looking at getting one.

Cheers, Tom

IMO, it doesn't matter what you use. It's how you use it.

Example number 1: Finding a big school of bream under an urban wharf. One fisherman is fishing a small grub style plastic on a 1/20 jIghead, while another is casting a 4" paddle tail 1/2 head. I bet you know which pulled the 42cm bream from this school.

Example number 2: Both fisherman are targeting big bream on bait. One assumes the fish are "way out there" and casts a good 60m+ out into open water using a heavy sinker to increase distance. The other is fishing ultra light gear (4lb leader) and NO WEIGHT (unweighted) well rigged prawns or small strips of mullet IN CLOSE to the rockwall. I bet you know which pulled a 4kg bag in this situation.

The debate will forever continue as lure technology advances. I myself am a pretty dedicated lure fisho. Particularly when it comes to plastics, although nothing beats the summer topwater bite! I still use bait from time to time (often when chasing jewfish) but when i do i focus on the small things and they make a BIG difference. When i "occasionally" chase bream on bait, i fish almost exclusively unweighted. It makes a hell of a difference, especially in my local system.

Bait isn't always suited to some situations. Same goes for lures. What would you cast into a bust up? A prawn? Or perhaps a metal or stickbait. When the kings are shut down, what would you throw at them? A live squid or a plastic?

Each to their own but it's the small things in our techniques that make the difference.

Back on topic, terrific fish Trung! How are you liking the new certate? It looks the goods thats for sure. Definitely looking at getting one.

Cheers, Tom

Well put Tom! Each to there own. I'm a bait fisho but love trolling lures!

So I'm 50/50. Trung, you are the master of lures!

Nice catch!

Cheers scratchie!!!

This thread is gold! I also agree with Tom. I like bait and lure fishing, though much prefer lures.

It (possibly) has a steeper learning curve than bait and most people that start off may struggle to get any hits for a decent period of time before cracking the code. I think this is what gets people hooked - the moment they are able to become one with the lure and fool the very first fish. Suddenly everything becomes clear and its a light bulb moment. All those hard hours spent reading material online, watching youtube, and field practice (learning to fish with slack line instead of taut, dealing with wind knots which seemed to have come overnight that weren't there when bait fishing, finding the correct time to strike at apparent nibbles which would be ignored when bait fishing etc.). Then to reapply those techniques for the very next cast and come up empty handed! A constant learning process.

I think everyone has missed the point about this thread

Old mate stated that lures don't work and Trung was only making it obvious they do!!!

But they only work buy having the right tools for the job.

Great work!!

Trung keep it up

I think everyone has missed the point about this thread

Old mate stated that lures don't work and Trung was only making it obvious they do!!!

But they only work buy having the right tools for the job.

Great work!!

Trung keep it up

+10! You got it there Tinman... a lot of people have interpreted this post the wrong way! I laugh went I read how defenceful some ppl get!!! Relax everyone ... only suppose to be a bit of fun!

Of cause there will be some sort of bait in the life of ANY fisherperson... and I too have used live squid a few weeks back for Jews. I fish both lures and bait on rare occasions.

The only reason I worded this post this way was to make it more interesting for all to read and comment on... never intended to " bag bait fisho".

The post could have been: Went out today, caught these fish on a few lures.. Photo, photo .. thanks for reading! Now what fun would that be... ???

Some ppl have no sense of humour... haters will be haters!!!

Now.. back to the lure isle in Km@rt to buy more gulps.

DHYPE!

ps. went lure fishing today and we landed 1 keeper fish between the 2 of us... so maybe the old fellow was right and lures do not actually work! ( pls not hateful emails from lure fishos ok!) :)

Edited by dhype

mate i was out in front of bundeena beach just after anzac day and i have a ,mate that thinks im a fool for using lures, he too live poddy mullets out and i got smashed by a good sized flathead throwing a sp between his too lines, stil next time we go i reckon he will insist on going up river for some bait first. just cant teach some of them.

There is another well known site where "playing the man" is tolerated by the administrators. Here, people tend to express their opinions in a friendly manner and agree to disagree without resorting to name calling and slagging others. Let's keep it that way!

Trung, I thought your original post was excellent and written in the right spirit with a nice touch of humour. Your last reply indicates that lures and bait both work - SOMETIMES. Keep up the good work on the water and on here.

Each to their own. Fishing is a pleasurable pastime which people can enjoy in a myriad of ways. Provided they are acting within the rules we should just let them get on with it.

These debates are always fun and I love being a part of them.

Indeed bait and lures have their place, sometimes together, sometimes one or the other.

We just never know when one will outfish the other....

But guess what ?

That IS the reason why I fish.

People underestimate (or don't understand) the importance of the uncertainty.

I'll tell you why.

Some years ago, I found myself in a dilemma.

I was catching good fish every time I went out.

I should have been happy but I realised something was wrong....

I found myself quite flat, a bit bored and unable to enjoy the constant stream of fish I was getting.

Why ?

It dawned on me that I could predict where and when I was going to catch fish on bait and that took the magic away from me.

I needed to add some uncertainty to the equation to get back the magic.

So I began to experiment with SP's and did manage to catch a few fish which made it interesting for me.

I began to mix bait fishing in with lure fishing, but considering I had so much experience with bait and not so much with lures, my main catch was on bait.

I only use the lures sparingly, but I do use them to 'mix it up a little' so I can keep the magic alive.

Trung, I'm sure you would know what I mean and I hope this makes sense to others as well.

Thank goodness fishing is an inexact science else I would have given it up years ago and saved myself hundreds of thousands of dollars....... :074:

Something else to think about.

You can't buy bait at that shop you were in.

That old guy who was bagging lures was in the lure section....

He was watching what you were gonna buy

He was smarter than your average bear.....

He was buying some 'Uncertainty"....

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

There is another well known site where "playing the man" is tolerated by the administrators. Here, people tend to express their opinions in a friendly manner and agree to disagree without resorting to name calling and slagging others. Let's keep it that way!

Trung, I thought your original post was excellent and written in the right spirit with a nice touch of humour. Your last reply indicates that lures and bait both work - SOMETIMES. Keep up the good work on the water and on here.

Each to their own. Fishing is a pleasurable pastime which people can enjoy in a myriad of ways. Provided they are acting within the rules we should just let them get on with it.

Too true kel!!

Everyone knows that raiders are intelligent beings and can debate in a friendly manner :1gathering: